Jake Burger trade

lol @ the people saying he is average. His 1100 OPS since July 1st says otherwise. He had a nagging injury during the spring but now hes back to his old self and improving even. 

Meanwhile we have Jake Eder:
5 ERA in AA

10 ERA in AAA

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

lol @ the people saying he is average. His 1100 OPS since July 1st says otherwise. He had a nagging injury during the spring but now hes back to his old self and improving even. 

5 ERA in AA

10 ERA in AAA

I think the posters that say trading Burger wasn’t the huge mistake due to his age, lack of a position, and the Sox new timeline to be good again have a good argument, but trading him with Eder being the return looks to be a huge whiff now.  Unless Eder turns into something, which doesn’t look likely right now with how awful he has been in the minors, this trade was a bust.  It sure looks like the Marlins robbed the Sox so far.  I’m not sure how this can even be debated.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think the posters that say trading Burger wasn’t the huge mistake due to his age, lack of a position, and the Sox new timeline to be good again have a good argument, but trading him with Eder being the return looks to be a huge whiff now.  Unless Eder turns into something, which doesn’t look likely right now with how awful he has been in the minors, this trade was a bust.  It sure looks like the Marlins robbed the Sox so far.  I’m not sure how this can even be debated.

They were the clear TDL winner moving players and bringing in prospects.

What the Sox should have looked like but somehow didn’t.

We undoubtedly bring the ghost of Avisail Garcia back for RF next year.  Marketing.

20 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

5 ERA in AA

10 ERA in AAA

You know what makes him “average”?  Prior to July 1 he was hot garbage.  He is an incredibly streaky player and was just like this in a Sox uniform.  I’m not sad they moved on from him but the trade was a panic garbage trade made in secret by half of a soon to be fired front office.  It just stinks all around, every part of it.  But im not gonna be upset that burger is gone and would theoretically be our best hitter.  The Sox are the worst team in the league and likely history, best hitter on this team is tallest midget 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

How many threads do we need crying about the Burger trade?

Need at least one for every 15 game hot stretch he has the rest of his career, while ignoring the two month stretches where he bats .150 with a 30% K rate.

55 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

We don’t even know 100% if Colson Montgomery has a legit value added position, either.

Which version of him?

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

You know what makes him “average”?  Prior to July 1 he was hot garbage.  He is an incredibly streaky player and was just like this in a Sox uniform.  I’m not sad they moved on from him but the trade was a panic garbage trade made in secret by half of a soon to be fired front office.  It just stinks all around, every part of it.  But im not gonna be upset that burger is gone and would theoretically be our best hitter.  The Sox are the worst team in the league and likely history, best hitter on this team is tallest midget 

So who do they actually start building around?

Quero and Lee?  Benintendi?  Vaughn/Sheets?  Baldwin?

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

The bigger question is why do the Sox let front office guys they are about to fire dictate their trade deadline moves?

Kenny traded Burger for Eder last trade deadline and then Kenny was fired three weeks later.

Mike Tosar recommended Miguel Vargas and then Tosar was fired a week after the trade deadline.

Sure seems a bit strange to me.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Until there’s one about actually winning a trade clearly, one would imagine.

https://www.mlb.com/player/jake-cousins-664776

Did we win the Jake Cousins trade???

Not according to those numbers with the NY Yankees this season.  He even hung a save on us while we now have perhaps the worst pen in modern baseball history.

I will never understand the obsession with deciding who won a trade while the outcome is still happening in real time.

4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Need at least one for every 15 game hot stretch he has the rest of his career, while ignoring the two month stretches where he bats .150 with a 30% K rate.

Burger still had value last trade deadline due to his HR power.  Yet, we got a pitcher for him who can’t even maintain an ERA under 5 in the minors.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I will never understand the obsession with deciding who won a trade while the outcome is still happening in real time.

The Sox got back cash considerations for Cousins.  But to Jerry, that’s probably winning the trade regardless of what Cousins does going forward.  ?

30 minutes ago, Snopek said:

That’s like tabling all new White Sox stadium discussion until 2029-2030.

After every sports championship, an immediate article predicting the following season and even ranking 30-32 teams or even hundreds for NCAA bb and fb.

