Pedro Grifol, Charlie Montoyo, Eddie Rodriguez, & Mike Tosar Fired (Grady Sizemore interim manager)

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

He is talking about the whole organization and I don't think he is wrong. They are in much better shape AS A WHOLE than they have been. Sucks real bad right now, but hopefully pays off in the next few years.

Shhh. You must read the room and go with the narrative.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Now fire Marco Paddy please.

It's time but it's Reinsdorf who doesn't like playing in the system in the Dominican Republic. Too much talent there is based on handshake agreements before they are 17. And in general he's never committed a lot of resources to scouting and PD.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Getz has been so unbelievably bad with his trades so far.  Couldn’t get worse results if he was trying to do bad.

He’s going to be GM until Jerry kicks the can.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Nobody is forcing you to go with any narrative.  Not one person.  No need for you to project this bs, you are smarter than that and honestly it’s hard watching you try to soothe say people on this site because you have a personal relationship with the team.

it isn’t some radical thought that this team is in a bad way and it’s absolutely ok to look at this result and continue to believe that.  

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

33 minutes ago, ptatc said:

LOL, what have the Sox gotten right in ages?  How could you possibly be surprised by this current reaction?

Getz is now selling the fact that he will likely acquire a manager from outside of the Sox organization.  This is hilarious considering HIS CURRENT ROLE AS GM should have been filled from someone outside of the Sox organization!  I guess the Sox were a year too late on this hiring from outside strategy, as we might actually have a competent GM right now rather than an unqualified loyal to Jerry lap dog.

His offseason was a failure.  His trade deadline was a failure.  His entire season was a failure, and he may set the season record for futility.

And here you are, mocking anyone who doubts and questions this absolute failure of a GM.  Amazing.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You make yourself look really bad with these kind of posts. 

They're on pace FOR THE WORST RECORD IN MLB HISTORY. The owner said before the season started, he expected better results than 2023, a year in which the Sox finished 61-101. 

There is no "narrative" 

There are facts, and I would have thought someone with a medical background like yourself would lean on the side of using historical evidence and data to come to rational conclusions. I guess I was wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 3

1 hour ago, fathom said:

How many guys that pitch like he does are upper rotation guys now?  Hendricks from 8 years ago?  He doesn’t have the movement on his fastball to combat the lack of velocity.

How many guys have that elite of change up? 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How many guys have that elite of change up? 

For a righty starter?  Maybe Michael Wacha, who’s been nothing special in his career (one fWAR season over 3 in his career).  Devin Williams has the best change up in baseball now, but he doesn’t have to face more than a few batters every game.  I think it’s scary that the two teams that faced Thorpe a second time absolutely shelled him.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's tough to see any rays of sunshine fighting their way out of the black hole season but there are a couple. For me the biggest is watching the farm system move up in potential. 

The Sox likely will never simultaneously have a top farm system and a top team. They lower one to raise the other. Trading the last couple of MLB players with any value will raise the farm further. 

Going outside for the interim was a pleasant surprise. 

But it is easier to be pessimistic about all things Sox. 

47 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nobody is forcing you to go with any narrative.  Not one person.  No need for you to project this bs, you are smarter than that and honestly it’s hard watching you try to soothe say people on this site because you have a personal relationship with the team.

it isn’t some radical thought that this team is in a bad way and it’s absolutely ok to look at this result and continue to believe that.  

I'm of the same mind as Ptatc - I think this organization has been in absolutely DIRE straits for years, and we're finally seeing it all crash and burn this season. The minors have been barren, the coaching and player development are way behind everyone else, the managerial hires were horrible, no one could stay healthy, and the major league team terribly misallocated funds on marginal players. This season was inevitable, and I don't think there was much they could do (especially given Reinsdorf's operating restrictions) to avoid it.

Also, I do think Getz is trying to fix it, I think he has some good ideas, and I think they've made some solid moves. Also some terrible ones. He's probably not qualified for this role (and I don't know if he was even qualified for his previous role), but he might be able to grow into it. That might be the best we can hope for until Reinsdorf no longer owns the team. It's a pretty bleak situation, but that's where we are.

Edited by almagest

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

I'm of the same mind as Ptatc - I think this organization has been in absolutely DIRE straits for years, and we're finally seeing it all crash and burn this season. The minors have been barren, the coaching and player development are way behind everyone else, the managerial hires were horrible, no one could stay healthy, and the major league team terribly misallocated funds on marginal players. This season was inevitable, and I don't think there was much they could do (especially given Reinsdorf's operating restrictions) to avoid it.

Also, I do think Getz is trying to fix it, I think he has some good ideas, and I think they've made some solid moves. Also some terrible ones. He's probably not qualified for this role (and I don't know if he was even qualified for his previous role), but he might be able to grow into it. That might be the best we can hope for until Reinsdorf no longer owns the team. It's a pretty bleak situation, but that's where we are.

Well, yes, I do think there is a bunch of people in the org with the right intentions and just aren't good at their jobs. I just don't think in a industry like this that deserves much plaudits.

A good example is Getz actually did a lot to modernize our player development. If you were to look at it in 2024 vs. 2014, it would look like the space age...

