A bit of good news

Cali

We are probably not going to get Colon, so I'm kinda puzzled now as to who will fill the fifth spot in our rotation. Right now, I see Buehrle, Garland, Rauch, and Wright. Does this mean that KW's thinking of using Biddle in the starting rotation? I seriously don't think Biddle is the answer to our starting rotation.

We are probably not going to get Colon, so I'm kinda puzzled now as to who will fill the fifth spot in our rotation.  Right now, I see Buehrle, Garland, Rauch, and Wright.  Does this mean that KW's thinking of using Biddle in the starting rotation?  I seriously don't think Biddle is the answer to our starting rotation.

You think Biddle is not the answer? What about Rauch and Wright? They are no answer either, this staff blows. Even Garland hasn't proved himself to be consistent in this league. Our entire staff is based on potential and nothing proven. We are in deep s*** and nobody seems to notice.

We are probably not going to get Colon, so I'm kinda puzzled now as to who will fill the fifth spot in our rotation.  Right now, I see Buehrle, Garland, Rauch, and Wright.  Does this mean that KW's thinking of using Biddle in the starting rotation?  I seriously don't think Biddle is the answer to our starting rotation.

You think Biddle is not the answer? What about Rauch and Wright? They are no answer either, this staff blows. Even Garland hasn't proved himself to be consistent in this league. Our entire staff is based on potential and nothing proven. We are in deep s*** and nobody seems to notice.

Nothing is proven, correct ... but I think this staff will do just fine.

We are probably not going to get Colon, so I'm kinda puzzled now as to who will fill the fifth spot in our rotation.  Right now, I see Buehrle, Garland, Rauch, and Wright.  Does this mean that KW's thinking of using Biddle in the starting rotation?  I seriously don't think Biddle is the answer to our starting rotation.

I notice, believe me I notice. Of the group including Garland, Wright, Rauch and Biddle we need a minimum of three to be decent to good. If they all tank then we are swimming with KC and Det. It could be a very trying year. JR raised prices to take advantage of the All Star Game. If the team does poorly in 03 look for Montreal or Marlin style attendance figures in 04. The Sox need almost all of their young position players and pitchers to have break out years. That would be great but it's just not likely to happen.

I notice, believe me I notice. Of the group including Garland, Wright, Rauch and Biddle we need a minimum of three to be decent to good. If they all tank then we are swimming with KC and Det. It could be a very trying year. JR raised prices to take advantage of the All Star Game. If the team does poorly in 03 look for Montreal or Marlin style attendance figures in 04. The Sox need almost all of their young position players and pitchers to have break out years. That would be great but it's just not likely to happen.

That is why KW has to make a move to get us one or two decent FA pitchers.

...Right?

...Right?!

*pounding head into wall and screaming like Nancy Kerrigan*

Why? Why? Oh Whyyyyy!

*sobbing*

When is it OK to give up and become a Cards fan?

I notice, but for the moment am choosing to consciously ignore the fact that our rotation is a joke. I figure I may as well take advantage of "hope springs eternal" right up until the second day of the season, at which time the starters other than Buehrle get their turns. Then I will reach for the prozac.

Well I feel better about our rotation then most. I got a lot of confidence in Jon Rauch and I think wright, Garland and Buerhle are a pretty good top of the rotation. It would be an awesome top of the rotation if you throw Colon into that mix, with Rauch on the backend.

I like Biddle a lot and I think he's earned a shot, but he's a huge questionmark in my book cause he's never proven to me he can throw innings and go deep into games.

Wright and Garland have done so, as has Buerhle and I think Rauch will be able to do so.

Wright and Garland have done so, as has Buerhle and I think Rauch will be able to do so.

Garland is a hopefully..... as in hopefully he will find some consistency. Garland has the stuff..... he needs to bring it with him EVERY game. Wright is a big "if." "If" he can pitch the way some think he can, he'd be a solid number 2 or 3 on most teams. Rauch isn't even a lock to make the team and Biddle could go the way of starter or reliever. How anyone can be confident about our pitching, besides every 5 days when Buehrle goes out to the mound, puzzles me.

