Pedro Grifol, Charlie Montoyo, Eddie Rodriguez, & Mike Tosar Fired (Grady Sizemore interim manager)

12 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

He is talking about the whole organization and I don't think he is wrong. They are in much better shape AS A WHOLE than they have been. Sucks real bad right now, but hopefully pays off in the next few years.

Yeah I don’t see it. They’re farther away from being a .500 team than they have in a long time.  There are very few, if any, players that you can clearly state will be a starting player for this team come 2028.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

Yeah I don’t see it. They’re farther away from being a .500 team than they have in a long time.  There are very few, if any, players that you can clearly state will be a starting player for this team come 2028.

My thought is who has Getz added that you can say, wow, that guy is really going to help? Thorpe I guess. But he cost Cease, and who knows how long he lasts until surgery. The draft pick I liked. But everyone else is a fringe guy. He still hasn't acquired anyone that can make the manager say, we have to sit Sheets.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

My thought is who has Getz added that you can say, wow, that guy is really going to help? Thorpe I guess. But he cost Cease, and who knows how long he lasts until surgery. The draft pick I liked. But everyone else is a fringe guy. He still hasn't acquired anyone that can make the manager say, we have to sit Sheets.

I think we'll be able to have clearer picture once Garrett and Luis are gone. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Thorpe is a back-end, seemingly easily replaceable starting pitcher. Again, crazy they let such a low ceiling guy headline that deal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

yeah I think at times we see incremental progress in some areas from themselves and think they are improving but it's still unclear whether it's catching up to any other team.

I am fairly certain this group isn't going to work. They may get stars to align and we see a 78 win team or something.

It's bleak. So much worse than anywhere else.

I remember reading Astroball, and Sig Mejdal leaving with Elias and saying basically he liked the challenge of building back up. And the orioles were a nightmare with Angelos. They hadn't done international for 2 decades. They were cheap. Their farm was garbage. They just sold their fan favorites. 

And yet funny enough they were only a few years removed from a run of consistent competing that the sox could only dream of.

I can't even comprehend a hire that good coming here. It would be so much fun. They'd know how to build the org to plan for the low spending. They'd piss off the defensiveness of this org "Oh sure that team is trying something new but sometimes new things fail! our way of doing nothing new ever is way safer" that is the ethos of the scouts and all their friends that post stuff.

Would be glorious.

My favorite Getz/Grifol thing is specifically spending capital to get lower ceiling but, what they believed to be, currently ready for mlb competency guys who turned out to all be bad enough they couldn't even find playing time on the worst mlb team of all time.

Oh zack deloach and dom fletcher, you have been a treat.

• Like 5
  • Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

My favorite Getz/Grifol thing is specifically spending capital to get lower ceiling but, what they believed to be, currently ready for mlb competency guys who turned out to all be bad enough they couldn't even find playing time on the worst mlb team of all time.

Getz has been so unbelievably bad with his trades so far.  Couldn’t get worse results if he was trying to do bad.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Thorpe is a back-end, seemingly easily replaceable starting pitcher. Again, crazy they let such a low ceiling guy headline that deal.

You keep repeating this and it is kind of a crazy take.  He got shelled his last two starts which skewed the heck out his numbers, but he was awesome prior to that and has an unreal minor league resume.  Thorpe doesn't have amazing stuff so isn't ever going to be a prototypical "ace" but he can absolutely be a very good mid to upper rotation guy.  

It absolutely blows if he ultimately needs TJS, tho.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You keep repeating this and it is kind of a crazy take.  He got shelled his last two starts which skewed the heck out his numbers, but he was awesome prior to that and has an unreal minor league resume.  Thorpe doesn't have amazing stuff so isn't ever going to be a prototypical "ace" but he can absolutely be a very good mid to upper rotation guy.  

It absolutely blows if he ultimately needs TJS, tho.  

How many guys that pitch like he does are upper rotation guys now?  Hendricks from 8 years ago?  He doesn’t have the movement on his fastball to combat the lack of velocity.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

My wife who knows nothing about baseball,  hated Pedro. She thought he was pompous. That brings me to Getz. How does a GM of a 28-89 team with the 10th pick of the next draft , actually say this team isn't far off?

To get fans to not focus on the part of the statement about not spending money.

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

That happened because that's the 'top 100" player that the Padres wanted to give up.  Getz never makes the other team feel any pain or real sense of loss in a trade.  Always on the other teams' terms.

Pedro should have been fired last yea after he did nothing but lose with a decent (although flawed) roster and was bitching about the "clubhouse" the whole way.  He is a  terrible manager so no time is a bad time to dump him.  I'm also glad that Getz didn't stop with Grifol and cleared out a lot of the dugout.

Big opportunity for Sizemore; he was an intern a year ago, out of baseball for 5 or so seasons before that.  Can't say that he's "qualified' for this position, but let's see what he can do.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

And then at the first of struggle (or, in Colas' case, breathing), it's back to the minors, because otherwise they might lose games.

Wait a minute...

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m shocked they actually did it.  If they waited this long, why not wait until the end of the season?  Nothing this team does makes any sense.

Extended job interview? 

4 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

If they would have canned him at the all star break (which was the obvious solution) they dont get to a 21 game losing streak, nor are they definitely going to break the all time worst record. Getz sucks so so badly

Crystal ballsy . Don't know how you came to that conclusion 1-18 since the break. Predicting alternate outcomes based on 19 games with a new manager when you have the same players is odd. How many more wins do you think a managerial change would've meant ?

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I think Quero is opening day C in 2025.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

He’s the one guy I forgot but didn’t want to edit my post after others quoted it

Garfein mentioned something about his hitting, basically he never hits the other way.  100% dead pull guy