Stone not sure he will be back in 25, season "wearing on him"

16 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I highly doubt Stoney needs this gig for the paycheck. Last I heard he owns 30? restaurants. He's a smart enough guy that I'm sure he's set for life financially. 

If he is no longer enjoying it I can 100% see him leaving. 

You don't have to like the guy, but Stone is no dummy. He's a very sharp baseball mind, and I can't imagine its enjoyable to sit here and watch this terrible team play 162 games just completely screwing up the simplest and basic fundamental things.

Much like the other night when Bellinger scored when he should have been thrown out by a mile, that just can't happen on a major league team. That's little league stuff that 8,9,10 year olds are learning.

9 minutes ago, T R U said:

You don't have to like the guy, but Stone is no dummy. He's a very sharp baseball mind, and I can't imagine its enjoyable to sit here and watch this terrible team play 162 games just completely screwing up the simplest and basic fundamental things.

Much like the other night when Bellinger scored when he should have been thrown out by a mile, that just can't happen on a major league team. That's little league stuff that 8,9,10 year olds are learning.

When you have "baseball-stupid" players plus an organization that apparently doesn't know how to teach fundamentals nor hold people accountable when they continually mess up, this is what you get. 

• Like 3

On 8/10/2024 at 6:31 AM, JoshPR said:

I still believe AJ is in the running for manager, there is more to this than he lets on. He's hinted at it but then shoots it down like he's joking 

AJ would be a disaster cause he'd be like Ozzie in terms of blasting players, etc. Generally when the manager is the story every day it's not a good clubhouse. Sure we'd enjoy AJP assessing blame and calling out these stiffs publicly, but the problem there is most is not the players' fault. They can't help being some of the worst players in the league. And AJP wouldn't be able to call out Jerry and GM and that won't work. Can't blame the players when it's mainly Jerry's fault. ... If you are going to go with "the mouth that roared" as skipper, just bring back Ozzie. He's fine strategy wise except for the Sunday lineups. Of course now and for years to come every lineup is a Sunday lineup in terms of talent for the Sox.

Edited by greg775
  • TLR 1

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The funny thing is how in the interview Stone talks about how difficult things are in the organization but somehow, someway JR isn't responsible for any of it. 😆

Right.

Yep, this embarrassing portion of the article says it all, and the last sentence is the kicker.

Stone treasures the opportunity chairman Jerry Reinsdorf gave him to stay in Chicago after he left the Cubs. He respects and admires Reinsdorf’s loyalty and behind-the-scenes generosity and enjoys his company on occasion.

And he defends him passionately. With the Sox’ product at an all-time rock bottom, embracing the majority owner is no popular gesture.

“This is a guy who asks for nobody to defend him, but when somebody does something for you, you can’t repay it in a day or month,” Stone said. “He may be loyal to a fault, but loyalty is something I never lose track of, which is why I will be loyal to Jerry as long as I’m around. He helped me get back to Chicago.

The fans are so unhappy that they want to take it out on one person, and the easiest way is to take it out on the man who owns the team.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, this embarrassing portion of the article says it all, and the last sentence is the kicker.

When you think about it rationally who else is ultimately to "blame" but the owner? ESPECIALLY an owner who throughout his tenure has personally stepped in when decisions are made and who has to be consulted before any major moves and who has just recently over ruled the front office he hired.

Seriously some of these people who are very intelligent must think Sox fans are idiots. 

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

When you think about it rationally who else is ultimately to "blame" but the owner? ESPECIALLY an owner who throughout his tenure has personally stepped in when decisions are made and who has to be consulted before any major moves and who has just recently over ruled the front office he hired.

Seriously some of these people who are very intelligent must think Sox fans are idiots. 

Exactly.  Stone is trying to defend the root cause of all of the Sox problems — a meddling cheap owner who only employs neutered GMs.  Embarrassing.

39 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly.  Stone is trying to defend the root cause of all of the Sox problems — a meddling cheap owner who only employs neutered GMs.  Embarrassing.

I love Stoney, but to absolve JR of blame? Unacceptable Steve. As far as him coming back ... he makes a great buck and apparently can turn down attending several road trips per season. I assume he turns down the Detroit and Cleveland trips a lot and probably a West coast trip or trip up to play Toronto.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I love Stoney, but to absolve JR of blame? Unacceptable Steve. As far as him coming back ... he makes a great buck and apparently can turn down attending several road trips per season. I assume he turns down the Detroit and Cleveland trips a lot and probably a West coast trip or trip up to play Toronto.

Skips some of the West Coast trips, too...

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The funny thing is how in the interview Stone talks about how difficult things are in the organization but somehow, someway JR isn't responsible for any of it. 😆

Right.

In my mind that makes Stone a phony, I really don’t care if stays or goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Considering we are staring down the barrel of another 90-100 loss season, I’m not really sure i will be hearing much of Steve next season regardless

90 losses would be a 30 game improvement. Doubtful. If they could only lose 105-110 that's still progress

46 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

90 losses would be a 30 game improvement. Doubtful. If they could only lose 105-110 that's still progress

You are welcome to compare the piles of s%*# to see which is taller.  I don’t really feel like it’s something to quibble about

11 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The fans are so unhappy that they want to take it out on one person, and the easiest way is to take it out on the man who owns the team.

Yes, the easiest way is to take it out on the person primarily responsible for the failure.

Hard agree, Stone.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Yes, the easiest way is to take it out on the person primarily responsible for the failure.

Hard agree, Stone.

According to his Twitter, Stone says there’s multiple people to blame.

Edited by WhiteSox2023