We live in an immediate gratification society.

Grifol with his historically horrific managerial record must surely understand that much at least.  We won’t wait five years to declare him worst or Bottom 2-3 manager in franchise history, will we?

41 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So who do they actually start building around?

Quero and Lee?  Benintendi?  Vaughn/Sheets?  Baldwin?

This is not the right question nor the right answers 

44 minutes ago, Snopek said:

It's worse on Twitter (X).  There are people on there that post every time Burger hits a home run.

I admit, I like Burger and didn't like the trade.  But living in the past does nothing.  Remember, if the past calls, let it go to voicemail.

Jake Burger has 0.7 bWAR on the year. This includes this stretch for the last 28 days where he has had a 1.200 OPS.

If he wasn't traded last deadline, he would have been traded this off-season/deadline. If he wasn't traded this deadline, he would have been traded next off-season/deadline. There is no scenario, ever, where Jake Burger is a building block for this team. 100 loss teams don't keep or build around 28 year old DH's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It's worse on Twitter (X).  There are people on there that post every time Burger hits a home run.

I admit, I like Burger and didn't like the trade.  But living in the past does nothing.  Remember, if the past calls, let it go to voicemail.

You can always tell when he is hot, because the threads come back.  Nothing was said for months when he had a Benitendi like OPS.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, T R U said:

Jake Burger has 0.7 bWAR on the year. This includes this stretch for the last 28 days where he has had a 1.200 OPS.

If he wasn't traded last deadline, he would have been traded this off-season/deadline. If he wasn't traded this deadline, he would have been traded next off-season/deadline. There is no scenario, ever, where Jake Burger is a building block for this team. 100 loss teams don't keep or build around 28 year old DH's.

Then why the hell did we trade for Fletcher at 26???

fWAR tells a completely different story.  Still has him as a negative net defender at third, that hasn’t changed.  But he did battle an oblique/abdominal injury at the very beginning of the season, that’s critical to add for context.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?stats=bat&lg=all&type=8&season=2024&month=0&season1=2024&ind=0&pos=3b&qual=200&pagenum=2&pageitems=30

exactly 21/42 third basemen with 200+ at-bats there

average

we don’t have a single player on the position player side that even comes close to AVERAGE right now

not a solitary one…

maybe worry about how we botched the two biggest opportunities to get ONE or even TWO who could actually be well above average, like Luis Robert in 2023 or Yoan Moncada in 2019

Edited by caulfield12

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Vargas over Mr. Twin meaningless too?

Jake Burger is 28 years old. He'll be well over 30 by the time the Sox are hopefully competitive. 

But thank you for dragging me into the surreal frontal cortex of your brain

• Haha 1

“The improved performance at the plate could be due to his reduced defensive responsibilities -- he's played third base only three times during that stretch while lining up at first base and DH four times each. Burger is batting .242 on the season with 20 home runs and 50 RBI in 94 contests.”

cbsportsline.com

Who could have predicted that, let’s say playing Sheets Vaughn and Eloy where they actually belong could possibly have led to better results???

Balta???

And maybe get Benintendi off the field as well, just like Pollock in RF or basically anywhere a ball could come his way???

The obvious problem here is that Sosa, Sheets, Julks, Baldwin and Montgomery can’t all DH simultaneously.

(Maybe Baldwin can settle into average at 2B…in theory.)

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Jake Burger is 28 years old. He'll be well over 30 by the time the Sox are hopefully competitive. 

But thank you for dragging me into the surreal frontal cortex of your brain

And Fletcher? A truly youthful 26?  Outfielders age out even faster these days.  Just look at Benintendi’s defensive decline from an unjustified Gold Glove due to the support of Red Sox Nation.

Edited by caulfield12

Jake Burger is not the solution to what ails this team.  Trade hasn't aged well to date, but its not a trade that is going to sting long term.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jake Burger is not the solution to what ails this team.  Trade hasn't aged well to date, but its not a trade this is going to sting long term.  

He is cheap offense. Something this team desperately needs.  Instead, the Sox have a soon to be 26 year old with a 10.00 ERA in AAA.

• Like 3