Benintendi

21 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I kind of think Benintendi still has some upside, looking at his advanced stats. BABIP seems low and hard hit seems about 90% of what it was. I don't think he'll be a .270 hitter, but a .250 hitter with 20 homers/20 doubles a year would be fine. 

He's only done this one time and it was exactly 20, back when he was 22 years old, his first full year in the league in 2017.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He's only done this one time and it was exactly 20, back when he was 22 years old, his first full year in the league in 2017.

Seriously, he has 23 HR's total in the last 3 seasons combined.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Left Field at Fenway was perfect for him, both offensively and defensively.  It's not surprising that his best years were there.

I thought about them as a bad contract swap but the only comparable deal is Yoshida so it's not exactly a match: trading one overpaid left-handed hitter for another.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

18 hours ago, tray said:

Every third base coach in the league loves Benintendi. He can't throw runners out from shallow left field.

I'm sure that's why neither KC nor NY were interested in keeping him.

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

Introducing MLB's 2024 All-Overpaid Team | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Benny made the list also they snuck Sassi in there, I forgot about him. 

Plenty of current White Sox and ex Sox.  I don't have any optimism that Getz can figure it out and build a team, but any glimmer of hope will peak my interest.

I will say this much, there was a definite camp of people pissed off when we let James McCann walk away, but holy crap did we play that to perfection.

We got him to .276/.335/.474/.808  114 OPS+

His career averages .241/.293/.377/.670 82 OPS+

Since he left .222/.278/.338/.616/ 73 OPS+

The only two times he had an OPS+ over average in his 11 year career?  With the Sox. 

Same with Jose Abreu's and Lucas Giolito's career move after the Sox.

That Rick Hahn is a genius.

On 8/19/2024 at 9:26 AM, southsider2k5 said:

I will say this much, there was a definite camp of people pissed off when we let James McCann walk away, but holy crap did we play that to perfection.

We got him to .276/.335/.474/.808  114 OPS+

His career averages .241/.293/.377/.670 82 OPS+

Since he left .222/.278/.338/.616/ 73 OPS+

The only two times he had an OPS+ over average in his 11 year career?  With the Sox. 

Same with Jose Abreu's and Lucas Giolito's career move after the Sox.

That Rick Hahn is a genius.

You nailed it on McCann.

I was in the camp of keeping him, boy was I wrong

On 8/19/2024 at 7:52 AM, Falstaff said:

Introducing MLB's 2024 All-Overpaid Team | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Plenty of current White Sox and ex Sox.  I don't have any optimism that Getz can figure it out and build a team, but any glimmer of hope will peak my interest.

The Sox paid Stassi the MLB min of $740k, btw. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Which the author acknowledged in the article below, but also which makes Stassi a stupid inclusion.  Getz wasted far more money on bums that actually played and were negative value.  Stassi missing the season was no huge loss, other than it leading to more playing time for the horrible burnt toast Martin Maldonado.

The Braves did agree to pay the majority of his salary in sending him to Chicago for a player to be named later. But he missed all of last season and will miss all of this season because of a hip injury.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

On 8/19/2024 at 7:52 AM, Falstaff said:

Actually, plenty of ex Chicago players in general.

On 8/12/2024 at 7:13 AM, Falstaff said:

I think Benny is going to get packaged with Crochet in a trade this offseason, Getz will get jack in return.

Ruins the chances of getting anything for Crochet.  Better to keep him, now that he's back to mediocre.

9 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Ruins the chances of getting anything for Crochet.  Better to keep him, now that he's back to mediocre.

Mediocre would at least be useful.  The problem is he has been the worst LF in baseball when O and D are both factored in.

On 8/20/2024 at 2:35 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah it was a buy low option that didn't work out. I liked the trade.

Stassi numbers have varied wildy but when healthy he is usually pretty good. It was worth a flyer. Had we backfilled the move with another buy low bounceback candidate it would have been much better.

But we signed Maldonado that was the real problem. You sign as many of those guys as possible and hope one of them has a bounce back year or is decent enough he brings back something at the deadline. You don't sign one guy then when he doesn't bounce back pretend there was some sort of problem with the process.