Signings worse than Benintendi in the last 5 years

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s the largest contract the Sox have ever given out but somehow it’s not a lot of money to the Sox?  That doesn’t really make much sense.

The AAV isn't a lot of money in the context of baseball.  He isn't even a top 75 paid player in the league.  

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Ironically, most of the players the Sox were interested in (Benintendi) and ultimately traded for (Moncada, Kopech, Luis Alexander Basabe, and Victor Diaz) were either blah or busts.  They would have ended up being better off trading Sale for Devers in a one-for-one straight up trade.

They also wanted Devers as the 3rd piece.

9 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Good catch on Strasburg.

The first 3 posts in the thread mention Rendon, Bryant, Baez, and Trout. Here is what is owed, excluding bonuses:

Rendon: 2 years, $77.1 million.  He is mostly likely physically done.

Bryant: 4 years, $108 million. Good guy but just breaking down, he also might be physically done. I read now he has arthritis setting in, not good.

Baez: 3 years, $73 million. Javy is the most physically able on this short list, he still a plus defender, solid ballplayer, but his bat has gone away.

Trout: 6year, $222 million. In the last 5 years he has missed a ton of games. He is still a stud if he can stay on the diamond and not the trainer's room.

Carlos Correa has to be a big concern on the backside.  Buxton already had that risk baked into his extension.  CC did take about a 25% haircut already with all the concerns coming from the two teams originally interested in signing him to massive deals.

You also have to wonder how all the Dodgers current struggles with Betts, Matsumoto, Glasnow…will cause a rethink there.

Then again, the lack of premium talent other than Soto and perhaps Sasaki (that won’t be a fiscal as much as PR battle) are causing 15-18 teams to chase after a diminishing talent pool with so many guys locked up earlier and earlier before.

8 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Maybe he has a strong next few months and remembers how to play baseball next year

Capture.JPG

He's had an OPS just under .800 since June 1.  The defense has been terrible and the arm is awful, though I do think some of the former is just an effort problem.  If Beni can OPS .750ish, he's a non terrible bottom of the order player.  Obviously not what the Sox were looking for when the gave him 5/$75M.  He was hurt for most of last season; not sure what the issue was in April/May this year other than just a brutal slump. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Trout is still a star whenever he's on the field. This isn't a similar thing imo.

Injuries suck, but no one is cursing trout being in the lineup when healthy. 

I fully expect the repeated injuries to also start to take their toll like we see on so many oft injured players.

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The AAV isn't a lot of money in the context of baseball.  He isn't even a top 75 paid player in the league.  

“In the context of baseball” doesn’t mean much considering the Sox have never kept pace with the spending trends in the MLB.

5/$75 is still the most the Sox have paid any single player and they aren’t planning on spending much money, per Getz.  So a player salary of $16.5 million per season is a lot to the Sox.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

32 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He's had an OPS just under .800 since June 1.  The defense has been terrible and the arm is awful, though I do think some of the former is just an effort problem.  If Beni can OPS .750ish, he's a non terrible bottom of the order player.  Obviously not what the Sox were looking for when the gave him 5/$75M.  He was hurt for most of last season; not sure what the issue was in April/May this year other than just a brutal slump. 

That OPS number is misleading. He had a .790 OPS in June, a .658 OPS in July, and so far in a SSS in August its 1.166. I still think the best we can expect out of him is low .700's which I guess we would all take at this point.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

On the grandp scheme of things, Beni’s contract isn’t that bad. $16M is chump change in today’s game. If he can be the hitter hes been the last 2 months, put a little more effort in on D and play less against LHP, he can be a 1.5-2 war guy and be “worth” his pay the next couple seasons. Lots of ifs. But it’s not some albatross deal. 

An albatross deal is different for each team.  It’s dependent on budget and willingness of ownership to spend resources.  For the Sox, A’s, $15 million is a significant chunk of payroll.  The Dodgers, Yankees, Phillies, Mets - they could eat several of these.  Most teams could survive this. For the Sox, current ownership will use this deal to justify not spending for a few years.  The impact to the Sox is much worse because most other teams would not let one bad deal like this handcuff them (or use it to justify not spending money).