I think Garland will continue to develop into a solid starter. I remember one game I saw last year against Kansas City... Garland was on the bump and he was absolutely dealing. Aside for that game against Boston, I think that was the best I'd ever see Jon. Wright is still a 50/50, but he did show more consistency towards the end of the year. Barring any injury, I do believe we could realistically pencil in 40-45 wins for our top 3 starters, which is a pretty good start.

Last year's play-off teams (wins amongst top 3 pitchers):

ATHLETICS: 57; Barry Zito, 23; Mark Mulder, 19; Tim Hudson, 15

YANKEES: 50; David Wells, 19; Mike Mussina, 18, Roger Clemens/Andy Pettitte 13

ANGELS: 47; Jarrod Washburn, 18; Ramon Ortiz, 15; Kevin Appier, 14

TWINS: 41; Rick Reed, 15; Kyle Lohse, 13; Eric Milton, 13.

Add another veteran starter, and we've got something cooking here.

I notice, but for the moment am choosing to consciously ignore the fact that our rotation is a joke. I figure I may as well take advantage of "hope springs eternal" right up until the second day of the season, at which time the starters other than Buehrle get their turns. Then I will reach for the prozac.

lets look at wright, he has what last season, almost a 15 wins. you can't take that away from him. many pitchers would have loved to have that, esp ritchie. :lol:

that is why i am in the thinking that wright is a little ahead of garland.

I have to agree that the sox rotation is a little suspect at 4 and 5 but i really think our top there Mark, Jon, Danny should be alright they all showed signs of maturing and becoming better pitchers as the year went on. I really see good things from garland this season and like i said i think danny will be fine. If we can get 18 wins from mark and even 14 from danny and jon we will be fine. What we need to worry about more then our pitching is if Big frank can have a good year cause the way Thomas goes will have alot to do with how we go as a team he puts up some big numbers and we will win no doubt. I still would LOVE to se Cruz Jr playing LF Or CF with Lee being sent to the Expos and Colon brought here, but thats just wishful thinking

The Godfather

I have to agree that the sox rotation is a little suspect at 4 and 5 but i really think our top there Mark, Jon, Danny should be alright they all showed signs of maturing and becoming better pitchers as the year went on. I really see good things from garland this season and like i said i think danny will be fine. If we can get 18 wins from mark and even 14 from danny and jon we will be fine. What we need to worry about more then our pitching is if Big frank can have a good year cause the way Thomas goes will have alot to do with how we go as a team he puts up some big numbers and we will win no doubt. I still would LOVE to se Cruz Jr playing LF Or CF with Lee being sent to the Expos and Colon brought here, but thats just wishful thinking

The Godfather

i am going to say this again, big frank is going to hit, base on last yr, 250 25-30 hrs and 80+ rbi's. granted that may not be a big frank stat that we are used to, but that is good stats for most anybody else.

we will be solid with the rest of the position with no uncertainity with crede, jose and jimmez at 2b. the of may pose as a prob, which clee is going to show up, the 1 half or the 2 half. in addition we have a prob with cf'er.

i am thinking that we will see a better team this yr than we did last yr.

Doub....I think something you should factor in is the top 3 winners in our rotation....

WHITE SOX 45- Buehrle - 19  Wright - 14  Garland - 12

Buehrle, Wright, and Garland will only improve in 2003, as young pitchers with talent do with experience - that can be a solid first three - and if Rauch comes through, and Biddle can do the 5th spot - we've got something where we don't need anything else. Of course something good comes along - but I wouldn't wreck our team by giving up something good that will cost us. I'd welcome Ritchie too, he surely can contribute in 2003 better than in 2002.

So I am not panicking if we don't sign something. I think we have the pieces, they have to come through, and Jerry ahs to sue them wisely.

Not to dampen the mood but Garland had like 6 wins in the first and the six in the last 5 months pretty much, that's not inconsistant, that's consistantly crappy for much of the end.  I'm an optimist too that's the sad thing.

but someone who won what, 12 games, is again better than how many who won 10 games. in addition you have to still consider his age and put that into the equation.