The Sox aren't spending "right now"

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hodson assuming ownership of this franchise and immediately cleaning is the dream of all dreams.

I have heard her name mentioned, she's got money, is a Sox fan, and loves Chicago

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 2:09 PM, fathom said:

Easily losing 115 games next year

We have no idea what the roster will look like next year. 
This could be an excruciating off season with the roster winding up being worse than the horrible cast of characters we have had this year. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

This could be an excruciating off season with the roster winding up being worse than the horrible cast of characters we have had this year. 

Steve Stone said on TV  the other night that alot of the present players won't be on the team  next year. Maybe he knows something that we don't.

17 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Steve Stone said on TV  the other night that alot of the present players won't be on the team  next year. Maybe he knows something that we don't.

That should be obvious TBH.  Most of the roster doesn't deserve to be in baseball,  plus the short term to free agency guys should be moved.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 12:42 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

In other words JR, "fiscal responsibility" mantra continues to be rule #1. 

...although it would be a stretch to look at this roster and see much of anything that was responsibly spent. 

I began typing up a post that basically compared the last two general managers JR hired to a monkey that smears it's own s%*# on the wall and makes consequential decisions based on the patterns it leaves, but that was mean and I don't have that kind of energy to spend on this garbage team. 

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I don’t think Stone needs to be a Rhodes Scholar to figure that out.

37 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It also didn’t stop Stone and Schriffen from talking up these bums all season.  But now there’s hope because they will be gone?

I know it bothers people, but literally no home broadcast in a professional setting would crap on their own players in 2024.  Baltimore guy got suspended for much less.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know it bothers people, but literally no home broadcast in a professional setting would crap on their own players in 2024.  Baltimore guy got suspended for much less.

It's an unscripted reality TV show. Packaged to sell to an audience. And this team has jumped the shark. 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

From my interview with Jason Benetti on this subject. You actually can do it, I have myself... but you have to be very careful how you go about doing so and you better be prepared for blowback... again I know that from personal experience:

ML: Another balancing act and I personally know how difficult this can be, is understanding the needs of the team during a broadcast, the folks who are signing your paycheck and the responsibility a broadcaster has to the audience as far as giving an honest account of what is going on, on the field or with the team. Again how do you strike the balance or walk that fine line between the two?

JB: “I learned economics in school and I look at things as a zero / sum game a lot of times. With baseball I can’t spend more time criticizing players and belaboring points then I do giving credit or looking at thing positively. I’d much rather give credit but if a guy blows one I’ll be the first to say, “that’s an E-6…he should have had that one.” Then we’ll show the video of the player looking at his glove or expressing a reaction. We’ll have the video of it; I don’t need to say anything more. I’ll also go to players, talk with them and ask questions, “why are you in a slump?” Then I’ll take that information he gave me, say it during the broadcast and the viewers can make up their own minds.”

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

It will be more of the same.  Getz will be dumpster diving again, and likely failing at it just like last offseason.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

From my interview with Jason Benetti on this subject. You actually can do it, I have myself... but you have to be very careful how you go about doing so and you better be prepared for blowback... again I know that from personal experience:

ML: Another balancing act and I personally know how difficult this can be, is understanding the needs of the team during a broadcast, the folks who are signing your paycheck and the responsibility a broadcaster has to the audience as far as giving an honest account of what is going on, on the field or with the team. Again how do you strike the balance or walk that fine line between the two?

JB: “I learned economics in school and I look at things as a zero / sum game a lot of times. With baseball I can’t spend more time criticizing players and belaboring points then I do giving credit or looking at thing positively. I’d much rather give credit but if a guy blows one I’ll be the first to say, “that’s an E-6…he should have had that one.” Then we’ll show the video of the player looking at his glove or expressing a reaction. We’ll have the video of it; I don’t need to say anything more. I’ll also go to players, talk with them and ask questions, “why are you in a slump?” Then I’ll take that information he gave me, say it during the broadcast and the viewers can make up their own minds.”

There is a chasm between describing a bad play, and describing a bad player.  You might hear Steve talk about Michael Kopech wanting to stick with his fastball,  but you will never hear him called uncoachable for refusing to listen to coaches who try to get him to work more off speed.   

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know it wasn’t during a broadcast, but Stone basically said the team sucked in his tweet albeit in the nicest way possible.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Older White Sox fans remember how Harry Caray changed his act when he went to the Cubs. The Cubs ownership would have never tolerated the real Harry  Caray. Caray became a houseman for the Cubs.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Older White Sox fans remember how Harry Caray changed his act when he went to the Cubs. The Cubs ownership would have never tolerated the real Harry  Caray. Caray became a houseman for the Cubs.

This is true and he was told this if he wanted the job.  

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

And that was 40+ years ago.  It has gotten worse.

On 8/8/2024 at 12:49 PM, Chisoxfn said:

I can't disagree with it.  

To a point, it's not wise to be a big spender in free agency when you're rebuilding.

You also can't let things to get a point where you are the worst team in MLB history. 

You can rebuild and spend some money without making moves that handicap the future.

You also don't have a budget so the idea of a rebuild that goes this badly and will likely take as long as it will to get back to some form of respectability (not even competing for anything) is flat out laughable.

