The Sox aren't spending "right now"

4 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I would say avoiding triple digit losses next year would be a moral victory. Not a great place to be, but I guess it could feel somewhat okay depending on who is contributing. 

They won't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T R U said:

That team is going to be lucky to win 50 games when you consider the rotation will be total garbage and Robert gets dealt.

Yes, 2025 is going to be super ugly.  That being said, I think the rotation could still be fun to watch.  Obviously Thorpe getting hurt would change that though.

Let me change my projected lineup for next year.  And yes, I think Robert is still going to be here.  This cold stretch he’s been on has tanked his value and he’s now a hold for another half season unfortunately.  I do think we need to sign one veteran to a short-term contract to help provide him some protection.

1. Vargas, RF
  2. Baldwin, SS*
  3. Robert, CF
  4. Pederson, DH* (FA)
  5. Benintendi, LF*
  6. Ramos, 3B (May 1st)
  7. Quero, CA# (May 1st)
  8. TBD - AAAA Type, 1B
  9. Sosa, 2B

We should have quite a bit of money to spend, but won’t spend it on any big long-term contracts.   We also lack real 1B / DH options in the minors (sorry Tim Elko).  As such, I’d be willing to overpay for Joc a bit on a one or two year deal to help solve the protection problem for Robert and take some pressure off the youngsters.  Open to other ideas like this at 1B / DH as convincing Joc to come here could prove challenging, but it’s really slim pickings in free agency.

Also, if we don’t acquire a 1B via trade in a Crochet deal, then I’d simply go out and acquire some AAAA type hitter and give him an opportunity.  The thought of giving Andrew Vaughn any more time there is terrifying and I’d rather just roll the dice on a post hype type or an older guy raking in AAA but has never gotten a real chance than go with the guy proven to be bad.  And while I’m very much a Elko skeptic, I’d be ok with him being the backup plan for a season.

On 8/8/2024 at 2:12 PM, Tony said:

Sure you can. Why are we OK with them being bad for the next 3-4 years? Fans spend money on the team, the owner doesn't share that same interest. While the end result may still be the same...there is a big difference between going .500 and playing .239 baseball. 

Jerry got the Sox into this mess. We should absolutely expect more. 

I don't think anyone is "okay with it", I think the perspectives we're seeing reflect an understanding and acceptance that Jerry Reinsdorf is a cheap, miserly bastard that cares far more about putting a few more dollars in his pocket than he does about putting a competitive product on the field.

For example, have the White Sox hit the attendance threshold where they have to pay their lease this year, or are they getting free rent on the back of the Illinois taxpayer?

Edited by Dam8610

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let me change my projected lineup for next year.  And yes, I think Robert is still going to be here.  This cold stretch he’s been on has tanked his value and he’s now a hold for another half season unfortunately.  I do think we need to sign one veteran to a short-term contract to help provide him some protection.

1. Vargas, RF
  2. Baldwin, SS*
  3. Robert, CF
  4. Pederson, DH* (FA)
  5. Benintendi, LF*
  6. Ramos, 3B (May 1st)
  7. Quero, CA# (May 1st)
  8. TBD - AAAA Type, 1B
  9. Sosa, 2B

We should have quite a bit of money to spend, but won’t spend it on any big long-term contracts.   We also lack real 1B / DH options in the minors (sorry Tim Elko).  As such, I’d be willing to overpay for Joc a bit on a one or two year deal to help solve the protection problem for Robert and take some pressure off the youngsters.  Open to other ideas like this at 1B / DH as convincing Joc to come here could prove challenging, but it’s really slim pickings in free agency.

Also, if we don’t acquire a 1B via trade in a Crochet deal, then I’d simply go out and acquire some AAAA type hitter and give him an opportunity.  The thought of giving Andrew Vaughn any more time there is terrifying and I’d rather just roll the dice on a post hype type or an older guy raking in AAA but has never gotten a real chance than go with the guy proven to be bad.  And while I’m very much a Elko skeptic, I’d be ok with him being the backup plan for a season.

I’m good with a Joc signing too. Platoon him only against RHP. 

Josh Bell is a guy I’d maybe sign for 1B.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m good with a Joc signing too. Platoon him only against RHP. 

Josh Bell is a guy I’d maybe sign for 1B.

Bell is definitely an option, but has been very ordinary the past couple of years.  But ordinary is probably an upgrade from Vaughn & Sheets.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bell is definitely an option, but has been very ordinary the past couple of years.  But ordinary is probably an upgrade from Vaughn & Sheets.