Benintendi has been awful. He would have been DFA’d if not for this deal. But he is not the only problem we have.  He’s also putting up bad numbers being healthy.  There are other signings we made that don’t make sense in overpaying bad talent and blocking younger guys who could get experience. Why waste $15-20 million in deals for bad FA signings? Sure you could flip them for a prospect, but what about our brass has shown they can make good trades?

Edited by tjp1684
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tjp1684 said:

An albatross deal is different for each team.  It’s dependent on budget and willingness of ownership to spend resources.  For the Sox, A’s, $15 million is a significant chunk of payroll.  The Dodgers, Yankees, Phillies, Mets - they could eat several of these.  Most teams could survive this. For the Sox, current ownership will use this deal to justify not spending for a few years.  The impact to the Sox is much worse because most other teams would not let one bad deal like this handcuff them (or use it to justify not spending money).

Benintendi has been awful. He would have been DFA’d if not for this deal. But he is not the only problem we have.  He’s also putting up bad numbers being healthy.  There are other signings we made that don’t make sense in overpaying bad talent and blocking younger guys who could get experience. Why waste $15-20 million in deals for bad FA signings? Sure you could flip them for a prospect, but what about our brass has shown they can make good trades?

$15M was 7.5% of the Sox payroll as recently as 2 seasons ago.  

28 minutes ago, tjp1684 said:

I am going to keep saying this, but the Sox have $50 million committed to 2025 including Benny and literally only Benny's money in 26 and 27.  It isn't like the Sox have a $200 million payroll where they need this space.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to keep saying this, but the Sox have $50 million committed to 2025 including Benny and literally only Benny's money in 26 and 27.  It isn't like the Sox have a $200 million payroll where they need this space.

This.  Its not really not that complicated.  The Beni deal has obviously gone horribly.  But people acting like the Sox can't afford to pay him $16M the next three seasons are just making excuses for the org.  But I am moving on from this discussion because its mind numbingly stupid. 

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

$15M was 7.5% of the Sox payroll as recently as 2 seasons ago.  

And Benintendi’s salary for 2025 will soon be 16.5% of the Sox payroll, once Getz drops the payroll to the rumored $100 million per Jerry’s instruction.

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This.  Its not really not that complicated.  The Beni deal has obviously gone horribly.  But people acting like the Sox can't afford to pay him $16M the next three seasons are just making excuses for the org.  But I am moving on from this discussion because its mind numbingly stupid. 

I never said the Sox couldn’t afford it.  But it is a bigger amount to them and they won’t be adding much to it other than more of the same — dumpster diving signings.  Posters who thought the Sox would be spending money with Eloy and Moncada off the books will be proven wrong next offseason.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozzie for Manager said:

We talk about how bad the Beni signing was. 15 million per year for 5 years. But I happened to see a guy I forgot got a huge deal that make ours look pretty decent.

Anthony Rendon might go down as one of the worst signings ever.  7 years 245 million. He has 22 HRs in 5 years so far, only 850ABs. Beni has 17 hrs and almost 900 ABs. He has produced a 1.6 WAR. Rendon is making 38 million per year this year and the next 2.

Then there is Kris Bryant, 17 HRs in 3 years and they have him for 27 million per year for 4 more years after this one.

So I was wondering how many other contracts are out there way worse than AB's.

Those are incredibly bad, lol.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Adam Dunn in 2011 has to be right up there for worst Sox FA deals…stabilized a bit in 2012, eventually dumped, but that one season was NY Times historically bad.  Of course we now know about the health complications with his kid and also trying to play through I think it was an appendectomy as well.

At least Dunn was an all star with the Sox for one season.  That thought has never entered anyone’s mind regarding Benitendi.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Jeff Keppinger says “don’t forget about me good sir”

im really looking at Keps numbers and lmao, he got to -1.7 WAR and didn’t even finish the season, I think they ate a 3 year deal too didn’t they 

Remember Jaime Navarro was so much better than washed up Roger Clemens.

2 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Remember Jaime Navarro was so much better than washed up Roger Clemens.

I think Clemens dismantled the Sox every time he faced them in a Toronto uniform and it’s all because of that quote 

• Like 1