Sox planning more playing time for Vargas/Fletcher

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Hostetler?  Buddy Bell?  TLR?  Moore?

Has there been a single published interview with Hahn or Haber this past year?

I haven't seen, heard or read word one from Hahn since the day after he was fired. 

18 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Grifol did almost as much damage to the org as he did to his own career.

Back in the 90's, Lou Piniella said something to the effect that a good Manager can win a handful of games a year, but a bad Manager can lose a dozen or more.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Back in the 90's, Lou Piniella said something to the effect that a good Manager can win a handful of games a year, but a bad Manager can lose a dozen or more.

Sizemore has these guys playing like they care.  I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Sizemore has these guys playing like they care.  I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot.

I have a glimmer of hope for some development with Grady even if he's in place just for the rest of the season.  As a fan my heart is pulling for Sizemore to get the manager's job in 2025, but we have been down this road before. An experienced manager is what is needed for this train wreck of a franchise, but if they are considering hiring a stiff, I would advocate for keeping Grady.

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

I have a glimmer of hope for some development with Grady even if he's in place just for the rest of the season.  As a fan my heart is pulling for Sizemore to get the manager's job in 2025, but we have been down this road before. An experienced manager is what is needed for this train wreck of a franchise, but if they are considering hiring a stiff, I would advocate for keeping Grady.

It's obvious that the players are playing with renewed energy and the games have been "watchable."  I believe Sizemore has creditability with the players and that goes a long way.

16 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How many other bums will he blame before he finally has to admit that Getz was the problem all along?

Again it's JR. Paddy may or may not be competent. He  did sign Tatis Jr. However , I can state with 85 % surety that Paddy has a much smaller pool of players to choose from because of restrictions about dealing with players from the DR. Every year it's the same . Sox will sign plenty of Venezuelans and Cubans but the place that's had the most talented players consistently for 50 years is the DR and the Sox only swim in the DR kiddie pool. This will not change as long as JR owns the team.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Again it's JR. Paddy may or may not be competent. He  did sign Tatis Jr. However I can state with 85 % surety can Paddy has a much smaller pool of players to choose from because of restrictions about dealing with players from the DR. Every year it's the same . Sox will sign plenty of Venezuelans and Cubans but the place that's had the most talented players consistently for 50 years is the DR and the Sox only swim in the DR kiddie pool.

Yeah, it's a shame no one has really probed this line of questioning yet.

Why do the Sox refuse to do deals with younger Latin kids?

Why do the Sox have remaining cap space left over annually in Latin America?  Is this because of the refusal to make offers to younger kids, or are they intentionally trying to save space for the older Cuban kids?

These two questions would tell us everything we know about how much of the problem Marco Paddy actually is.  If it is an upper management policy to not talk to the 13-14 year olds, the Sox are already starting out behind, and it doesn't matter who takes this job over, it won't change the results.  If there aren't any actual restrictions on who the Sox negotiate with an offer, the problem is obvious Paddy.  So which one is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

It's obvious that the players are playing with renewed energy and the games have been "watchable."  I believe Sizemore has creditability with the players and that goes a long way.

They had the first game against the Cubs that was interesting and then the 12-2 winner against the Yankees, otherwise its been the same ol s%*# of no offense at all and the bullpen imploding.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, it's a shame no one has really probed this line of questioning yet.

Why do the Sox refuse to do deals with younger Latin kids?

Why do the Sox have remaining cap space left over annually in Latin America?  Is this because of the refusal to make offers to younger kids, or are they intentionally trying to save space for the older Cuban kids?

These two questions would tell us everything we know about how much of the problem Marco Paddy actually is.  If it is an upper management policy to not talk to the 13-14 year olds, the Sox are already starting out behind, and it doesn't matter who takes this job over, it won't change the results.  If there aren't any actual restrictions on who the Sox negotiate with an offer, the problem is obvious Paddy.  So which one is it?

Paddy was actually good for the Sox with getting Robert , Abreu and Tatis, Jr. but in the case of Tatis, Jr. it's been said that Tatis, Sr. for some reason pursued the Sox  which paved the way for Tatis ,Jr. signing with them.

Jim Margulus had a good article when the Athletic interviewed Dave Wilder. While you do have to take what Wilder says with some grain of salt. He did make some points that alluded to how JR runs things his way.

Wilder: [Reinsdorf] sat in on everything. And if he didn’t, every meeting they’d take notes and give it to Jerry. Minor league coaches, every Latin or Black coach I wanted to bring in, Jerry would — if they weren’t from the White Sox — usually not be interested. In any business you have, if you have someone who has been successful, I want their ideas. He never asked for ideas. He never said, ‘Dave, you were with Atlanta, what were they doing?’ He was too smart. Nothing has changed.

