The Sox aren't spending "right now"

7 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Both.  He is cheap and signing guys to expensive four year deals is not the same as intelligent ten year deals to stars.  Reinsdorf’s version gets him off the hook in a couple years.  That’s very temporary spending.

Also based on things we’ve read and surveys done guys do not want to come here, I think that’s pretty obvious.  I don’t think a change in ownership does much to change that… What star wants to come to Chicago’s forgotten team?   Stars want to be seen.  The damage Reinsdorf has done the last ten years can’t be undone, IMHO

If we accept that all things being equal, guys won't choose to come here, then JR has two options

Continue to make offers that aren't accepted and look cheap.

Overpay for the Beni's of the league and appear stupid. 

Liam is one of the few exceptions. 

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s 100% what he said.  They will obviously spend some money, and likely quite a bit given our limited payroll commitments, but it’s going to be a bunch of smaller scale and short-term signings.

Realistically, Colas Sosa Ramos Baldwin Vaughn (last shot), maybe Jelks, Quero/Lee, Fletcher, Benintendi (stuck with for now)…there should be a young player at EVERY position.  Complete youth movement other than AB and maybe a veteran 3rd catcher to help mentor the pitching staff but not at Maldonado or Stassi dollars.

Then you have Montgomery, Elko, Ja.Gonzalez…starting off in AA/AAA.  Quero for the first 2-3 months but might as well play him when he’s remotely close because he’s unlikely to be a core guy who gets an extension because of limited power (see Narvaez) but you just never know.

Finally, the dance over when to trade Crochet for a premium position player return without getting him hurt again…and might help to remember Robert is still stuck with us and vice versa.

Edited by caulfield12

31 minutes ago, Highland said:

In a way whether JR spends or not doesn't matter to me. I have no confidence in this so-called rebuild. Absolutely none.

Without stars, you’re not going anywhere.

We might have ONE.  Might.  Robert or Crochet.

Whether Smith Schultz or Montgomery might one day make it…remains to be seen.  Odds are in favor of just one turning out like expected or projected.  And that’s being generous.  The White Sox problem has even more-so been finding those complementary 2-3 fWAR guys that fill up half the lineup card, at least ideally.

But if you look at Witt, Jr., Jose Ramirez, Skubal, Buxton/Lewis/Correa, divisional rivals are all much deeper in top end talent at the MLB level, and Minnesota CLE and Detroit all have stronger farm systems as well.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Realistically, Colas Sosa Ramos Baldwin Vaughn (last shot), maybe Jelks, Quero/Lee, Fletcher, Benintendi (stuck with for now)…there should be a young player at EVERY position.  Complete youth movement other than AB and maybe a veteran 3rd catcher to help mentor the pitching staff but not at Maldonado or Stassi dollars.

Then you have Montgomery, Elko, Ja.Gonzalez…starting off in AA/AAA.  Quero for the first 2-3 months but might as well play him when he’s remotely close because he’s unlikely to be a core guy who gets an extension because of limited power (see Narvaez) but you just never know.

Finally, the dance over when to trade Crochet for a premium position player return without getting him hurt again…and might help to remember Robert is still stuck with us and vice versa.

Here is what I would do.  Obviously a trade return for Crochet could potentially change things.  I’m also assuming they hold Robert into next season as I don’t think offers will magically get better in the offseason for him.

• 1B: Vet FA or Trade
  • 2B: Sosa
  • SS: Baldwin*
  • 3B: Vargas
  • LF: Benintendi*
  • CF: Robert
  • RF: Fletcher*
  • DH: Colas* (rotate in OF)
  • CA: Quero# (May 1st)

I would not waste a second more on Vaughn or Sheets.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here is what I would do.  Obviously a trade return for Crochet could potentially change things.  I’m also assuming they hold Robert into next season as I don’t think offers will magically get better in the offseason for him.

Would Getz get more for Crochet than the underwhelming return he got for Cease?  I doubt it would change anything.

51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed that Vaughn needs to go, but I'd give Elko a shot at 1B. He's been pretty good at every stop, and assuming he continues to play well in AAA there's no reason to spend resources on 1B. The rest makes sense.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m pretty sure Vargas was moved off of 3B to 2B and then LF because his glove is so bad.

