Jake Burger trade

Just keeps getting worse annd worse.  He would be leading our team in average,  hrs, rbis right now.  He now has 11 HRs in his last 17 games.  Not too mention he is the best clubhouse guy we had. 

And we traded him for a middle of the road prospect coming back from injury.  How many years of control did we have? 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Just because he would be the best we would have doesn't mean he is actually good.

He’s an above average slugger, I actually enjoyed watching him hit.  With that said, cashing him in wasn’t a bad idea, it’s just the guy they got just hasn’t put it together in a long time.

Edited by fathom
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Just because he would be the best we would have doesn't mean he is actually good.

4.2 oWAR in the last 1.5 years. 57 HRs and 132 rbis. I will take that.  I would say the numbers show he is actually good.  He had 4 years of control left.  Why trade him? He was going into his supposed prime years.  Without the missed omit time this year he might hit 40hrs.

And he makes 750k this year

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

Burger’s OPS is now up to .775 on the season and his career OPS is at .798.

Meanwhile, Eder has an ERA over 6 in Charlotte and we pray that Vargas can sniff Burger’s numbers.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

He has 0.6 WAR. My guess if Eloy manages to stay healthy we are going to regret that deal much more more than Burger. 

No, and not even because he can’t stay healthy.  Eloy is at -0.3 WAR.  I would be surprised if the Orioles pick up his $16.5 million dollar option.  He will likely be a free agent.  Meanwhile, Burger is earning $760K with 4 more years of control.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

3 hours ago, Ozzie for Manager said:

Just keeps getting worse annd worse.  He would be leading our team in average,  hrs, rbis right now.  He now has 11 HRs in his last 17 games.  Not too mention he is the best clubhouse guy we had. 

And we traded him for a middle of the road prospect coming back from injury.  How many years of control did we have? 

One of the worst trades made by the Hahn/KW regime.

• Like 1

Burger woulda been a good DH for 10 years or so. Fielding is unreliable. No range and like TA will boot the routine play occasionally.

Love him though. His presence woulda helped this lineup a lot this year. A lot.

I still understand trading him. When he is hot he is great but he also is a low on base percentage slugger with little defensive value and an extensive injury history.

That type of Player usually doesn't age very well and even in their prime they can have long slumps. One month he might hit .190 with 1 homer and the next hit .300 with 9 homers. For now the bottom line has been fine (like 250 with 25-30 homers) but in his early 30s the 190 months could become more frequent and the 300 months less frequent and then he quickly is a replacement level player.

The return for burger doesn't look good and they probably should have gotten a better return but the trade market for low OBP corner mashers is not really good in the modern game.

I kinda understand the trade. Eder was struggling coming off surgery but before he was considered a high level pitching prospect. 

The alternative probably would have been to get a pair of lower variance high 40 fv guys (sox current 10-15 range in system) and maybe that would look better now but the ceiling of that is probably getting two bench bats or low leverage relievers.

At least with Eder there was a chance he bounces back to #3 starter ceiling but of course also the risk he flames out of baseball and has no mlb career.

Edited by Dominikk85

55 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I still understand trading him. When he is hot he is great but he also is a low on base percentage slugger with little defensive value and an extensive injury history.

That type of Player usually doesn't age very well and even in their prime they can have long slumps. One month he might hit .190 with 1 homer and the next hit .300 with 9 homers. For now the bottom line has been fine (like 250 with 25-30 homers) but in his early 30s the 190 months could become more frequent and the 300 months less frequent and then he quickly is a replacement level player.

The return for burger doesn't look good and they probably should have gotten a better return but the trade market for low OBP corner mashers is not really good in the modern game.

I kinda understand the trade. Eder was struggling coming off surgery but before he was considered a high level pitching prospect. 

The alternative probably would have been to get a pair of lower variance high 40 fv guys (sox current 10-15 range in system) and maybe that would look better now but the ceiling of that is probably getting two bench bats or low leverage relievers.

At least with Eder there was a chance he bounces back to #3 starter ceiling but of course also the risk he flames out of baseball and has no mlb career.

Here is the problem.  At best, guys like Baldwin, Sosa, Ja.Gonzalez and even Montgomery (due to defense) all look like 1-1.5 fWAR type players.  None of them are going to win any BEST tool accolades like an Oneil Cruz or Elly de la Cruz or Julio Take Me on a Sea Cruz even.

We know what is Sheets and Vaughn AT BEST.  It’s not good enough, simply.  It’s average, at best, yet again.  

So you MIGHT have Montgomery.  50/50 at best if the back issues settle.

Relying on Quero offensively AND defensively?  That’s a ton to expect out of a rookie.

Then just nobody in the outfield that could be a star.  Fletcher, DeLoach, Julks, that high obp kid from SD 2-3 years out from now maybe a 5-10% shot at best.

You simply have to base your lineup on 3-4 guys who can OPS 800 or even push up to 900+ to survive if you can’t buy talent.

We don’t even have one 800+ (did it for at least a season) guy once we dump Robert.  At least Burger provides some respect/fear from opponents and occupies one of those 3-4 key spots that carries the offense potentially.

Benentendi and Vaughn are your best hitters, with Wolkow/Quero/Montgomery the most reliably predictable future center of the offense.  But never in a million years would I start to count on THAT happening.

Thats’s more barren than the most dangerous desert zone in Westworld (in fact, would prefer Musk’s ex over any of our current AA/AAA options), guys like Payton, Ortega, WHOEVER.

Somehow we’ve turned borderline top 100 guys in Colas and Santos into DFA candidates as well.  Inexplicable.  Totally.  Completely.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Burger woulda been a good DH for 10 years or so. Fielding is unreliable. No range and like TA will boot the routine play occasionally.

Love him though. His presence woulda helped this lineup a lot this year. A lot.

I will never understand why Jake was traded.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

How many threads do we need crying about the Burger trade?

Until there’s one about actually winning a trade clearly, one would imagine.

https://www.mlb.com/player/jake-cousins-664776

Did we win the Jake Cousins trade???

Not according to those numbers with the NY Yankees this season.  He even hung a save on us while we now have perhaps the worst pen in modern baseball history.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I will never understand why Jake was traded.

Maybe Eder is the type of guy this franchise needs to take a chance on and Burger was what it took to get hkm....however at the time I was really pissed because they traded away a guy who was hitting for power and absolutely the only guy on the team that busted his ass hustling every night. It still feels like a big F U to the fans as Hahn/Kenny were headed out the door.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

Maybe Eder is the type of guy this franchise needs to take a chance on and Burger was what it took to get hkm....however at the time I was really pissed because they traded away a guy who was hitting for power and absolutely the only guy on the team that busted his ass hustling every night. It still feels like a big F U to the fans as Hahn/Kenny were headed out the door.

He was crushing Moncada’s sprint speeds, even…I mean, how is that even humanly possible?

• Like 1