MLB considering 6IP minimum for starters

25 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No more tablets.  No more starting pitchers and catchers researching the lineup they are facing.  No more hitters researching the pitchers they are facing.

aNaLyTiCs BaD.  mE aNgRy!!!

One day, the Sox will upgrade to Windows 2000 and half their scouts will lose jobs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

For the first 2 batters (or until the inning ends), the "early pitching change" team must play defense with the sprinklers turned on full blast.

If in a domed stadium, then the fire suppression sprinkler system will be activated above the playing field.

This is idiotic. Teams have found non-traditional tactics to win games, and the league’s response is to say, “No, there’s only one right way to win a baseball game.” Sports should welcome a diversity of skills and strategies, imho.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

This is idiotic. Teams have found non-traditional tactics to win games, and the league’s response is to say, “No, there’s only one right way to win a baseball game.” Sports should welcome a diversity of skills and strategies, imho.

I just don't know how you'd enforce it. If a guy is struggling you just say he had an injury. And the league is going to have an injury gestapo to double check? What are we doing?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I just don't know how you'd enforce it. If a guy is struggling you just say he had an injury. And the league is going to have an injury gestapo to double check? What are we doing?

He would be required to go on to the IL.

• Like 2

There is a provision if they use the injury excuse that pitcher must spend time on the IR

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

They are considering this to increase offense. Instead, why don’t they just impose a 90 mph speed limit? Throw harder than that, you get a ticket..

Apparently changing the baseballs without telling people wasn't enough. Now it's more explicit. Like f*** off. The game as always ebbed and flowed. I've said it before the easiest thing to do would be to lower the mound. Try it out in the minors and see what happens. It's a very elegant solution that fits with the history of field changes and doesn't touch the major 3rd rails that other options potentially would.

• Haha 1

When I first read about the potential rule, I thought WTF?  But now that I see the exceptions, I think it's a decent proposal.  It seems to me, though, that this may come into play more early in the season and late in the season.  Guys like Crochet would have to be shut down, sent to AAA, or relegated to the bullpen.  It's not uncommon for teams to manage innings for pitchers coming back from injury or to save their arms for the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg would absolutely love this, maybe push it to 7.  Anti Rays Rule.

This is a start and it makes sense to me.

So all of you folks who think greg is so baseball dumb! ... I've said for a few years now it is disgraceful that the starting pitcher position now is set up in which there will be NO future Hall of Famers, no compelling pitcher outings/stories. Yanking them before going through a lineup a third time, or yanking them after 4-5 innings to me constitutes one of the major reasons baseball has self imploded. Again, you are taking away discussion of what used to be COMPELLING. The starter going 9 or even 10 innings where applicable. The starter's won/loss record being CRUCIAL in discussing a pitcher's success and ultimately his Hall of Fame consideration. 300 wins has long been the standard for automatic Hall inclusion. Now the W/L record means ZERO.

Baseball has been very smart to have the pitch clock. Baseball has been dumb to have the new extra innings rule. Baseball has been dumb in deciding it's home run derby. A hitter should strike out or walk with nothing in between. The shift? Disgraceful that players refuse to bunt when even a good Little League coach would order his players to bunt to beat a stupid shift. 

Folks, give me my due. I am the average fan and starting pitching now means nothing. There are no future Hall of Famers taking the mound under the current system. How about cutting pitchers' workload in Little League, Babe Ruth, American Legion, high school, college. Starters in MLB should throw 120 pitches in that area and go 7 full or 7 1/3 or 7 2/3.

-- and for all the new age stat lovers. You tell me how it's healthy for baseball to have wiped off the map the importance of starting pitcher!? When a guy's only going four or five innings he ain't making no Halls of Fame! Bob Gibson, Fergie Jenkins, Joel Horlen, Gary Peters, Nolan Ryan, Steve Stone, LaMarr Hoyt, real starting pitchers now rendered as nothings. Oh sorry, strike out totals are so important now. A good starter will have a minimum of eight in 4-5 innings. Boring baby! Bring back the starting pitcher.

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

I take it this is the “double hook” rule? So if it’s fewer than 6, you lose the DH? I like it. Train starters in the minors to go longer. It shouldn’t be a big deal if a starter goes 100-110 pitches every five days. And god forbid a guy has a no hitter and pushes to a 125 to create a memory once in a while. Do it. 

This might be the worst idea I've ever heard.

Imagine a rookie making his MLB debut and getting lit up and just having to take it up the ass for 6 innings because Manfred refuses to stop f*cking with the baseballs and has zero concern for the health of the pitchers in his league.  Imagine being a paying fan at a game having to watch that bullsh!t. 