It was Rick and Kenny to some extent, they don’t have the ability to put together a team the proper way. But the only way they had was the “White Sox Way.” They used to talk about that (White Sox Way) all the time.

We had the owner who doesn’t know s— about baseball telling guys what to do. So the right guys got fired, but if I’m the owner of the team and it’s dysfunctional, it comes down on me.

https://soxmachine.com/2023/09/following-up-david-wilder-takes-shots-at-white-sox/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

After the Renteria to TLR to Grifol turn of events, I have to say I have come to the conclusion this is 100% the top consideration. Like many others, I was critical of Renteria for his in game decisions, but let’s face it, manager’s tactics come down to a lot of luck anyway. In retrospect, I’ll take the questionable moves every day of the week if you have a manager maintaining a cohesive team with a winning mentality. Like Berra said, 90% of baseball is half mental. Give me the psychological therapist. Half these ball players are nuts anyway

• Like 2

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

24 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

After the Renteria to TLR to Grifol turn of events, I have to say I have come to the conclusion this is 100% the top consideration. Like many others, I was critical of Renteria for his in game decisions, but let’s face it, manager’s tactics come down to a lot of luck anyway. In retrospect, I’ll take the questionable moves every day of the week if you have a manager maintaining a cohesive team with a winning mentality. Like Berra said, 90% of baseball is half mental. Give me the psychological therapist. Half these ball players are nuts anyway

Yeah, it’s almost like we have a Ricky again, in a good way.

29 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Like at this point I wish they kept Hahn. At least he knew how to identify minor league talent. If they failed, they failed at the MLB level and his guys more disappointed than outright failed. 

#TeamKenny

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Like at this point I wish they kept Hahn. At least he knew how to identify minor league talent. If they failed, they failed at the MLB level and his guys more disappointed than outright failed. 

Agreed.  While Hahn sucked just as much at free agency and dumpster diving just like Getz, he seemed to be better at recognizing talent and trading away players than Getz so far.

Whether it was Hahn or Kenny, who knows?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

he seemed to be better at recognizing talent and trading away players than Getz so far.

Like recognizing Moncada talent and trading away Burger -- who has been the best player in baseball after the All Star break?

Like that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Given the alternative, yes.

26 minutes ago, Illinibat said:

Like recognizing Moncada talent and trading away Burger -- who has been the best player in baseball after the All Star break?

Like that?

Moncada DID have talent.  He put up a 5.2 bWAR in 2019 and a 4.0 bWAR in 2021.  What has happened to him since then (injuries and laziness?) is sad and pathetic.

Also, the rumor is that Kenny made the Burger trade, not Hahn, because of his relationship with the Marlins former GM Kim Ng.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Moncada DID have talent.  5.2 bWAR in 2019 and 4.0 bWAR in 2021.  What has happened to him since (injuries and laziness?) is sad and pathetic.

Also, the rumor is that Kenny made the Burger trade, not Hahn, because of his relationship with the Marlins GM Kim Ng.

Hahn knew how to hold a fire sale.

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He knew how to pull out a Top 10 or Top 100 list…but Cease Robert (not a trade) remain his main claims to fame.  Giolito and Reynaldo…the latter not so much with the Sox.

Moncada Jimenez Kopech and now Robert have been so disappointing it negated all the positives.  Anderson yet another.

Just look at all the ex Sox players littered around baseball.  You could have 1-2 All Star teams while the White Sox legitimately have just one currently fading star in Crochet, period.

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He knew how to pull out a Top 10 or Top 100 list…but Cease Robert (not a trade) remain his main claims to fame.  Giolito and Reynaldo…the latter not so much with the Sox.

Moncada Jimenez Kopech and now Robert have been so disappointing it negated all the positives.  Anderson yet another.

Just look at all the ex Sox players littered around baseball.  You could have 1-2 All Star teams while the White Sox legitimately have just one currently fading star in Crochet, period.

Moncada, Robert and Jimenez were more disappointments than failures. 

Giolito was good when he had spider tack. Anderson had a few good years. 

Cease was good. 

Kopech was the one guy that completely failed. 

8 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Moncada, Robert and Jimenez were more disappointments than failures. 

Giolito was good when he had spider tack. Anderson had a few good years. 

Cease was good. 

Kopech was the one guy that completely failed. 

Can you think of a more disappointing #1 overall prospect in the game since Brien Taylor?