The Sox aren't spending "right now"

26 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

putting an entire roster of kids through 162 games of failure, for multiple seasons, id imagine that wouldn't be good for their development 

Which is why we dumpster dive for the Benintendi's of the world until the kids are ready 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This was slid into the presser, but probably worth its own thread.

What a slap in the face.... What does he want to do with all his money? His family is set for generations

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hahn actually did have a fair amount of experience coming up through the organization and serving as a long time assistant GM, who even turned down interviews for other GM jobs.

Hahn had experience on the business side. He didn’t know dick about talent evaluation or other baseball aspects.

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sure you can. Why are we OK with them being bad for the next 3-4 years? Fans spend money on the team, the owner doesn't share that same interest. While the end result may still be the same...there is a big difference between going .500 and playing .239 baseball. 

Jerry got the Sox into this mess. We should absolutely expect more. 

I took it as - we aren't going to spend big next year; I don't think that is the wrong decision. I don't think that is the year to start spending like crazy.  Now I do think they should be making targeted signings to try and be able to flip people at the deadline and build up assets. I also think they should be looking at ways to help teams who are trying to save luxury tax dollars and acquire assets, etc. Now I will caveat - none of the above is anything the Sox have done well - but I think those are things they should do to try and accelerate the window.

Now if it was - going and signing some guy to a 5yr 150M deal...I'd probably say why bother to be honest (cause they are just that bad).  

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Which is why we dumpster dive for the Benintendi's of the world until the kids are ready 

Except Benintendi wasn’t a dumpster dive he was actually the largest contract ever signed

10 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

AJ said on foul territory today that Getz was 100% on board to hire Grifol, from conversations he's had with ppl inside the Sox FO

Yep, it was well known I thought when KW and Hahn got fired 

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Except Benintendi wasn’t a dumpster dive he was actually the largest contract ever signed

Thank you. I forgot how much he's receiving. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I can't see bringing in anyone high dollar until 2026 or 2027. 

I doubt much will change where the high dollar guys would want to come in three years.  We have the recent example (Wheeler?) of a guy turning down more Sox money to go elsewhere.  It's got to be much worse now.

Just now, FloydBannister1983 said:

I doubt much will change where the high dollar guys would want to come in three years.  We have the recent example (Wheeler?) of a guy turning down more Sox money to go elsewhere.  It's got to be much worse now.

The assumption is the farm system will produce some players. We keep trading current MLB for prospects, we may get lucky. 

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Why then? Has he done it before? No!

We currently have the 7th highest paid LF. 

And for why then? It's about the earliest I can see the team being competitive. 

JR doesn’t spend on the players that help you win, He’d rather think Nicky Lopez helps you get to the playoffs just as much as Ohtani. That isn’t changing, and this time he’s kind of fucked because people were behind his previous rebuild and he had players fans bought into. Now they won’t buy into those players until they win, and they won’t win until JR spends.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

AJ said on foul territory today that Getz was 100% on board to hire Grifol, from conversations he's had with ppl inside the Sox FO

Of course he was. Does anyone think there was someone in the org that actually said "I don't think that's a good idea"? Come on.

• Haha 1

The Sox are not going to win ever by spending money. We all know they won't do it. However they probably can spend as much as they did this season which apparently was top half of baseball. They'll have to figure a way to contend like some other cheapskate teams in our division. Just figure it out. Just do it. 

Pedro getting axed is one big yawn BTW. Yes he's horrific but he's just 1/10 of the problem. Top to bottom the organization is the worst 3 probably in all of sports. Definitely the worst in MLB. But yes Pedro is a clown obviously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

We wouldn't be able to sign any high-caliber FA for the foreseeable future anyways.

What I WOULD like to see them do is to start spending money on an analytics department.

Since we can't sign any $100M players, can we just sign new scouting and development departments to record contracts? The product on field is going to be awful for the foreseeable future, so give me an A's player budget but spend multiples of that on the analytics and development side in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

The assumption is the farm system will produce some players. We keep trading current MLB for prospects, we may get lucky. 

At the time Wheeler turned them down it looked like their farm system produced some players.

I don’t think credible free agents want to play for Chicago’s forgotten team, even in better years.  They certainly don’t want to sign ten year contracts with them.

59 minutes ago, Texsox said:

We currently have the 7th highest paid LF. 

And for why then? It's about the earliest I can see the team being competitive. 

I mean if you want to overpay bums I suppose you can get high paid players.  I don’t think you can get credible players to sign here.

• Like 1