Pedro Grifol, Charlie Montoyo, Eddie Rodriguez, & Mike Tosar Fired (Grady Sizemore interim manager)

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

You give 29 other general managers the same situation and none of them would be likely to break the 62 mets record. You are fooling yourself how bad this was. 

They let players go like Declan Cronin ...for free. He'd be one of our best bullpen pitchers. They let Romy Gonzalez go...for free. He would be our 4th best player. And yes that's embarrassing, but they were the ones who made decisions like tendering Nicky Lopez and signing him for 4.3 million.

Do you want to see what they could have gotten for 4.3 million if they were already going to give spots to veterans? https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/transactions

Shoot, Jurickson Profar signed for $1 Million, and is on pace for 7 fWAR.

They had a rule 5 draft, took one player who never played. No room - despite selling off pieces of our 40 man a few months later.

Interesting guys are passing through waivers every day. We are starting Gavin Sheets in RF.

It is pretty hard to make a 43 win roster, and my evidence is 150 years of baseball history.

Profar is total hindsight, come on. No one expected he'd be this good. That's why he signed for a million, plus he signed where he was already playing.

The Sox also brought in plenty of guys to try in RF. It's not like they stuck Sheets out there for every game this year. Also, if you look at Sportrac for the 2023-2024 offseason, you won't see anyone that was possible to sign that would've made anything but a marginal difference at best in RF: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/transactions/_/start/2023-11-01/end/2024-04-01/position/rf. Going up by 0.2 WAR isn't gonna make this team win 20 more games. Also, who on the recent transaction list is more interesting right now than giving Colas or Fletcher an extended shot? I'm not seeing anyone.

Romy Gonzales has played in 49 games. It might have been a mistake to let him go (personally, I think he's not very good and has small sample size success), but he wouldn't change their record.

Cronin should've been kept, I agree. The bullpen is ATROCIOUS, though. He would only help a little. Doesn't matter much if you get an inning or two more of solid relief every couple days when the rest of the 'pen can't get anyone out.

You're right that it's near impossible to only win 40 games. That's how poorly the Sox have been run for the past 8+ years - the product on the field now is the result of the decisions made since the sell-off in 2016. Not just from this offseason.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Who are the candidates to take over the position full time then? I saw Morosi say Gibbons and Fetter. Obviously Schumaker. Anyone else in contention?

My guess is that Sizemore gets the gig fulltime in the offseason.  Any sign of life, look he did great.  If they still suck, well lets give him next year.  JR loves his low cost first time hires.  More nickels in his pocket.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He’s on an absolute tear lately and would definitely be our best hitter.  Yes, I know that isn’t saying much.  But let’s how he finishes the season after a terribly slow start to it.

If Burger was on this team, you'd have absolutely torched him all season. But of course since he's not, he's the next Edgar Martinez. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

My guess is that Sizemore gets the gig fulltime in the offseason.  Any sign of life, look he did great.  If they still suck, well lets give him next year.  JR loves his low cost first time hires.  More nickels in his pocket.  

Getz eliminated anybody currently on the Sox staff when he said they are going outside the organization. (Now we will see if that comes to pass...)

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

And what if an asteroid hits earth? 

You acknowledged that he likely has TJ surgery in his future.  His fastball is already very low velocity.  Thorpe losing a couple ticks off of his already low velocity fastball after TJ surgery is the equivalent of an asteroid hitting the earth?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You acknowledged that he likely has TJ surgery in his future.  His fastball is already very low velocity.  Thorpe losing a couple ticks off of his already low velocity fastball is the equivalent of an asteroid hitting the earth?

So does Schultz.  Are we knocking him down too?  It might not be now, but it will come eventually.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If Burger was on this team, you'd have absolutely torched him all season. But of course since he's not, he's the next Edgar Martinez. 

He’s hitting better than Robert.  It’s pathetic.

I do think it’s funny that the Sox traded away Burger who can hit home runs but has no glove last trade deadline and then acquired a guy who can’t hit at all and can’t play defense this trade deadline in Vargas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

I don't think he Burger trade was bad (I was one of the only ones defending the trade at the time). We sold at his peak and he's been awful since. 

I wouldn't say he has been awful. Since leaving the Sox in 145 games he has 31 homers and 77 RBI playing 1st and 3rd. He has picked it up in his last 30 games after slumping for a bit.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, almagest said:

Profar is total hindsight, come on. No one expected he'd be this good. That's why he signed for a million, plus he signed where he was already playing.

The Sox also brought in plenty of guys to try in RF. It's not like they stuck Sheets out there for every game this year. Also, if you look at Sportrac for the 2023-2024 offseason, you won't see anyone that was possible to sign that would've made anything but a marginal difference at best in RF: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/transactions/_/start/2023-11-01/end/2024-04-01/position/rf. Going up by 0.2 WAR isn't gonna make this team win 20 more games. Also, who on the recent transaction list is more interesting right now than giving Colas or Fletcher an extended shot? I'm not seeing anyone.

Romy Gonzales has played in 49 games. It might have been a mistake to let him go (personally, I think he's not very good and has small sample size success), but he wouldn't change their record.

