The Sox aren't spending "right now"

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This was slid into the presser, but probably worth its own thread.

In other words JR, "fiscal responsibility" mantra continues to be rule #1. 

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Easily losing 115 games next year

just looked up Juan Soto's age, I thought he was like 29. 

he's 25.

imagine at least having him on the roster for the next 13-14 years (that's what it's gonna take i'd imagine)

i'll say this, by the time this team is good again, jerry probably won't be around to see it and it's all his own damn fault

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

On a side note, Maddog went on a 5 minute rant about Reinsdorf on his show at noon on Sirus.

Among other things, he wailed on JR for hiring unqualified GMs Hahn and Getz.

Hahn actually did have a fair amount of experience coming up through the organization and serving as a long time assistant GM, who even turned down interviews for other GM jobs.

I kind of get the theory that 1. A large portion of free agent contracts go bad in a hurry and therefore 2. Spending years ahead of the anticipated time of contention has a high chance of leaving you with dead weight rather than a stacked roster.

That said, you should really look at the free agent classes of the past 5 or so years. It's...really bad. No matter how much money you want to spend, you're not going to be able to buy yourself into contention in one offseason unless something changes in terms of the quality of player reaching free agency. The ideal is probably identifying the good long-term investments and "buying" them as soon as they are available even if it just moves you from 70 wins to 75. But if it was so easy to identify those players, every team would be building through free agency.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I can't see bringing in anyone high dollar until 2026 or 2027. 

I mean that was the whole point of taking a pessimistic view of how long this would take.  We KNEW that Jerry wasn't going to spend for while, and even when it does, it won't be in the A tier.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean that was the whole point of taking a pessimistic view of how long this would take.  We KNEW that Jerry wasn't going to spend for while, and even when it does, it won't be in the A tier.

The A tier isn't coming here unless our offer was way better than everybody else. 

Plus until we see how our future "Star" players develop we're guessing which holes to fill. 

So another year of Beni level free agents. Then he better open the wallet for multiple championship opportunities 

We wouldn't be able to sign any high-caliber FA for the foreseeable future anyways.

What I WOULD like to see them do is to start spending money on an analytics department.

20 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I can't see bringing in anyone high dollar until 2026 or 2027. 

putting an entire roster of kids through 162 games of failure, for multiple seasons, id imagine that wouldn't be good for their development 

No reason to spend next year and depending on who is available and how things are going, most likely the year after as well.

Hopefully they’ve learned finally they need to spend 40m on one stud not 2 to 8m on 4 or 5 guys.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can't disagree with it.  

Sure you can. Why are we OK with them being bad for the next 3-4 years? Fans spend money on the team, the owner doesn't share that same interest. While the end result may still be the same...there is a big difference between going .500 and playing .239 baseball. 

Jerry got the Sox into this mess. We should absolutely expect more. 

• Like 3