Kopech w/LA 5 games, 5 IP, 8 Ks, no walks. ERA 0.00, 1-0.

hankchifan

Typical result of pitchers that we trade do better elsewhere, ie. ReyLo, Bummer, Cease, now Kopech so far.  The problem is compounded with the poor returns we are getting.  Most of our trades of our better players look like salary dumps to me first of all.  Doesn’t speak well of our coaching, GMand overall team motivation.

• Like 1

Just now, hankchifan said:
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Michael Kopech in an interview after his immaculate inning quite literally told reporters he hadn't been listening to coaching. He needed to go no matter what he did after he left.

I don’t disagree with you.  My point is that we should have gotten a bigger return.  Fireballer relief pitchers are always in demand.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Kopech in his last 5 games with the Sox: 5.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1H, 1BB, 8K and an immaculate inning.

It's almost like he just has good stuff.

You are right.  We should have gotten more in return fromLA/STL.

Kopech would never keep his composure on the mound. His concentration just wasn't there. He'd let bad calls or mistakes get to him. I don't know if the Sox staff ever addressed this, but Maldonaldo did one time, and Kopech finished the inning okay.

11 hours ago, hankchifan said:

I don’t disagree with you.  My point is that we should have gotten a bigger return.  Fireballer relief pitchers are always in demand.

He is a known Headcase and has always been streaky good and bad.  Acting like we should have gotten a better return based on his three weeks with his new team is 20/20 hindsight 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He is a known Headcase and has always been streaky good and bad.  Acting like we should have gotten a better return based on his three weeks with his new team is 20/20 hindsight 

Everyone has always seen the potential, and a lot of people claimed that he'd thrive in the right environment with the right mindset.

So I wouldn't say it's 20/20 hindsight.

1 hour ago, Highland said:

Kopech would never keep his composure on the mound. His concentration just wasn't there. He'd let bad calls or mistakes get to him. I don't know if the Sox staff ever addressed this, but Maldonaldo did one time, and Kopech finished the inning okay.

Without distractions like bad defense or getting a bad call, Kopech is a very good pitcher.  The problem is he quickly loses composure when faced with adversity.  He's playing on a much better team now, so it's likely he'll pitch better.  But as someone else pointed out, he was lights out for his last few appearances with the Sox.  Maybe listening to the coaches is a good thing?

Honestly, though, I hope he does well moving forward, but I don't miss him.

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Everyone has always seen the potential, and a lot of people claimed that he'd thrive in the right environment with the right mindset.

Thinking that the package could have been better if people would just have known he would be so good with the dodgers is def 20/20.  Nobody was kicking down the door for him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

The point here is if he is refusing coaching, he isn't going to succeed here.

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Thinking that the package could have been better if people would just have known he would be so good with the dodgers is def 20/20.  Nobody was kicking down the door for him

I think at the time of the trade, many people said the return for him (well, him + Fedde) was underwhelming, especially once you look at what Banks fetched.

• Like 1

I agree that Kopech was a head case but bottom line is the White Sox just don’t hire the best Managers, GMs coaches and scouts not only at the Major league level and also the Minor League. I would bet that Robert, Eloy, Vaughn, Sheets and Benintendi would have all been better hitters with good coaching along with the right analytics. Of course it goes back to to Ebeneezer Reinsdorf who won’t spend the money to bring winning baseball to the Southside.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

I think at the time of the trade, many people said the return for him (well, him + Fedde) was underwhelming, especially once you look at what Banks fetched.

I never really felt it was being said that the Kopech inclusion that made it underwhelming as much as simply whiffing on getting return value for Fedde.

• Like 1