• Like 1

I want to move on from both of those guys as well. I just don't know who I would sign to play 1B. Josh Bell maybe to a 2-year deal or 1 year with an option? I don't know.

Christian Walker is a free agent after this year as well and 34, so maybe you can overpay him a bit on a short-term, 2-3 year deal and look to trade him in the summer.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

58 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Would Getz get more for Crochet than the underwhelming return he got for Cease?  I doubt it would change anything.

I think he’ll do well for Crochet since he’s a legit ace, but last I checked it was a pretty strong SP market so that could pose some risk.

I think Baldwin isn't going to the flash above average arm or range for SS.  Ultimately seems like a poor man’s Whit Merrifield.

The big problem here is that Baldwin Sosa and Vargas all profile at second as hitters and likely their best defensive spots, although one could debate Sosa at third. Just not seeing what plus tools he possesses.  More like the 25th/26th guy on the roster.

In a perfect world, you still have Burger just to watch some actual credible offense, but hope and pray Montgomery hits enough for third with offseason back strengthening, then you have your 2ish fWAR 2B out of those three aforementioned names and possibly Jacob Gonzalez.  (Have little to no confidence in Vargas or Sosa, though.)

I would give Ramos 3B to start the season, until/unless someone can take it away, which might not be all that hard.  He has completely fallen off the map, but not so long ago was on the periphery of Top 100.

If I could get someone like Adames or HS Kim or Brendan Rodgers…that would be the best position to stabilize on the field, and add one veteran leader.  But Jerry won’t authorize the spending.

Julks?  Hope you can find someone better.

Just let Lee keep getting at-bats at catcher until someone takes the spot away.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That team is going to be lucky to win 50 games when you consider the rotation will be total garbage and Robert gets dealt.

56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think Baldwin isn't going to the flash above average arm or range for SS.  Ultimately seems like a poor man’s Whit Merrifield.

The big problem here is that Baldwin Sosa and Vargas all profile at second as hitters and likely their best defensive spots, although one could debate Sosa at third. Just not seeing what plus tools he possesses.  More like the 25th/26th guy on the roster.

In a perfect world, you still have Burger just to watch some actual credible offense, but hope and pray Montgomery hits enough for third with offseason back strengthening, then you have your 2ish fWAR 2B out of those three aforementioned names and possibly Jacob Gonzalez.  (Have little to no confidence in Vargas or Sosa, though.)

I would give Ramos 3B to start the season, until/unless someone can take it away, which might not be all that hard.  He has completely fallen off the map, but not so long ago was on the periphery of Top 100.

If I could get someone like Adames or HS Kim or Brendan Rodgers…that would be the best position to stabilize on the field, and add one veteran leader.  But Jerry won’t authorize the spending.

Julks?  Hope you can find someone better.

Just let Lee keep getting at-bats at catcher until someone takes the spot away.

Seems like the left side of the staring infield next season is Montgomery (3b) and Baldwin (SS). I’m down with that. Sosa is fine at 2b. Vargas can play the utility role full time (IF/OF).

While I don’t expect the Sox to spend a ton of money this winter, I’ve been saying for awhile that I think they make Anthony Santander their #1 offseason target. Just seems like the typical Sox target so I wouldn’t pencil in guys like Fletcher and Colas into the OF just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T R U said:

That team is going to be lucky to win 50 games when you consider the rotation will be total garbage and Robert gets dealt.

It’s very clear based on Getz’s press conference yesterday that they don’t have any intention of competing next year.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s very clear based on Getz’s press conference yesterday that they don’t have any intention of competing next year.

Good thing we didn't waste this year...

• Paper Bag 1

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It would take the biggest turnaround of all time to get them into contention. Not from these clowns.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Just spend on a damn analytical department and the international market holy !@#$ its not complicated!!!!!!!!

Yep. There is no reason to spend on free agents this offseason. Invest internally. They desperately need to create something that is somewhat self sustaining on the minor league player development side. Especially with position players.

• Like 1