Robert

2Deep

I Believe this deserves it's own thread.....(Mods feel free to disagree and delete).

WTF is wrong with Luis Robert?

A. He does not give a s%*#

B. Overvalued and Overhyped

C. Not fully healthy

He has regressed and looks like a shell of what he was at times last year.

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

I Believe this deserves it's own thread.....(Mods feel free to disagree and delete).

C. Not fully healthy

It is probably some combination of A and C.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

C. Not fully healthy

An equal combination of A, B, and C.

• Like 1

No one in the organization is really trying to win now. He's not wanted here. He's a piece of meat they tried to trade and couldn't. He knows he'll be gone as soon as someone makes a decent offer. 

Robert has more stolen bases 14 since July 1 than anyone in baseball so his legs are fine.

Again I think mentally he has thrown in the towel just wants to get through the end of the season.

But like with Moncada and Iloy he got huge money without proving anything and it has impacted him.

The Sox thought they were being smarter than everybody else by giving the big money to these guys early so they wouldn't have to potentially pay arbitration years, especially if the players did really well...and...it blew up in their faces. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Robert has more stolen bases 14 since July 1 than anyone in baseball so his legs are fine.

Again I think mentally he has thrown in the towel just wants to get through the end of the season.

But like with Moncada and Iloy he got huge money without proving anything and it has impacted him.

The Sox thought they were being smarter than everybody else by giving the big money to these guys early so they wouldn't have to potentially pay arbitration years, especially if the players did really well...and...it blew up in their faces. 

His swing also sucks now.  He’s not getting his hands back enough and is just jabbing at the ball.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Robert strikes me as a guy that if he went to the Dodgers, he’d look like an all-star. He looks like a guy totally checked out 

Agreed.

There really isn't any reason to check in. Look who he's playing with. I think getting back to playing games that matter is all he needs. 

16 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But I was assured his trade value would be better than last month if they just hold on to him longer. He’s following the Moncada path and will have negative surplus value by the last year of his contract.

He was never worth a monster haul people suggested

*ducks*

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 2Deep said:

C. Not fully healthy

I think zero protection is playing a much bigger role than people realize.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But I was assured his trade value would be better than last month if they just hold on to him longer. He’s following the Moncada path and will have negative surplus value by the last year of his contract.

You also assured us that Thorpe was better than Cease and that Crochet would be moved for a haul this deadline.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You also assured us that Thorpe was better than Cease and that Crochet would be moved for a haul this deadline.

If the Sox had a competent GM Crochet would have been moved for a haul last month and Robert would have been moved for a haul last offseason but here we are

• Like 2

Why would a losing franchise take on Robert? Why not trade him to contender? A contender will be more likely to part with assets for a player like Robert. A losing franchise won't.

Robert has always struck me as a guy going though the motions, but with his talent, the motion produced good results when he was locked in and healthy. But he doesn’t seem to possess a real ball player mentality

• Like 1

Luis Robert is the perfect distillation of the laziness of the White Sox’s staff.

Any other, professional organization with a guy coming up with his talent level, they would work with him on good habits like preparing for games and using information to be better. 

The White Sox firmly believe that this is too much work. This is where the lack of staff employed by the team matters. While he’s coming up, he isn’t coached, and when he’s healthy he has success based solely on his athletic gifts. 

When he gets to the big leagues, he doesn’t know the coaches names because he doesn’t want coaching and doesn’t believe in it. This has been said publicly, he doesn’t want scouting reports he just wants to do his thing, and no one in the White Sox organization was willing to correct it. Now, it has become a bad habit that he doesn’t think he needs to change, after all he’s an all star. They drop videos about how great of shape he’s in, but not about him working on recognizing pitches or studying film, because convincing him to do that and then teaching him effectively would take hard work, and the White Sox don’t do that.

Then a few injuries start nagging more, he goes from 99th percentile skills to something less than that at least for a time, and his athleticism doesn’t carry him as much as he used to. Because they allowed him to get away with not wanting to learn anything, he has not become a smarter player like many guys do with experience, he’s still trying to swing as hard as he can, but it’s just less effective.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Robert appears disinterested and often lethargic. He likely sees himself as being entrapped on a terrible roster. He had expectations of being on a championship team rather than playing on a hopeless dumpster fire. Of course, he misses the companionship and mentoring of Abreu, and interaction daily with Eloy, Moncada, and Grandal. But, it's difficult to feel sorry for a millionnaire. 

• Like 3