Excuse the blue language, I might hate Manfred as much as JR and this idea is anti-competitive and angers me to my core. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Make baseball stupid again.

while i disagree analytics shouldn’t be involved in the game, it has its uses, his point is valid. This rule is only needed due to the way analytics has changed the game.

2 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

This might be the worst idea I've ever heard.

Imagine a rookie making his MLB debut and getting lit up and just having to take it up the ass for 6 innings because Manfred refuses to stop f*cking with the baseballs and has zero concern for the health of the pitchers in his league.  Imagine being a paying fan at a game having to watch that bullsh!t. 

Excuse the blue language, I might hate Manfred as much as JR and this idea is anti-competitive and angers me to my core. 

If he's "taking it up the ass", he probably has given up the more than 4 or more earned runs needed to be taken out.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If he's "taking it up the ass", he probably has given up the more than 4 or more earned runs needed to be taken out.

Yeah that would limited it, but I still hate it.  Forcing a manager to sit on his hands until after the implosion occurs.  The beauty of baseball is/was there was no clock, the defense holds the ball, hitting is hard, strategy matters, amongst many other things.  This is just forcing more offense into the league in a most egregious and ham handed way, there's got to be a more subtle solution.  

29 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

When I first read about the potential rule, I thought WTF?  But now that I see the exceptions, I think it's a decent proposal.  It seems to me, though, that this may come into play more early in the season and late in the season.  Guys like Crochet would have to be shut down, sent to AAA, or relegated to the bullpen.  It's not uncommon for teams to manage innings for pitchers coming back from injury or to save their arms for the playoffs.

telling teams how they can and can't use their pitchers without being punished is insane. this is an order of magnitude more disruptive than anything they've changed in the last few years. it is a complete non starter (pun intended). 

• Like 2

telling teams how they can and can't use their pitchers without being punished is insane. this is an order of magnitude more disruptive than anything they've changed in the last few years. it is a complete non starter (pun intended). 

I honestly was trying to think of a rule around sports that was similar, but I cannot think of one.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is a start and it makes sense to me.

So all of you folks who think greg is so baseball dumb! ... I've said for a few years now it is disgraceful that the starting pitcher position now is set up in which there will be NO future Hall of Famers, no compelling pitcher outings/stories. Yanking them before going through a lineup a third time, or yanking them after 4-5 innings to me constitutes one of the major reasons baseball has self imploded. Again, you are taking away discussion of what used to be COMPELLING. The starter going 9 or even 10 innings where applicable. The starter's won/loss record being CRUCIAL in discussing a pitcher's success and ultimately his Hall of Fame consideration. 300 wins has long been the standard for automatic Hall inclusion. Now the W/L record means ZERO.

Baseball has been very smart to have the pitch clock. Baseball has been dumb to have the new extra innings rule. Baseball has been dumb in deciding it's home run derby. A hitter should strike out or walk with nothing in between. The shift? Disgraceful that players refuse to bunt when even a good Little League coach would order his players to bunt to beat a stupid shift. 

Folks, give me my due. I am the average fan and starting pitching now means nothing. There are no future Hall of Famers taking the mound under the current system. How about cutting pitchers' workload in Little League, Babe Ruth, American Legion, high school, college. Starters in MLB should throw 120 pitches in that area and go 7 full or 7 1/3 or 7 2/3.

-- and for all the new age stat lovers. You tell me how it's healthy for baseball to have wiped off the map the importance of starting pitcher!? When a guy's only going four or five innings he ain't making no Halls of Fame! Bob Gibson, Fergie Jenkins, Joel Horlen, Gary Peters, Nolan Ryan, Steve Stone, LaMarr Hoyt, real starting pitchers now rendered as nothings. Oh sorry, strike out totals are so important now. A good starter will have a minimum of eight in 4-5 innings. Boring baby! Bring back the starting pitcher.

You keep saying this, and it keeps being wrong. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

while i disagree analytics shouldn’t be involved in the game, it has its uses, his point is valid. This rule is only needed due to the way analytics has changed the game.

I disagree.  Analytics can provide a team and it’s players with the statistics, best probability, etc., but players still have to successfully employ the strategy that the analytics are telling them and the opposition of course has the ability to counter.

Humans are not robots.  If the analytics say to pound a guy low and inside with sliders, the pitcher still has to hit his spots and the batter can lay off of those pitches and draw a walk, or the batter can hit a mistake pitch out of the park.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2