Beckham hints Pedro too overbearing

Gordon Beckham making it sound like Pedro was grinding too hard on the guys. He's talking about how sometimes less is more, you don't need to be there at noon every day etc, really making it sound like Grady is going easier on the team, and not harder, almost like Pedro was overdoing things.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Gordon Beckham making it sound like Pedro was grinding too hard on the guys. He's talking about how sometimes less is more, you don't need to be there at noon every day etc, really making it sound like Grady is going easier on the team, and not harder, almost like Pedro was overdoing things.

I mean it makes perfect sense.

Like when Pedro said he "wouldn't watch the eclipse because there are more important things to be doing". Stop being a tryhard, you aren't losing any edge by spending 5 mins of your 8+ hour day at the park enjoying something. 

Edited by DoUEvenShift
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I mean it makes perfect sense.

Like when Pedro said he "wouldn't watch the eclipse because there are more important things to be doing". Stop being a tryhard, you aren't losing any edge by spending 5 mins of your 8+ hour day at the park enjoying something. 

There was definitely a camp that seemed to think that out guys weren't putting in work and were just lazy.  It was interesting to hear the problem might have been burnout. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

There was definitely a camp that seemed to think that out guys weren't putting in work and were just lazy.  It was interesting to hear the problem might have been burnout. 

Burnout or tuneout

• Like 1

That’s completely old school baseball…having to be around the park all day long.

Thought that ended with Joe Maddon, lol.

Skip Schumaker comes from that same old TLR coaching tree with McEwing.

Grady seems more like Baldelli or Gabe or even Gordon himself.

basically too controlling, micromanaging, the opposite of Renteria as player’s manager…somehow best friends with Eduardo Perez, but I always felt Eduardo had a much better sense of humor and knew how to make fun of himself and blend in seamlessly 

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Shockingly, Moncada just decided not to be around him the entire season and simply collect his $29 million.

on second thought, without Grandal around any longer, totally predictable

Edited by caulfield12

On one hand Sox fans think their players are lazy and only care about image (Moncada, Eloy, Robert), and then it's the manager's fault for being too hard on them. I think there's a certain part of the fan base who just masturbates to anything negative because they think it makes them edgy. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1

I don't know about the players are being lazy, the exception is if you hear they are not putting in the work at rehab with the trainers.

Hiring Pedro was a mistake from the get-go and it proved out in the end. Seeing Grady at the helm I believe that he has the players best interest at heart and they are buying in. 

What would Grady have to do for you guys to say he should be the manager next year?  

I think if he can go 17-23 the rest of the way and players seem engaged and relaxed I feel he could be given chance. That's just me tho

6 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

What would Grady have to do for you guys to say he should be the manager next year?  

I think if he can go 17-23 the rest of the way and players seem engaged and relaxed I feel he could be given chance. That's just me tho

I would be happy if they could win one game a series which I believe would give them 43 wins and avoid being the worst team in the modern era.    
That’s pretty bad that things are so lousy that I’d be happy with 43 wins but it is what it is.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 2
  • Paper Bag 1

9 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

On one hand Sox fans think their players are lazy and only care about image (Moncada, Eloy, Robert), and then it's the manager's fault for being too hard on them. I think there's a certain part of the fan base who just masturbates to anything negative because they think it makes them edgy. 

Edgy? Lol

Anyway, I think there’s a lot more nuance to it. For instance, both of your above examples can be true. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Edgy? Lol

Anyway, I think there’s a lot more nuance to it. For instance, both of your above examples can be true. 

Or.

In a market where local sports media is more worried about access over anything resembling investigative reporting, some sort of a minimal look at the view from the locker room could be interesting to some in a season where we haven't gotten much behind the scenes as to why and what players might be thinking.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Bottom line is Grifol was a horrible manager of a horrible baseball team put together by a horrible GM who answers to a horrible owner.

Unqualified manager that was hired by an unqualified GM that put together one of the worst rosters ever 

• Like 1

Grady sending Robert to steal second while down by three runs late in the game was foolish and Beckham noted that. Not sure if Sizemore is an effective baseball strategist but whatever, the franchise, as it is, lacks sufficient major league talent at all levels to field a competitive major league team. When  Colson Montgomery, the Sox no. 1 prospect, is floundering in the Minors, one wonders how many years it will take to build a competitive roster.  Sox Ownership and Management have damaged the franchise irrevocably and cast aside generations of fans who have grown sick and tired of supporting them.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2024 at 11:57 PM, TaylorStSox said:

Sorry we don’t give this lousy organization the benefit of the doubt it so much deserves.

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2024 at 8:07 AM, JoshPR said:

I think if Grady has anything even resembling success the rest of this year he should use that to try and find a job elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, supernuke said:

I think if Grady has anything even resembling success the rest of this year he should use that to try and find a job elsewhere.

That would definitely be the best move for his career.  Just look at the past 10+ years of Sox managers.  The Sox are their last stop in the MLB.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That would definitely be the best move for his career.  Just look at the past 10+ years of Sox managers.  The Sox are their last stop in the MLB.

Not to mention Hahn, KW, Jeremy Haber, Hostetler (unless he was taken back in by the Braves)...Barfield not off to the greatest start with Fletcher, but he's already seemingly the heir-apparent to Getz.

Not sure exactly what connection Dayton Moore has at this exact moment, believe it's fairly minimal. TLR's footprint is obviously much stronger.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not to mention Hahn, KW, Jeremy Haber, Hostetler (unless he was taken back in by the Braves)...Barfield not off to the greatest start with Fletcher, but he's already seemingly the heir-apparent to Getz.

Not sure exactly what connection Dayton Moore has at this exact moment, believe it's fairly minimal. TLR's footprint is obviously much stronger.

Dayton Moore works for the Texas Rangers.