Biggest Single Season Turnarounds

Texsox

This team is slated for a big turnaround. They HAVE to be better in 2025.

Like, it would be such a Sox move to pick #10 in 2025 based on a historically awful 2024, then somehow avoid a high pick again in 2026 while still being a horrible team.

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Like, it would be such a Sox move to pick #10 in 2025 based on a historically awful 2024, then somehow avoid a high pick again in 2026 while still being a horrible team.

I don't know about a big turn around.  We are losing a lot of players, and there really isn't anyone to replace them, and the Sox are apparently now shopping at Goodwill for players because of budget problems.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know about a big turn around.  We are losing a lot of players, and there really isn't anyone to replace them, and the Sox are apparently now shopping at Goodwill for players because of budget problems.

You have to admit, it would be a Sox thing to have a big enough of a turnaround to get a mediocre draft pick, only to turn right back around and be horrible again and be ineligible for a top-9 pick the following year.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

You have to admit, it would be a Sox thing to have a big enough of a turnaround to get a mediocre draft pick, only to turn right back around and be horrible again and be ineligible for a top-9 pick the following year.

I just don't see where the improvement will come from.  Moncada is sure to be gone.  Robert is probably getting traded, as is Crochet.  There is no one at AAA who is an imminent threat of contributing at the major league level of substance.  The bullpen isn't going to get any better because we don't have money to spend.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I just don't see where the improvement will come from.  Moncada is sure to be gone.  Robert is probably getting traded, as is Crochet.  There is no one at AAA who is an imminent threat of contributing at the major league level of substance.  The bullpen isn't going to get any better because we don't have money to spend.

The thing is… with decent enough pitching like the Sox seem to be maybe capable of developing, the team could luck into a bunch of extra wins by buying some winning scratch-offs like Fedde. It doesn’t take much above replacement-level, which is what’s sad.

Getting from 40 wins to 70 wins seems possible for a 1-year blip. Going from 40 wins to back-to-back 70+ win seasons seems impossible.

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The only known improvement will be year to year improvement from the young players. There is also the possibility of a managerial change.

I'm with you that will all be negated by the loss of guys who are actual MLB level talent. 

34 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The only known improvement will be year to year improvement from the young players. There is also the possibility of a managerial change.

I'm with you that will all be negated by the loss of guys who are actual MLB level talent. 

And only if we don't do what we did last year with blocking them to play worthless trade candidates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

And only if we don't do what we did last year with blocking them to play worthless trade candidates.

Or rush them when they need time in the minors. 

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

Where are they going to pull 20-30 wins from? We will more than likely be without Crochet and Robert. There are no difference makers in the system that will be ready for next season. They aren't going to sign any difference maker free agents.

And this is to just get to 60 wins. Woof!

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Where are they going to pull 20-30 wins from? We will more than likely be without Crochet and Robert. There are no difference makers in the system that will be ready for next season. They aren't going to sign any difference maker free agents.

And this is to just get to 60 wins. Woof!

I have no idea. They main point is that they can screw up draft positioning.

Just now, JoeC said:

They'll be just fine. They will get the 10th pick in 2025 and then have the best odds at the top pick in 2026.

9 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Robert will be here to start 2025. He has been injured and bad in 2024. 

I can't see anyone giving anything for him this winter, and if he doesn't bounce back next year his 2026 option is in jeopardy. 

lol could you imagine the scenario where the Sox have to decline Roberts option. I would have put big money on 0% chance that happens.

29 minutes ago, JoeC said:

We are going to be something like 15 to 20 games behind the next worst team in baseball.  The closest team to us just absolutely loaded up at the deadline.  I am really not worried about us improving 25-30 games where we aren't one of the absolute worst teams in baseball next year.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

lol could you imagine the scenario where the Sox have to decline Roberts option. I would have put big money on 0% chance that happens.

Including Benny, the Sox have $50 million in committed payroll for 2025, with a roster total of somewhere under $70 million for opening day.  Robert better be dead if they decline his option, because if they do, the Sox will be dead as well.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Including Benny, the Sox have $50 million in committed payroll for 2025, with a roster total of somewhere under $70 million for opening day.  Robert better be dead if they decline his option, because if they do, the Sox will be dead as well.

He has a .714 OPS, 96 wRC+ and isn't even a positive fWAR defender this year. It is quite possible injuries have ruined him like they did Moncada. We'll have to wait until 2025 to find out. 

3 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He has a .714 OPS, 96 wRC+ and isn't even a positive fWAR defender this year. It is quite possible injuries have ruined him like they did Moncada. We'll have to wait until 2025 to find out. 

I really wonder if there is something deeper in this team.  It is uncanny how many free agents come here and have historically bad years.  It feels like there is something basic the rest of MLB is doing, which we are not.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really wonder if there is something deeper in this team.  It is uncanny how many free agents come here and have historically bad years.  It feels like there is something basic the rest of MLB is doing, which we are not.

I've thought that as well. You would think the players would object or at least continue what was working for them. 

The best explanation I've come up with is other teams do a better job of screening and evaluating. We miss stuff on the front end that other teams catch. 

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I've thought that as well. You would think the players would object or at least continue what was working for them. 

The best explanation I've come up with is other teams do a better job of screening and evaluating. We miss stuff on the front end that other teams catch. 

I think that is very true but I also think the mental aspect comes into play. This is a losing organization... basically has been since 2007. It permeates everything at all levels and you don't really realize how bad it is until you spend time in it, eventually that gets to you, especially if you are a player.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 10:29 AM, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly what we have been doing loading up on utility players.  This is 2024, not 1924.  It doesn't work anymore.

Grinder ball as in kids who bust their ass to play not slap hit singles.  Maybe grinder should be rephrased to BLUE COLLAR.

41 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Grinder ball as in kids who bust their ass to play not slap hit singles.  Maybe grinder should be rephrased to BLUE COLLAR.

How about modern baseball.  Let’s stop glorifying ages of MLB past and catch up to what is going on NOW

• Thanks 2