On 8/8/2024 at 2:12 PM, Tony said:

Sure you can. Why are we OK with them being bad for the next 3-4 years? Fans spend money on the team, the owner doesn't share that same interest. While the end result may still be the same...there is a big difference between going .500 and playing .239 baseball. 

Jerry got the Sox into this mess. We should absolutely expect more. 

Agreed. We have become conditioned to accept that the White Sox must go through some elongated rebuilding process without any guarantee of return except 100+ loss seasons for this year and next year.

Will this team spend on any sought after free agents?

Will they keep their current young pitching talent?

If the answer is no, what is the point of any of this? The organization isn't serious and won't sustain winning outside of short stretches should everything work out with their own self-induced limitations.

35 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Agreed. We have become conditioned to accept that the White Sox must go through some elongated rebuilding process without any guarantee of return except 100+ loss seasons for this year and next year.

If the answer is no, what is the point of any of this? The organization isn't serious and won't sustain winning outside of short stretches should everything work out with their own self-induced limitations.

It is not necessary to condition us. This is a terrible team. There is absolutely no talent pool either at the ML or minors.

Even if JR wanted to spend 200M lets say this team would still suck.  If JR is going to spend take gambles on guys who could bounce back, explore IFA, take back salary for prospects. 

Rebuild the base of this club once you have a foundation then you can start worrying about bringing in the superstar players. I mean it will never happen but really the whole notion that we are going to spend our way out of this is bonkers. We have no talent. We have one pitcher. Literally no one who can hit. A CF who spends more time in rehab then he does on the field. That isn't a team. The Angerls had a better roster Ohtani and still couldn't win anything and the dude was a two way player. They also had Trout. 

Baseball is about being able to fill out your entire roster. If you got one guy with a 900 OPS and another guy with a 580 OPS. You might as well just bring in two 750 OPS players save yourself 30M AAV and get the same production.  

51 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Been saying this point for a long time. There isn't any point. History has shown us time and time again Jerry isn't willing to compete or engage on the same playing field as others in his sport. Not only will he not spend on high priced free agents, but he won't invest in qualified front office staff, analytics, scouting, international, etc. 

No one is asking him to spend like the Dodgers. Most teams don't. But you don't have to do that to be competitive in most seasons. Look at the Brewers, the Guardians, Rays...They understand their payroll limitations and have put resources into player development and have established organizational philosophies that have made them some of the better franchises in the sport. White Sox ownership has no interest in that. 

So until that changes, nothing will.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

It is not necessary to condition us. This is a terrible team. There is absolutely no talent pool either at the ML or minors.

Even if JR wanted to spend 200M lets say this team would still suck.  If JR is going to spend take gambles on guys who could bounce back, explore IFA, take back salary for prospects. 

Rebuild the base of this club once you have a foundation then you can start worrying about bringing in the superstar players. I mean it will never happen but really the whole notion that we are going to spend our way out of this is bonkers. We have no talent. We have one pitcher. Literally no one who can hit. A CF who spends more time in rehab then he does on the field. That isn't a team. The Angerls had a better roster Ohtani and still couldn't win anything and the dude was a two way player. They also had Trout. 

Baseball is about being able to fill out your entire roster. If you got one guy with a 900 OPS and another guy with a 580 OPS. You might as well just bring in two 750 OPS players save yourself 30M AAV and get the same production.  

The Sox could spend a billion dollars this offseason in total contracts, bring in Juan Soto, Pete Alonzo, and Corbin Burns, and still not be a .500 team.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

Been saying this point for a long time. There isn't any point. History has shown us time and time again Jerry isn't willing to compete or engage on the same playing field as others in his sport. Not only will he not spend on high priced free agents, but he won't invest in qualified front office staff, analytics, scouting, international, etc. 

No one is asking him to spend like the Dodgers. Most teams don't. But you don't have to do that to be competitive in most seasons. Look at the Brewers, the Guardians, Rays...They understand their payroll limitations and have put resources into player development and have established organizational philosophies that have made them some of the better franchises in the sport. White Sox ownership has no interest in that. 

So until that changes, nothing will.  

It's so penny wise and a pound foolish. How much did we waste on free agents since then? I've counted close to 100M in buyouts. You could buy the top analyitics and scouting staff in baseball just off the amount of money the White Sox have paid players not to play the last five years.

You can't tell me that with a better staff we still sign Maldonado I mean anyone with two working brain cells saw this was going to be the result.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox could spend a billion dollars this offseason in total contracts, bring in Juan Soto, Pete Alonzo, and Corbin Burns, and still not be a .500 team.

Is this like the KW wrong name on the fax trick?

We probably would try to convince fans AlonSo and BurnEs had replacements in the multiverse.

In all seriousness, I tried to convince myself Benintendi was playable for next season.

But he has AVERAGED a -11 defensively in fWAR over almost three full seasons.

So he’s an ideally a DH but with well below average offensive numbers for these two seasons with the Sox.

Which means they’re going to eventually deal Robert and surely get three starting outfielders back.

Surely from the Cards, who wanted him so much originally.

We just need Adolis Garcia Arozarena and Jordan Walker in equivalency.

Edited by caulfield12