The problem is it's probably as far behind other clubs in 2024 as it was in 2014 to other clubs. Other teams progress too. And even the freaking rockies struggled to put together a team that was not the worst in baseball history.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

For a righty starter?  Maybe Michael Wacha, who’s been nothing special in his career (one fWAR season over 3 in his career).  Devin Williams has the best change up in baseball now, but he doesn’t have to face more than a few batters every game.  I think it’s scary that the two teams that faced Thorpe a second time absolutely shelled him.

He had a strained forearm dude.  Who gives a s%*# about his last two starts?  What about the 6-7 starts prior to that where he was nails?  I guess we'll just forgot about those. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He had a strained forearm dude.  Who gives a s%*# about his last two starts?  What about the 6-7 starts prior to that where he was nails?  I guess we'll just forgot about those. 

strained forearm eh. Nothing to worry about

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well, yes, I do think there is a bunch of people in the org with the right intentions and just aren't good at their jobs. I just don't think in a industry like this that deserves much plaudits.

A good example is Getz actually did a lot to modernize our player development. If you were to look at it in 2024 vs. 2014, it would look like the space age...

The problem is it's probably as far behind other clubs in 2024 as it was in 2014 to other clubs. Other teams progress too. And even the freaking rockies struggled to put together a team that was not the worst in baseball history.

I don't think we should be hoisting Getz around on our shoulders as a savior, but I also don't think he has much of anything to work with right now and he's starting in such a hole that patience is useful, even if to just save yourself from how rough negativity in fandom can become.

The real killer was the promise of how "easy" it would be to turn this team around in a year. We all knew that was bullshit, but if you say that stuff in public as the damn OWNER of the franchise you'd better make sure it will be backed up.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

strained forearm eh. Nothing to worry about

Oh im very worried about the strained forearm.  TJS is probably coming and that blows.  But writing Thorpe off as a back of the rotation starter because he doesn't throw 97 is stupid. 

Just now, almagest said:

I don't think we should be hoisting Getz around on our shoulders as a savior, but I also don't think he has much of anything to work with right now and he's starting in such a hole that patience is useful, even if to just save yourself from how rough negativity in fandom can become.

The real killer was the promise of how "easy" it would be to turn this team around in a year. We all knew that was bullshit, but if you say that stuff in public as the damn OWNER of the franchise you'd better make sure it will be backed up.

There have been plenty of bad situations in baseball, where the front office was still able to work the margins to put together a normal bad team. That is what even Rick Hahn could do in 2017-2019. 60 wins, normal bad.

On the margins, you can still find acceptably bad bullpens. 1-2 WAR ball players for a few million. 

If you can't do that stuff, you can't do the harder stuff.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Oh im very worried about the strained forearm.  TJS is probably coming and that blows.  But writing Thorpe off as a back of the rotation starter because he doesn't throw 97 is stupid. 

I mean there's not throwing 97 and...throwing in the 1 percentile. 

Just now, almagest said:

I get this.  And even dismissing that a lot of the lacking minor league development can be attributed to him, I have found that it’s extremely hard to believe that he is doing many good things that will lead to the structure and development that we all want so badly.  Currently we are hoping that the crown jewel of the current tear down trade return doesn’t need Tommy John surgery, and the rest of the guys have bounced up and down from the minors or we haven’t seen them yet.  

I believe that I afforded this organization a shitload of patience starting in 2016 and they can f*** off if they believe that they need more from me.  I’m out 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Interesting that Getz already decided against Sizemore being permanent. I'm not certain who that benefits. 

The Score guys hypothesized that this is why they didn’t have all the moves listed in the initial press release that Grifol was fired.  They thought the Sox weren’t sure who the interim manager would be.  They guessed that the Sox initially asked Montoyo to be the interim manager but he either turned it down or asked for more money to take on a team that could set the record for worse season record, which is why they pivoted to Sizemore.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Come on man.

The major league team is on pace for 40 wins.  40 wins TOTAL.  Literally on pace to the the worst team in MLB HISTORY, since the formation of the American League in 1901.

The AAA team is 9 games under .500, and has one prospect who has had a big year on it.

The AA team won the first half, but has slumped pretty hard since that point, currently 8 over .500.

The A+ team is 22 games under .500

The A team has had a big year, 30 games over.

The rookie team is 8 games under.

The DSL team was 12 games under .500 on their one DSL team, where the Sox have historically underspent almost all of baseball.  Even if they start going full next year, that talent is probably 5-7 years away because of their age.

As a whole, the minor league system is basically 20 games under .500.  Their ranking is 8th as whole according to BA.  They still majorly lack high end offensive talent to any degree which could fill the holes that currently exist on the major league roster, let alone when guys like Robert and Crochet are inevitably dealt.  At best there is some if you squint type of talent in the lowest levels of the minors.  The deals this team made at the deadline were nationally mocked for lacking game changing talent.

You might not like the so called "narrative", but there is a very legitimate reason it exists.  Even if you want to assume that the White Sox somehow do something they haven't been willing to do for the last 45 years and make actual investments in the on the field management team, and player development, scouting, and the international markets those things are still years away from paying dividends, even if they are 100% done the right way.  You dismiss this as a "narrative", the rest of us see it as reality.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And what if he doesn’t get back his fastball to top off at 93 MPH after the eventual TJ surgery?