Compiled list of Chris Getz GM failures

ron883

Getz essentially burned $24 million in a fire pit this past offseason.  That’s pretty much Bryce Harper’s annual salary.

Brebbia - $5.5 million

Maldonado - $4.5 million

Lopez - $ 4.3 million

Soroka - $3 million

Clevinger - $3 million

Hill - $1.8 million

Flexen - $1.75 million

There is also the awful trade for Dominic Fletcher that cost Christian Mena, and the fact that Getz/Barfield chose Fletcher as the return over .800 OPS Jake McCarthy.  The trade for Bailey Horn, whom was later dumped for cash.  DFA’ing Romy González and Declan Cronin.  DFA’ing Kevin Pillar too early.  I’m sure there’s more, but those are the ones I remember.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz essentially burned $24 million in a fire pit this past offseason.  That’s pretty much Bryce Harper’s annual salary.

Brebbia - $5.5 million

Maldonado - $4.5 million

Lopez - $ 4.3 million

Soroka - $3 million

Clevinger - $3 million

Hill - $1.8 million

Flexen - $1.75 million

There is also the awful trade for Dominic Fletcher that cost Christian Mena.  The trade for Bailey Horn, whom was later dumped for cash.  DFA’ing Romy González and Declan Cronin.  DFA’ing Kevin Pillar too early.  I’m sure there’s more, but those are the ones I remember.

Jake Cousins and Chavez

On 8/9/2024 at 3:00 AM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Brebbia - $5.5 million

Maldonado - $4.5 million

Lopez - $ 4.3 million

Soroka - $3 million

Clevinger - $3 million

Hill - $1.8 million

Flexen - $1.75 million

There is also the awful trade for Dominic Fletcher that cost Christian Mena, and the fact that Getz/Barfield chose Fletcher as the return over .800 OPS Jake McCarthy.  The trade for Bailey Horn, whom was later dumped for cash.  DFA’ing Romy González and Declan Cronin.  DFA’ing Kevin Pillar too early.  I’m sure there’s more, but those are the ones I remember.

You forgot giving Pham to STL and Kopech to LAD for essentially free.

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

Going forward I don't have confidence in Getz to turn this historic dumpster fire around.

I will give him credit for signing Fedde, finding players at garage sale level is where this franchise is at.

"You can't spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents."  ?  Actually...building the scouting department, coaching staff, and finding B grade free agents is probably the right way to go for a franchise opposed to going "all in" on the star caliber guys.  We definitely need to avoid the over the over the hill gang.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 10:33 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Chris Getz recommended Ron883 as a poster on Soxtalk.  True story, I was there.

Reported.   Ron883 also tried to make the Cubs a thing the last couple of years as he lost Abreu to complain about.

Also for trying to provoke Greg775 into political commentary.

Completely botching Robert and Crochet.

Doing the worst possible job in MLB history of building a bullpen from scratch.

(He does have the amazing Tanner Banks trade lol.)

Not stopping the Burger for Eder trade somehow.

Being completely on board with all the Royals they imported, particularly Grifol Watson and their contracts guy.  Contracts guy and Getz couldn’t have gotten a more sub optimal result with Crochet if they had 100 different scenarios to attempt to get it right.

DeLoach Berroa hasn’t exactly set the known world on fire.

Return on Cease was just as light as Fedde.  And Thorpe of all pitchers with his 91-92 mph FB still sidelined.

Not taking Cags #5 when you have zero stud franchise hitters in the entire system.

Every single AL Central farm system other than KC running rings around you…when development in supposedly your ONE area of expertise.

Poor eye contact with Stone in game interview.

Colas and Ramos botched completely.

Moncada and Jimenez coddled.

Luis Robert goes from Mike Trout Lite to virtually untradable under his watch.

In baseball, Bill Veeck famously said "I don't mind the high price of stardom. I just don't like the high price of mediocrity."

If ever there were a term to summarize the flaws in Hahn's and Getz's roster construction, it's that quote.

Edited by caulfield12

On 8/12/2024 at 8:37 AM, poppysox said:

"You can't spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents."  ?  Actually...building the scouting department, coaching staff, and finding B grade free agents is probably the right way to go for a franchise opposed to going "all in" on the star caliber guys.  We definitely need to avoid the over the over the hill gang.

Going for star caliber guys was never an option with JR (see Harper and Machado) so I don’t think it can be ruled out as not being the correct strategy.  We have simply never seen it done.

Signing the over-the-hill gang has been the Sox strategy for years, and next offseason will be no different.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Going for star caliber guys was never an option with JR (see Harper and Machado) so I don’t think it can be ruled out as not being the correct strategy.  We have simply never seen it done.

Signing the over-the-hill gang has been the Sox strategy for years, and next offseason will be no different.

SD you can see attendant risks.  Still something like 8 with $100+ million contracts.

Exceedingly challenging to fill out roster spots #15-25 if you keep gutting your farm system to support big league roster (hey KW).  Leads to more inconsistencies and experimentation with roster mix.

Musgrove Darvish Bogaerts Tatis have dragged down roster last two months with injury family issues etc.  Bogaerts has underproduced 1 1/2 seasons almost.

“Fresh off completing a four-game sweep of the Houston Astros to start the season, the Yankees have acquired right-handed pitcher Jake Cousins in a trade with the Chicago White Sox. New York will be sending cash for the 29-year-old reliever.”

Success because JR got cold hard cash in his pockets???

For +0.1 fWAR of production?  That’s worth at least $1 million on the open market, basically…

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What am I missing here with Tatis?

McCarthy is actually outproducing him…which was/is a huge jump in production from McCarthy’s paltry 2023 production.

And very cheaply at that.  Fletcher is the diametrically opposed result from end of 2023 babip wonder/miracle.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

McCarthy is actually outproducing him…which was/is a huge jump in production from McCarthy’s paltry 2023 production.

And very cheaply at that.  Fletcher is the diametrically opposed result from end of 2023 babip wonder/miracle.

NBC Sports is now clowning the Getz and the Sox on this trade…

“Jake McCarthy went 3-for-5 and knocked in two runs, including the game-winner in the bottom of the ninth, to propel the Diamondbacks to a 4-3 win over the Rockies on Tuesday.

This is getting a little ridiculous now. McCarthy, who spent most of last year looking like one of the league’s easiest outs, is hitting .311/.380/.438 in 325 plate appearances. The White Sox reportedly could have acquired McCarthy in the Cristian Mena deal last winter and chose Dominic Fletcher instead. Fletcher, in case you were wondering, is currently hitting .216/.283/.268 in the majors.”

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

Trading Paul DeJong to the Royals, seemingly a Central rival…because we love KC apparently, but HATE HATE HATE the Twins and Guardians with the fury of 100,000 burning suns.

But wait, half the Sox front office and Grifol and Getz originated there, we have an obligation to help them out.  Am I right?

And to help the LA Dodgers , because JR loved Pee Wee Reese and the Brookyln Dodgers in the 40s and 50s.