Jake Burger trade

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, great point.  I think they keep Burger now because he turned it around.  But like the Marlins and Rays always have to do, I sure wouldn’t be surprised to see them deal him within the next two years.  They will try to sell high on him with 2+ years of control left.

Maybe the White Sox can trade for Burger and bring him back for the 2025 season.

2 hours ago, T R U said:

The trade looks like a bust so far for the Sox. Im not trying to argue the trade was good. Trading Burger, was absolutely the right move.

Last time I checked, the Marlins were 30 games under .500 I don't think they're running a victory lap about this trade either.

And another thing.....Happy Birthday to you, young man!!! :cheers

16 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Maybe the White Sox can trade for Burger and bring him back for the 2025 season.

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nah, we need position players closer to 20 than 30.

And ones who can actually catch and throw a baseball on a semi-reasonable basis.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Burger is the best hitter on the planet at the moment. Every team can use a streak hitter that can win you a few games just by themselves (ie: Soto last night)

Yep.  Burger is already 2 for 2 tonight against the Phillies.  He’s up to a .255 AVG and .783 OPS.

At least Getz can’t be blamed for the Burger trade, as it was supposedly all Kenny’s idea.

However, Getz could have improved this team in the short and longer term had he traded for Jake McCarthy instead of Dominic Fletcher, and acquired both Victor Robles and Joey Bart, which would have cost barely anything.  But Getz refused to give up on Maldonado early, when every Sox fan watching knew he was done.

That’s three good starting position players that Getz could have acquired in-season for next to nothing, and this putrid season was the exact time to do it.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, T R U said:

Ok fine, he has a 1.3 fWAR. This is still not great. Being Mike Trout for 28 days doesn't erase the previous 90 days from existence.

The Fletcher trade really has nothing to do with Jake Burger. They don't play the same position, they aren't even remotely similar as players, and it was two different regimes. That trade sucked too by the way.

The fact remains, Jake Burger on the 2024 White Sox doesn't change the outcome of this season one bit. Jake Burger would never have seen the next competitive Sox team no matter what.

Aaron Judge on the 2024 white sox doesnt change the outcome of the season one bit either.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Burger is the best hitter on the planet at the moment. Every team can use a streak hitter that can win you a few games just by themselves (ie: Soto last night)

See Carlos Lee aka El Caballo and especially vs. Cubs

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Except Jake Burger wasn't even that guy two weeks ago, which is why no one wanted him then.  He had a .680 OPS at that point in time.  10 of his homers also came after that point.  He was rolling out the huge .233/.281/.399/.680 with 13 homers, or remarkably close to Andrew Vaughn, who also didn't great traded.  Also when absolutely no one cared about Jake Burger.  Trust me, if someone thought he was decent, Houston was begging for a real 1B.

Lost in the fact is that Burger was injured, And not just a tweaked hamstring or anything. It was a intercostal injury which is in the muscles in his ribs. Not a good injury for a power hitter. You think maybe that was why he struggled. Now you want to discount what he has done when healthy after the break. Should we discount what he did after the trade deadline last year in 53 games with a .303 average, 9 hrs and a 850 OPS. When healthy he produces . I will take 3.1 offensive WAR for a DH for 750K, at least hold onto him until he has 2 years left and he is putting up 35 HRs per year. You might get something better than a bad minor league pitcher.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ozzie for Manager said:

Lost in the fact is that Burger was injured, And not just a tweaked hamstring or anything. It was a intercostal injury which is in the muscles in his ribs. Not a good injury for a power hitter. You think maybe that was why he struggled. Now you want to discount what he has done when healthy after the break. Should we discount what he did after the trade deadline last year in 53 games with a .303 average, 9 hrs and a 850 OPS. When healthy he produces . I will take 3.1 offensive WAR for a DH for 750K, at least hold onto him until he has 2 years left and he is putting up 35 HRs per year. You might get something better than a bad minor league pitcher.

When he is healthy he produces.  Man if I had a nickel for every time I heard that excuse, I could buy this franchise. 

