White Sox MLBs 1st eliminated team

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Lip, a lot of fans on here and many who have probably lost interest in the team and left, get energized by trades and rebuilding talk. Can you imagine if they didn't change the draft rules how many people would embrace the tank? Tanking/rebuilding just drains me of all energy. Get a real GM like Dombroski in here and a real manager like Leyland and with the benefits of playing in Chicago we'd have won multi titles without tanking! I'm just trying to point out in this division it is utterly incomprehensible the Sox can't compete with the small market teams in our division. It's just insanity.

I think the sad fact is that the Sox can’t (won’t) win spending money and they can’t win by rebuilding.  It will probably just be years of mediocrity until they get lucky like 2005 and everything clicks.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Lip, a lot of fans on here and many who have probably lost interest in the team and left, get energized by trades and rebuilding talk. Can you imagine if they didn't change the draft rules how many people would embrace the tank? Tanking/rebuilding just drains me of all energy. Get a real GM like Dombroski in here and a real manager like Leyland and with the benefits of playing in Chicago we'd have won multi titles without tanking! I'm just trying to point out in this division it is utterly incomprehensible the Sox can't compete with the small market teams in our division. It's just insanity.

Greg, they’re not rebuilding because the fans want them to. They’re doing it because the situation is so fucked up that rebuilding is the only way out other than spending a fucking ton of money. And most fans know that this ownership isn’t going to spend a fucking ton of money, so the only option is to hope they get lucky in rebuilding. Unfortunately, they screw everything up, so they’re likely do screw up the rebuild. It’s basically a no-win situation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Greg, they’re not rebuilding because the fans want them to. They’re doing it because the situation is so fucked up that rebuilding is the only way out other than spending a fucking ton of money. And most fans know that this ownership isn’t going to spend a fucking ton of money, so the only option is to hope they get lucky in rebuilding. Unfortunately, they screw everything up, so they’re likely do screw up the rebuild. It’s basically a no-win situation.

He honestly either doesn't care or doesn't want to care. This shtick has been going on forever.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I totally agree and you can blame the ossified owner for it. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He honestly either doesn't care or doesn't want to care. This shtick has been going on forever.

It's not been going on forever cause the Sox haven't been bad each and every year of this board's existence. I was as positive a poster as there was when the Sox were actually in contention which the Sox were for many years of this board's existence. Now they are buried.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's not been going on forever cause the Sox haven't been bad each and every year of this board's existence. I was as positive a poster as there was when the Sox were actually in contention which the Sox were for many years of this board's existence. Now they are buried.

Basically, since winning the division in 2008, this team hasn't done anything. The 2010s was the first decade since the 1970s when the team didn't go to the playoffs at least once. It looked like the team was on autopilot as the losing seasons kept adding up. "Buried" is a good way of putting it. Look for another 100-loss year in 2025. 20 years since the World Series.  The decades just fly by when you're losing. 

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Your schtick of misunderstanding the situation purposefully has been going on since the dawn of this board, good team or bad.  This board has patiently explained rebuilding to you many different ways and you keep your blinders on and act like you don’t hear it.  It’s fine nobody cares anymore 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Your schtick of misunderstanding the situation purposefully has been going on since the dawn of this board, good team or bad.  This board has patiently explained rebuilding to you many different ways and you keep your blinders on and act like you don’t hear it.  It’s fine nobody cares anymore 

There it is.

Just now, ScootsMcGoots said:

My attention has shifted to almost exclusively be focusing on the Bears in the sports world. Y'all should try it, it's a lot of fun.

For me?  High school football.  We are now officially in Week 1.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ScootsMcGoots said:

My attention has shifted to almost exclusively be focusing on the Bears in the sports world. Y'all should try it, it's a lot of fun.

Buddy as soon as it’s real games, the white Sox will disappear lol

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

Since the start of the 2007 season the Sox have had 12 losing years, five winning ones and one season where they were exactly at the .500 mark. 

That's among the worst records in MLB during this time period. 

On 8/18/2024 at 5:48 AM, The Mighty Mite said:

Anyone’s guess when the Sox will be competitive again. 

What your definition of competitive ?

I think they could put together a pretty good group of young starting pitchers between Cannon, Bush, Thorpe, Schultz, Smith, Martin, Iriarte, Mason Adams and Grant Taylor. That's 10 guys who could form a decent starting pitching and BP core.

There of course will be injuries and disappointments like with any groups of prospects but If I squint I can see .500 in 2 or 3 years just because good pitching can get you there faster.

The Sox can't hit, field or relief pitch . That worst in history record could still have been around 100 losses instead of 120 with just a tiny bit more hitting and less late innings disasters.

The thing is though it'll take a miracle because there aren't a lot of sharp tools in the shed and JR makes sure of that because he'd rather win his way than just risk financial ruin for his heirs now .

17 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

This board can't explain rebuilding. Cause they won't explain to me how a team like the Chicago White Sox can do so poorly in a division full of small market/no money teams. Having to resort to the double tank is appalling and offensive and repulsive.

Edited by greg775

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This board can't explain rebuilding. Cause they won't explain to me how a team like the Chicago White Sox can do so poorly in a division full of small market/no money teams. Having to resort to the double tank is appalling and offensive and repulsive.

You know the answer to this.  The Sox have one of the worst owners in the MLB (probably THE worst), who won’t spend much money in free agency (largest contract is 5/$75M), and who promotes all of his most loyal and trusted employees to positions that they are not qualified for.  He also won’t spend much money in the international market and pays more people to sell tickets than to perform scouting.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Greg: That last comment in italics is insulting.

You know the answer as well as I do and I've been saying it for years as well as many others.

You want to know why this franchise is total s%*#?

Two words: Jerry Reinsdorf

Period. Full stop. End of story.

Is that clear enough for you? That isn't double talk is it? Seems clear as a bell to me.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Greg: That last comment in italics is insulting.

You know the answer as well as I do and I've been saying it for years as well as many others.

You want to know why this franchise is total s%*#?

Two words: Jerry Reinsdorf

Period. Full stop. End of story.

Is that clear enough for you? That isn't double talk is it? Seems clear as a bell to me.

Sorry Lip. I wrote double tank not talk. I know u don't double talk and I recognize you are 50 times smarter about MLB than me and smarter about the Sox than me. I get very frustrated being out of the race in April and again next April. I accept JR and the partners are the problem but it frustrates me similarly cheap teams like KCR, Det, Minnie, Cleveland win with similar budgets and smaller cities. I respect you Lip and realize your knowledge is much greater than mine.

Edited by greg775

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sorry Lip. I wrote double tank not talk. I know u don't double talk and I recognize you are 50 times smarter about MLB than me and smarter about the Sox than me. I get very frustrated being out of the race in April and again next April. I accept JR and the partners are the problem but it frustrates me similarly cheap teams like KCR, Det, Minnie, Cleveland win with similar budgets and smaller cities. I respect you Lip and realize your knowledge is much greater than mine.

The problem is that those teams likely allocate their money better. They probably invest in things like their minor leagues, analytics, and the international market. The Sox usually just have a higher payroll, but they spend that payroll on C-level talent in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle.

Most fans would prefer to either spend more freely or to invest in the above areas, but it’s not our call.

• Like 2