8/10 Sox vs. Cubs 6:15PM

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

McCarthy over Fletcher isn’t even the main point.

It’s just the total lack of a vision for the org…which is finding projectable highly athletic up the middle talent and allocating it across the diamond instead of the backwards approach of the White Sox.

Hate AJ Preller all you want, but he decided to try to build a killer bullpen like Hahn in 2021-22 and executed that plan flawlessly after not doing enough at the deadline last year.

Traded 6/12 top prospects in doing so.

In fact, Tanner Scott will even be a free agent at the end of this season.

They basically had to cut nearly $150 million in payroll, get past the highly popular team owner’s death and are now getting more production from King Vazquez Higashioka combined than Soto last year and have even managed to survive and even thrive without Tatis Musgrove and Darvish.  Consistently Top 3-4 in MLB attendance despite having their media rights deal decapitated and being in one of the 2-3 smallest media markets.

Cease has been what some or many feared. Jackson Merrill has shifted seamlessly from SS to CF as one of the youngest players in all of baseball. Profar Estrada (struggling recently) Solano Peralta have all made considerable contributions and were better moves than any that Getz and Barfield made, with the singular exception of Fedde.  Which has now basically been thrown away by the looks of it based on early returns from Vargas.

And SD throughout has also maintained its position as an attractive FA destination.

Not to mention they have survived trading Wood Abrams and Gore…with James Wood looking like he could be a potential star and CJ quite close already.  Remember his draft year discussions/debates?   Of course they have just won 16/18, but the resilience has been everything the Sox are not, and comeback winners consistently despite being the very worst in baseball at it last year.

“Padres Rant” TM out of the way for now…

Trading for Fletcher over McCarthy IS the main point.  It is a specific example that shows that Getz’s scouting and player evaluation failed massively.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

The economics of sports/baseball riddle me. The Sox can't be selling ANY merchandise anymore. I mean none. You'd have to be embarrased to wear Sox stuff outside GRate. ... The parking lots have to be empty. ... There can't be any lines for concessions cept when they play the Cubs, Bosox or Yanks. ... Yet the team is worth a gazillion dollars in a bad economy. Nobody can explain to me how TV can afford to fund these sports franchises with the golden deals. What advertiser would want to advertise with these low ratings?

It's called more revenue sources both domestically and internationally for MLB than ever before in history. Shared mega-millions in TV revenue, a sweetheart lease agreement with the state, a low payroll during the first "rebuild" seasons and the fact that JR still gets money from the parking lots which he owns (they'll still draw about 1.5 million). 

I don't know if this is a 'bad economy' or not, most figures say it is not and JR certainly knows how to manipulate the system including taxes.  

A few after game notes from James f**an at Sox Machine.

Chris Flexen has now gone 17 straight starts without a win, a franchise record.

And he wrote that on the play where Bellinger scored and Baldwin never even looked at home plate, "Cameras caught Cubs players laughing at replays of the gaffe on their tablets in the dugout." 

The Sox have officially become a laughingstock I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

A few after game notes from James f**an at Sox Machine.

Chris Flexen has now gone 17 straight starts without a win, a franchise record.

And he wrote that on the play where Bellinger scored and Baldwin never even looked at home plate, "Cameras caught Cubs players laughing at replays of the gaffe on their tablets in the dugout." 

The Sox have officially become a laughingstock I guess. 

Watch it again for yourself.  Good thing Getz accomplished his offseason goal of improving the defense!

Oops…

https://mlb-cuts-diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2024/2024-08/10/6c175e61-16f4a2ac-0ff5ff9d-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_16000K.mp4

Edited by WhiteSox2023

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’d love to see someone argue how this team can be competitive in the next 5 years.  This s%*# is gonna take 10 years, another GM, and 2 more managers.

And , after the rebuild, we were told that the 2023 team was championship caliber. Now another rebuild! I don't have time for this!

• Paper Bag 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's called more revenue sources both domestically and internationally for MLB than ever before in history. Shared mega-millions in TV revenue, a sweetheart lease agreement with the state, a low payroll during the first "rebuild" seasons and the fact that JR still gets money from the parking lots which he owns (they'll still draw about 1.5 million). 

I don't know if this is a 'bad economy' or not, most figures say it is not and JR certainly knows how to manipulate the system including taxes.  

Do you at least agree that only in sports can a team be this historically awful and still be worth unlimited amounts of money? This would be like owning a restaurant and having the food be undercooked and the service awful and yet have waiting lists of two hours to get in the place. Inexplicable.

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Watch it again for yourself.  Good thing Getz accomplished his offseason goal of improving the defense!

Oops…

https://mlb-cuts-diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2024/2024-08/10/6c175e61-16f4a2ac-0ff5ff9d-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_16000K.mp4

I'm still pissed off at this play. Grady can't sweep this under his rug. Yes, Cub bench was laughing out loud after the play.

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oops…

And that great player development program he headed at work.

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s give him some time.  He just went from the Dodgers to the White Sox…that has to be a demoralizing adjustment.

I know people don't like the "eye test"  but after going to my first game in two years I'm not liking what I see from Vargas.  His body language just says it all. His posture at the plate, on the bases, and on the field just screams "lazy" to me.  He's not a ballplayer, he's just a talented player without a clue how to play the game.  Kinda like Moncada and Robert two other Sox busts.  

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Do you at least agree that only in sports can a team be this historically awful and still be worth unlimited amounts of money? This would be like owning a restaurant and having the food be undercooked and the service awful and yet have waiting lists of two hours to get in the place. Inexplicable.

Absolutely. 

3 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I know people don't like the "eye test"  but after going to my first game in two years I'm not liking what I see from Vargas.  His body language just says it all. His posture at the plate, on the bases, and on the field just screams "lazy" to me.  He's not a ballplayer, he's just a talented player without a clue how to play the game.  Kinda like Moncada and Robert two other Sox busts.  

Interesting to point out only those 3. 

2 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

They have a lot more busts and "lazy" players than just 3 Cuban guys. 

If you think that’s what he was going for, I disagree.  And I’m sure he would’ve mentioned Eloy, who is Dominican, had he not been traded.

7 hours ago, oldsox said:

I'm still pissed off at this play. Grady can't sweep this under his rug. Yes, Cub bench was laughing out loud after the play.

Embarrassing. Not a major league product Jerry is putting out there. In a Cubs Sox game there's no throw home, what a joke.