• Paper Bag 1

I am looking over Fletcher and Mccarthy and cant understand why we would pick DF. Mccarthy had performed much better, was the same age, has a lot of speed that Fletcher doesnt have. Tore up AAA and did well in the majors so far. So why choose Fletcher. Just another bad move. They need to do the George Costanza approach and do the opposite of whatever they are thinking in the future.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ozzie for Manager said:

I am looking over Fletcher and Mccarthy and cant understand why we would pick DF. Mccarthy had performed much better, was the same age, has a lot of speed that Fletcher doesnt have. Tore up AAA and did well in the majors so far. So why choose Fletcher. Just another bad move. They need to do the George Costanza approach and do the opposite of whatever they are thinking in the future.

Was that an option? At least Fletcher has hit well since returning. Made the two best catches we've seen all year tonight too, especially that first one. I'm turning into a fan if he can keep it up. 

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Was that an option? At least Fletcher has hit well since returning. Made the two best catches we've seen all year tonight too, especially that first one. I'm turning into a fan if he can keep it up. 

Yes, per Bob Nightengale:

– The White Sox had their choice between outfielder Jake McCarthy or Dominic Fletcher for Diamondbacks pitching prospect Cristian Mena, before taking Fletcher.  Certainly, they relied heavily on the advice of assistant GM Josh Barfield, who was the D-backs' former farm director.

2 hours ago, Ozzie for Manager said:

My guess is based on Barfield’s advice, due to him being the director of player development for the Diamondbacks for the past four years, and an extra year of player control.  McCarthy and Fletcher are only a month apart in age but McCarthy will be a free agent in 2029 and Fletcher will be a free agent in 2030.

Because you are correct, McCarthy had the better track record.  He was a better hitter in the minors than Fletcher and had already put up a good two-thirds of a season in 2022 (.769 OPS in 354 PA).  Meanwhile, Fletcher had a good year last season, but only in a small sample size (.791 OPS in 102 PA).

Thus far, it looks like a poor recommendation by Barfield and a bad final decision by Getz.  It seems like Getz chose the bigger question mark based on Barfield’s advice, and to also gain an extra year of control on the outfielder they were receiving.

As of tonight, McCarthy is hitting .311 / .383 / .457 / .840 with 17 stolen bases.  He’s currently worth 2.7 fWAR.

Yikes…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep.  Burger is already 2 for 2 tonight against the Phillies.  He’s up to a .255 AVG and .783 OPS.

At least Getz can’t be blamed for the Burger trade, as it was supposedly all Kenny’s idea.

However, Getz could have improved this team in the short and longer term had he traded for Jake McCarthy instead of Dominic Fletcher, and acquired both Victor Robles and Joey Bart, which would have cost barely anything.  But Getz refused to give up on Maldonado early, when every Sox fan watching knew he was done.

That’s three good starting position players that Getz could have acquired in-season for next to nothing, and this putrid season was the exact time to do it.

McCarthy (2.7 fWAR), Bart (1.1 fWAR) and Robles  (1.1 fWAR) would each qualify as the best hitter on the Sox this year.

Take them instead of Fletcher, Maldonado and Julks and maybe you're not staring down the barrel of being the worst of all time. Hell, maybe having just three non-god awful bars in the lineup lifts all boats from the ocean depths.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Quin said:

McCarthy (2.7 fWAR), Bart (1.1 fWAR) and Robles  (1.1 fWAR) would each qualify as the best hitter on the Sox this year.

Take them instead of Fletcher, Maldonado and Julks and maybe you're not staring down the barrel of being the worst of all time. Hell, maybe having just three non-god awful bars in the lineup lifts all boats from the ocean depths.

Yep.

The Mariners have already signed Robles to an extension, and it looks like a nice frugal contract.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/08/mariners-victor-robles-agree-to-extension.html

On 8/14/2024 at 6:50 AM, greg775 said:

Burger woulda been a good DH for 10 years or so. Fielding is unreliable. No range and like TA will boot the routine play occasionally.

Love him though. His presence woulda helped this lineup a lot this year. A lot.

Burger has great power and good batted ball quality so when he is hot he can outslug his plate discipline issues but generally players with a 4:1 k:bb ratio that is backed up by a high 30s chase rate and low 80s zone contact don't tend to age well.

That approach (Bad k to bb ratio and hoping that batted ball quality makes up for it has been the whole approach of the sox core during the short competitive run. Abreu, eloy, Tim, burger and others all had the same thing going. For abreu, anderson and for some rare times he was healthy for eloy it has worked but that approach can crash quickly if power or contact drop a little as we have seen.

So I do think trading him made sense when you want to build for in 2-3 years. You can of course question the timing of the trade and the return they got.

• Fire 1