Call me crazy, but I’d rather just roll with AV than Josh Bell. No reason you couldn’t hand both, tho.

47 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I don't think anyone is "okay with it", I think the perspectives we're seeing reflect an understanding and acceptance that Jerry Reinsdorf is a cheap, miserly bastard that cares far more about putting a few more dollars in his pocket than he does about putting a competitive product on the field.

For example, have the White Sox hit the attendance threshold where they have to pay their lease this year, or are they getting free rent on the back of the Illinois taxpayer?

1.93 million is the cut off apparently. 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Call me crazy, but I’d rather just roll with AV than Josh Bell. No reason you couldn’t hand both, tho.

I just don’t know what we’re expecting from Vaughn.  He’s got a 98 wRC+ over his last ~1,000 plate appearances and just seems like a very flawed hitter who will never be part of good core.  With only two years of control left, I just don’t feel like he’s worth holding in hopes of finally figuring it out.  But if you have a LH 1B & DH, maybe he’s worth using as a platoon option if the salary is cheap enough.

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah move on from Sheets and go with 1B/DH of AV and Bell.

Contradicts my Joc signing I guess but they’ll get whoever is cheap.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

I certainly don’t anticipate Jerry doing anything that pleases the fan base over the next few years, but doesn’t mean as a fan base we shouldn’t hold them to a higher standard, and when the inevitably don’t meet that standard, we should say as much. 

• Like 2

A serious issue to me is that even halfway decent free agents won’t want to sign here. Unless you have a Boras type of guy who is simply taking the highest contract, I feel like most guys would take a little less to go almost anywhere else. The free agents we sign will be guys at the end of the road looking for one last major league contract. Signing with the Sox is basically a career ender either way.

Spending money means nothing if nobody is willing to do business with you.

Edited by Milkman delivers

The problem is that you can only acquire 1 (maybe 2) impact players per year through free agency or trade.   This group of youngsters we have is going to need at least 7 or 8 impact players added to it in order to compete for division titles (and maybe more).   If we wait til the youngsters are ready, our window will expire before we can obtain the necessary veteran impact players.   We need to start acquiring them now so we can be competitive in 4 or 5 years.

2 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

The problem is that you can only acquire 1 (maybe 2) impact players per year through free agency or trade.   This group of youngsters we have is going to need at least 7 or 8 impact players added to it in order to compete for division titles (and maybe more).   If we wait til the youngsters are ready, our window will expire before we can obtain the necessary veteran impact players.   We need to start acquiring them now so we can be competitive in 4 or 5 years.

You are assuming three things:

1.Quality free agents want to come here.

2.JR will actually pay top dollar for top free agents

3.Even if he is willing would he be giving four-five-six year deals for your timeline.

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You are assuming three things:

1.Quality free agents want to come here.

2.JR will actually pay top dollar for top free agents

3.Even if he is willing would he be giving four-five-six year deals for your timeline.

The answer to all three is “no”.

• Thanks 1

Draft well, develop talent, make wise trades requires BAU money. 

I always enjoy Todd Welter's and his guest's on Locked on White Sox, 

Interesting comments by Sean Anderson around the 30:50 mark about possible new owner already in place. 

Edited by Falstaff

7 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Draft well, develop talent, make wise trades requires BAU money. 

I always enjoy Todd Welter's and his guest's on Locked on White Sox, 

Interesting comments by Sean Anderson around the 30:50 mark about possible new owner already in place. 

This has been my theory for a while now.  It wouldn't be like Jerry to leave that kind of a detail to chance with all of the people he's tried to block from MLB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This has been my theory for a while now.  It wouldn't be like Jerry to leave that kind of a detail to chance with all of the people he's tried to block from MLB.

I would love to see the name get leaked out and give Sox fans hope.

JR can keep his money, but, as a fan, I am not buying into this "rebuild." Why he is willing to associate his name with a laughingstock is beyond me. I am not waiting for this team to be a contender because I don't see it happening. So, why even waste emotion with this hopeless situation? The only thing I am certain of is that 2025, the 20th anniversary of the World Series championship, will be another 100-loss season. Looking forward to SoxFest.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Here's my original thoughts.

This team has never spent money where it counts. Why would "right now" be any different? You could take one or two of the worthless FA signings this team makes every off-season, dedicate that money to analytics and player development instead, and be a perennial playoff team in this division. Unfortunately the team is owned by a greedy, senile imbecile, who has no idea how to run a successful and competitive sports organization. 

I have news for JR. Fans aren't spending money "right now" either. f*** you. 

• Like 1