The Dawning of the Age of Sizemore/ Sox vs Cubs game thread 7:10 first pitch 8/9/24

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Third straight win by the Cubs this year over the Sox and all by the same identical score of 7-6.

I remember the other 2 games were very frustrating...both blown leads by the bullpen I believe with the Sox not able to score against a pretty awful Cubby bullpen if I'm remembering correctly.

Just now, wegner said:

I remember the other 2 games were very frustrating...both blown leads by the bullpen I believe with the Sox not able to score against a pretty awful Cubby bullpen if I'm remembering correctly.

Correct. Sox blew leads in the 8th inning (Leasure) in the first game and in the 7th inning (Soroka/Schuester) in the second game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

You don’t get an easier situation that calls for a bunt 

Yup last AB need to at least tie it up. I get that Lopez had 3 hits already and was facing a RHP but counting on another hit from him was pushing it.

Get both runners in scoring position and u got a guy very capable of hitting extra base hits or hitting a deep fly to get a run across. I don't care how bad he's slumping. He's still their best power hitter , If they walk him then based loaded 1 out and maybe a pitching change is forced or you face Beni, the hottest hitter, with the RHP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sizemore’s postgame conference just destroyed anything Grifol ever uttered.  I will root for Sizemore to get the job.  He was a good player and he doesn’t sound like an absolute jackass like Grifol.

Spoiler…he’s not getting the job :)

17 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

Don’t understand why Lopez did not bunt the runners over to 2nd and 3rd.  Robert’s fly out would have tied it.

You can't assume the same result when the situation would've been different. They could've intentionally walked him to set up a DP or pitched him differently hoping he'd get himself out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Spoiler…he’s not getting the job :)

I didn’t say he was.  But it’s just sad that a guy with barely any experience looks and sounds like a huge improvement to Grifol.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I didn’t say he was.  But it’s just sad that a guy with barely any experience looks and sounds like a huge improvement to Grifol.

For sure, didn’t mean it to come across as rude. Of course, a mute is more personable than Grifol.  Would have been a great win.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Benintendi’s wRC+ is 76. Robert is at 84. Let that sink in.

I want to apologize to you.  I always thought you were more of a Sox apologist that thought they are doing everything right.  I was completely wrong.  You are calling out the Sox for their stupid decisions, and rightfully so.  The trade deadline was an absolute clusterfuck.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I want to apologize to you.  I always thought you were more of a Sox apologist that thought they are doing everything right.  I was completely wrong.  You are calling out the Sox for their stupid decisions, and rightfully so.  The trade deadline was an absolute clusterfuck.

They couldn’t have fucked up the deadline more.

• Like 1

Apparently JR was at the game tonight. From Steve Greenberg's postgame story:

"That is, unless you count the sight of owner Jerry Reinsdorf making the rounds behind the batting cage Friday before a game against the Cubs. The old man slapped the shoulders of the new coaches who’ve replaced the ones fired along with Pedro Grifol. He hugged Ozzie Guillen and walked side-by-side with Harold Baines. He avoided eye contact with reporters, as is his custom. There went Reinsdorf — lord of all he surveys, including and especially the worst team on the planet’s galling 28-89 record. But enough about that."

Man the Cubs bashed Crochet around. Sox continue to be the only team in sports that gets a new manager and no immediate boost for a week or so. Trailing 7-0 is not a good formula to win.

Beni is starting to resemble a big leaguer again. Maybe he'll wind up being a leader next year and help the Sox improve to about 55-60 wins.

28 minutes ago, tray said:

"Who's your hero tonight?" not Vaughn.

He’s not anyone’s hero.  We all know Vaughn blows.

Where did you get the idea that the majority of Sox fans love Vaughn?  He’s just the next target of failure after your favorite failure Eloy was traded away.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Not trading Robert and Crochet at the deadline was unforgivable imo. I knew this season was going to be a s%*# show and I don’t think there’s much Getz could have done to avoid it but when they were blessed with a dominant first half from Crochet they needed to take advantage of it and they did not. By holding on to these two guys they’re simply extending the time it takes for this team to return to competitiveness. Very dumb.