Benintendi

Even though he’s pretty lousy in LF I’m hoping he finally has figured things out, let’s hope so because he’s got 3 years left with the Sox. Maybe if he’s on fire the last month and a half some team might take him off our hands.

• Like 1

Agreed.  Benintendi at 13 homers right now is amazing after how he started the season.  If he can get up to a .270 AVG and .750 OPS, he will at least be playable and perhaps even tradable.  If the Sox ever acquire a better defensive LF, they can move Benintendi to DH.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Even though he’s pretty lousy in LF I’m hoping he finally has figured things out, let’s hope so because he’s got 3 years left with the Sox. Maybe if he’s on fire the last month and a half some team might take him off our hands.

Nobody will take his salary off your hands based on a six week sample size compared with the last two years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Nobody will take his salary off your hands based on a six week sample size compared with the last two years.

I think this goes back to something that has come up a couple times. The Sox not only have to be high bidders for a free agent but by a significant margin. The "we suck as a franchise penalty". 

Once we have them, moving then gets tough.

Would he have played elsewhere for the same money? A million less? Five million less? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johno said:

Would you consider trading him to Detroit for Javy Baez?   One bad contract for another.   i would probably say no.

No, and here’s why…

Benintendi:  25:$16.5M, 26:$16.5M, 27:$14.5M

Baez:  25:$25M, 26:$24M, 27:$24M

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Johno said:

Would you consider trading him to Detroit for Javy Baez?   One bad contract for another.   i would probably say no.

For even dollars and because SS is the leader of that infield and we don’t have one.

Clearly the best defender of all possibilities (compared to incoming rookies), but do you really want him as your team leader?  At this point, at least Benintendi has reconciled himself to fate and knows playing better is the only way out unless Red Sox get overly sentimental about a return engagement.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/_/year/2025/position/ss/sort/contract_value

There’s the bleak list.  Kim will likely stay in SD and Adames out of their price range.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Paper Bag 1

Baez has been even worse than Benintendi and looks to be declining in each of the past three seasons.  He’s also turning 32 this winter.  He’s only going to get worse.

2022:  .671 OPS

2023:  .592 OPS

2024:  .497 OPS

I don’t think there’s a team in baseball that would trade for Baez, unless Detroit included one of their top prospects in the deal.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

.211 batting average and 40 RBI kind of reeks if anybody's using the old stats. You know what's funny? People that love the old time stats for hitters BA HR RBI SBs get mocked by the advanced-stat people. Yet all the baseball announcers use BA HR RBI SBs, even pitcher wins and losses and ERA during their telecasts. Hilarious. And quite the non sequitir.

Did anybody see Bill James, the original Sabes guy write earlier this season that advanced stats have ruined the game? I enjoyed reading that.

But to conclude Beni reeks despite his 13 homers or however many he's hit. .211 doesn't cut it.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

.211 batting average and 40 RBI kind of reeks if anybody's using the old stats. You know what's funny? People that love the old time stats for hitters BA HR RBI SBs get mocked by the advanced-stat people. Yet all the baseball announcers use BA HR RBI SBs, even pitcher wins and losses and ERA during their telecasts. Hilarious. And quite the non sequitir.

Did anybody see Bill James, the original Sabes guy write earlier this season that advanced stats have ruined the game? I enjoyed reading that.

But to conclude Beni reeks despite his 13 homers or however many he's hit. .211 doesn't cut it.

The game is so different. I used to play Strat-o-matic as a kid. I loved homers, hits and walks. Dave Kingman was a whiff machine back in the day. But his career high was 156, which is close to the pace Andrew  Vaughn is on this year, and whiff machine doesn't even cross my mind thinking of him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The game is so different. I used to play Strat-o-matic as a kid. I loved homers, hits and walks. Dave Kingman was a whiff machine back in the day. But his career high was 156, which is close to the pace Andrew  Vaughn is on this year, and whiff machine doesn't even cross my mind thinking of him.

Strat-o-matic was the greatest baseball game ever. I ran a league when I was stationed on a semi-remote Air Force Radar Site in South Dakota in 1966-67.

Ran a league with this exact Eagle Toys Hockey also, wasn’t much to do in South Dakota. No one could beat me at that game.
Sorry for getting off my topic.

IMG_0046.jpeg

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Agreed.  Benintendi at 13 homers right now is amazing after how he started the season.  If he can get up to a .270 AVG and .750 OPS, he will at least be playable and perhaps even tradable.  If the Sox ever acquire a better defensive LF, they can move Benintendi to DH.

We need everything, it’s been years since we’ve had a MLB rightfielder or second baseman.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Did anybody play All-Star Baseball as a kid, the game with the player discs? It was one for home run, 9 for strikeout, 7 for a single I think. Anyway the discs came with the game (which you could play alone) but I as a kid found some where you could order discs. I sent away for some discs (no internet back then) and when they arrived in the mail it was an early Christmas. Disks of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Hack Wilson and all the modern players as well. Pitchers had to hit back then so there were indeed disks of pitchers' too. They were accurate or tried to be as guys like Bob Gibson could hit a little bit and some other guys could never get a hit. This may have been my favorite game as a kid. You could play with friends as well but for some reason it was more fun to play alone.         https://www.ebay.com/itm/285971872212?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-166974-028196-7&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=285971872212&targetid=2357078962517&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9023847&poi=&campaignid=20903471692&mkgroupid=161081173195&rlsatarget=pla-2357078962517&abcId=9362635&merchantid=6296724&geoid=9023847&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5ea1BhC6ARIsAEOG5pxnms8Y-Q19kCq8Raw-15qZ5mxtzCeTeT0NY9oKzhv-0LYP9Zr4hq0aAnp7EALw_wcB