Cronin should've been kept, I agree. The bullpen is ATROCIOUS, though. He would only help a little. Doesn't matter much if you get an inning or two more of solid relief every couple days when the rest of the 'pen can't get anyone out.

You're right that it's near impossible to only win 40 games. That's how poorly the Sox have been run for the past 8+ years - the product on the field now is the result of the decisions made since the sell-off in 2016. Not just from this offseason.

I believe we all knew he'd be better than Nicky fucking Lopez based on everything and poof, he has been! Isn't that crazy?

Getz sucks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NWsideSoxfan said:

I wouldn't say he has been awful. Since leaving the Sox in 145 games he has 31 homers and 77 RBI playing 1st and 3rd. He has picked it up in his last 30 games after slumping for a bit.

Yeah his injury really hampered him early this year but otherwise he's been terrific for Miami. Trading Burger for a potential 40 man roster casualty like Eder was inexcusable and even worse now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Yeah I don’t see it. They’re farther away from being a .500 team than they have in a long time.  There are very few, if any, players that you can clearly state will be a starting player for this team come 2028.

I'm not sure that's a criteria for a team to be good or even to show progress.

Think about what you said.  You cannot CLEARLY STATE very few players in any franchise will be starting for the same organization they are in now in 2028.

We'd like to say Schultz and Smith but realistically one cannot CLEARLY STATE it. One man's opinion is different than another's so clearly stating anything is ambiguous enough to sound like a clever thing to say but what does it mean? Does it mean accurately predict or just have a strong opinion about it ? 

When you take into account Free Agency trades ,regression, injuries, maybe only the teams with the best young player talent or stars locked up long term you can do that.

Rutschman ,Henderson Holliday , Westburg ,Cowser, Kjerstad, Basallo, Mayo, Urias. Those are the Orioles top young players and prospects. I'm probably missing 1 or 2 but do you think you can name 3 that will be in the O's starting lineup in 2028? Does starting mean start over 50 % of games. I would assume starting pitching counts too. Is there any one O's pitcher you can clearly state will be a mainstay in the rotation ?

This should be the easy team to do it with because they are a top team with the best young talent. But 2028 is a long time from now. s%*# happens. Try doing the same thing with teams hovering around .500 with a bunch of guys who are eligible for Free Agency in 2025,26 and 27. How are Judge,Freeman and Betts going to be in 2028 ?

Not trying to be a dick but you can't really be challenged on it because its 3 years down the line so no one's going to keep track of it.

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I believe we all knew he'd be better than Nicky fucking Lopez based on everything and poof, he has been! Isn't that crazy?

Getz sucks

No, we didn’t. Profar sucks on defense, only had one solid year before this, and only has 1.5 more WAR in like 5 more seasons than Lopez. Profar also barely plays second base now. He’s mostly a left fielder, where we’re already paying Benintendi 70 million to suck.

50 minutes ago, almagest said:

Yes, they brought in guys, and they have been below replacement. Because the white sox are worse at this than other teams. A lot of other teams used their resources more wisely than Chris Getz. ANd his team is historically bad. At each step along the way, when the sox had a decision to make on what players to keep, let go, change, they made the wrong choice nearly every time except for Paul Dejong and Eric Fedde.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Getz sucks

my point was also that lopez in particular was a $4 million roster decision that was easy to say you could put to better use. He was often referred to when they traded to the sox as a likely non-tender candidate. There isn't just Profar, he was just an example of hitting a home run with that.

There are a lot of, especially relief, options that signed for less than Nicky, literally why I put the list. Lots of small signings.

At the margins, Getz got crushed.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

my point was also that lopez in particular was a $4 million roster decision that was easy to say you could put to better use. He was often referred to when they traded to the sox as a likely non-tender candidate. There isn't just Profar, he was just an example of hitting a home run with that.

There are a lot of, especially relief, options that signed for less than Nicky, literally why I put the list. Lots of small signings.

We're agreeing with one another

59 minutes ago, almagest said:

No, we didn’t. Profar sucks on defense, only had one solid year before this, and only has 1.5 more WAR in like 5 more seasons than Lopez. Profar also barely plays second base now. He’s mostly a left fielder, where we’re already paying Benintendi 70 million to suck.

We literally did and you just said it. Profer also has more than 1 good year. He had a few with an OPS north of .750 iirc. Lopez is complete s%*# and does nothing well. I'm sick of the WAR argument. Moncada had a season where his WAR was really good and anyone with 2 eyes could've told you it was misleading

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The Sox wasted over 20 million bucks on guys who are or were horrible this year and some of those have already been released or traded. Just wasted JR money, a lot of it which continues a pattern of wasting money on stiffs, has-been's and retreads for a decade now. 

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

Are you saying the same thing about Benintendi who hasn’t been bad lately?

He’s improving but he has also bad two seasons in a row.  Burger has not been bad for two seasons in a row and also isn’t earning $16.5 million dollars a year.  I would expect a player who received the highest contract ever given out by the White Sox to at least put up an average performance or higher.  Benintendi hasn’t even been close.  Not really a good comparison.

Edited by WhiteSox2023