Sox vs Astros 8/18/24 GDT

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

Let’s be honest, Pedro was the worst manager in baseball history.  

It's hard to argue otherwise,  that I am not sure how many games even a Tito Francona wins with this dumpster fire of a roster.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Of all of Getz’s lineup acquisitions, who is the worst?

Nicky Lopez

Miguel Vargas

Dominic Fletcher

Corey Julks

Vargas has 5 hits in 57 plate appearances in a Sox uniform.  ?

Vargas so far, as he gave up a big time legit trade piece for him.  Still can’t believe they basically pulled a Burger-Eder trade, but this time with a hitting coach they were about to fire.

• Thanks 3

No bats. Another series the Sox somehow win one game then drop the rest. Weird. Is this Bush guy this good? Is he a guarantee starter next year?

Luis Robert needs to go. Let him be Tatis for another team. Three more Ks for Robert. Must be nice to make a zillion dollars and all you have to do is swing for the fences every at bat. Strike out most of the time but occasionally knock one out. I will say he's a fluid center fielder but he's no Chet Lemon. Pretty bad when you'd rather have the guaranteed numbers of a Chet Lemon for a career over Robert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Of all of Getz’s lineup acquisitions, who is the worst?

Nicky Lopez

Miguel Vargas

Dominic Fletcher

Corey Julks

Vargas has 5 hits in 57 plate appearances in a Sox uniform.  ?

Hearing the Schriffen call on the Fletcher home run grab, he is clearly an outstanding player.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

No bats. Another series the Sox somehow win one game then drop the rest. Weird. Is this Bush guy this good? Is he a guarantee starter next year?

Luis Robert needs to go. Let him be Tatis for another team. Three more Ks for Robert. Must be nice to make a zillion dollars and all you have to do is swing for the fences every at bat. Strike out most of the time but occasionally knock one out. I will say he's a fluid center fielder but he's no Chet Lemon. Pretty bad when you'd rather have the guaranteed numbers of a Chet Lemon for a career over Robert.

Not many have 52 career fWAR.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The irony being they ran Chet Lemon out of Chicago for being a chronic underachiever

Actually according to both Chet, TLR and Roland Hemond, Lemon agreed to a new deal but never got around to signing the contract. In the meantime the Sox signed Carlton Fisk to a larger deal, Lemon got upset and refused to sign it, painting Roland somewhat into a corner since Lemon said he was probably going to try free agency after the 1982 season. He signed a 10-year deal with Detroit eventually. 

Chet told me when I spoke with him that he regretted some of the things he said and done at the time:

ML: You hit .302 in the strike shortened season and played your usual solid defense but on November 27, 1981 you were shipped to Detroit for Steve Kemp. The reasoning as I remember it was that the Sox wanted more balance in the lineup and Kemp was left handed. (Author’s Note: Harold Baines was basically the only power threat from the left side as opposed to having guys like Fisk, Luzinski and the newly acquired Tom Paciorek who were all right handed hitters.) Were you ever told by the Sox why they let you go?

CL: "That may have been part of it but there was another reason."

"In spring training 1981 I had verbally agreed to a five year contract that would have made me the highest paid player on the team. It was a great negotiation. Eddie Einhorn, Jerry Reinsdorf, Roland Hemond, my agent and I all sat around a table one day and worked everything out including some deferred compensation. For some reason I hadn’t gotten around to actually signing the document though. A few weeks later they signed Carlton Fisk and his numbers came out. When I saw those I told my agent “hmmmm maybe we need to renegotiate.” Everything that I did in five years, I did in Chicago and now I wasn’t going to be the highest paid player anymore? I know it was childish on my part but that’s the way I felt at the time."

"It created some problems. After a period of time I said that I’d just play my next year out (1982) and then see what happens in that off season. I guess the Sox thought that I was automatically going to go the free agent route and that wasn’t necessarily the case. However I did know that other clubs were interested, I knew that Earl Weaver of the Orioles wanted me badly."

Edited by Lip Man 1