Signings worse than Benintendi in the last 5 years

We talk about how bad the Beni signing was. 15 million per year for 5 years. But I happened to see a guy I forgot got a huge deal that make ours look pretty decent.

Anthony Rendon might go down as one of the worst signings ever.  7 years 245 million. He has 22 HRs in 5 years so far, only 850ABs. Beni has 17 hrs and almost 900 ABs. He has produced a 1.6 WAR. Rendon is making 38 million per year this year and the next 2.

Then there is Kris Bryant, 17 HRs in 3 years and they have him for 27 million per year for 4 more years after this one.

So I was wondering how many other contracts are out there way worse than AB's.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Didn't we want him in the Sale trade but Boston wouldn't part with him so we settled for Moncada?  Same difference, IMO.

Rafael Devers.  This article explains how the trade went down…

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/mlb/boston-red-sox/how-close-did-the-red-sox-come-to-trading-rafael-devers-for-chris-sale-let-dave-dombrowski-explain/399563/?amp=1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The article does cover the Moncada/Benintendi question so it’s not all Devers 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

The article does cover the Moncada/Benintendi question so it’s not all Devers 

Ironically, most of the players the Sox were interested in (Benintendi) and ultimately traded for (Moncada, Kopech, Luis Alexander Basabe, and Victor Diaz) were either blah or busts.  They would have ended up being better off trading Sale for Devers in a one-for-one straight up trade.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Montero Bogaerts Abreu Baez Benintendi Rendon Bryant Corbin Zimmerman Strasburg

a lot are going to say Tatis Jr., but already worth 2.5 fWAR for this season and will likely play at least 30-35 more games

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10104748-ranking-mlbs-worst-free-agent-signings-of-the-last-10-years

I totally forgot about Chris The Roider Davis.

”The Orioles signed Davis to a seven-year, $161 million contract in January 2016. In 2018, he set the MLB record for the lowest batting average ever for a qualified player, batting . 168. In 2019, Davis set the MLB record for the most consecutive at bats by a position player without a hit, going 0-for-54.”

Adam Dunn in 2011 has to be right up there for worst Sox FA deals…stabilized a bit in 2012, eventually dumped, but that one season was NY Times historically bad.  Of course we now know about the health complications with his kid and also trying to play through I think it was an appendectomy as well.

On the grandp scheme of things, Beni’s contract isn’t that bad. $16M is chump change in today’s game. If he can be the hitter hes been the last 2 months, put a little more effort in on D and play less against LHP, he can be a 1.5-2 war guy and be “worth” his pay the next couple seasons. Lots of ifs. But it’s not some albatross deal. 

• Like 1

He's the worst signing in this franchises history, can't really compare him to other big time signings because the Sox don't swim in those waters so its not really apples to apples.

His Sox career slash line is .243 / .303 / .657 with a whopping -1.7 bWAR

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, T R U said:

He's the worst signing in this franchises history, can't really compare him to other big time signings because the Sox don't swim in those waters so its not really apples to apples.

Jaime Navarro. He had the straightest fastball I've ever seen. His 5 million a year in the 90's was more than 16 million now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zisk said:

Jaime Navarro. He had the straightest fastball I've ever seen. His 5 million a year in the 90's was more than 16 million now.

We ended up getting Jose Valenin for this guy, who put up 16.9 bWAR over 5 seasons. I would say we came out pretty good for that 5 million.

40 minutes ago, T R U said:

Jeff Keppinger says “don’t forget about me good sir”

im really looking at Keps numbers and lmao, he got to -1.7 WAR and didn’t even finish the season, I think they ate a 3 year deal too didn’t they 

• Like 2

Hanser Alberto crashing into Tim Anderson…

Just can’t remember the last time a perennial All-Star (best combined AL batting average over four combined seasons overall) and marketable franchise player just completely fell apart in his late 20s or early 30s without a MAJOR injury involved.

Even a year ago, other teams were willing to trade for him…at least to Rick Hahn.

From DQ MLB the Show to Field of Dreams and now HERE…???  More shocking than all the other top prospect failures because of his established baseline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

On the grandp scheme of things, Beni’s contract isn’t that bad. $16M is chump change in today’s game. If he can be the hitter hes been the last 2 months, put a little more effort in on D and play less against LHP, he can be a 1.5-2 war guy and be “worth” his pay the next couple seasons. Lots of ifs. But it’s not some albatross deal. 

The bigger concern is that to the White Sox, it IS a lot of money.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The bigger concern is that to the White Sox, it IS a lot of money.

Its really not, though.  Their payroll for next season will be around $50M as things stand right now (obviously will be higher with stop gap adds).  It was 4x that 2 seasons ago.  The Sox can afford Beni's mid tier contract just fine.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Its really not, though.  Their payroll for next season will be around $50M as things stand right now (obviously will be higher with stop gap adds).  It was 4x that 2 seasons ago.  The Sox can afford Beni's mid tier contract just fine.  

Meanwhile, the Sox were rumored to try to be attaching Benintendi’s contract in a Crochet trade and are still crying poor.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Meanwhile, the Sox were rumored to try to be attaching Benintendi’s contract in a Crochet trade and are still crying poor.

Yeah, I don't buy that.  I guess we'll see what happens. 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Montero Bogaerts Abreu Baez Benintendi Rendon Bryant Corbin Zimmerman Strasburg

a lot are going to say Tatis Jr., but already worth 2.5 fWAR for this season and will likely play at least 30-35 more games

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10104748-ranking-mlbs-worst-free-agent-signings-of-the-last-10-years

Good catch on Strasburg.

The first 3 posts in the thread mention Rendon, Bryant, Baez, and Trout. Here is what is owed, excluding bonuses:

Rendon: 2 years, $77.1 million.  He is mostly likely physically done.

Bryant: 4 years, $108 million. Good guy but just breaking down, he also might be physically done. I read now he has arthritis setting in, not good.

Baez: 3 years, $73 million. Javy is the most physically able on this short list, he still a plus defender, solid ballplayer, but his bat has gone away.

Trout: 6year, $222 million. In the last 5 years he has missed a ton of games. He is still a stud if he can stay on the diamond and not the trainer's room.