Sox vs Astros 8/18/24 GDT

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Actually according to both Chet, TLR and Roland Hemond, Lemon agreed to a new deal but never got around to signing the contract. In the meantime the Sox signed Carlton Fisk to a larger deal, Lemon got upset and refused to sign it, painting Roland somewhat into a corner since Lemon said he was probably going to try free agency after the 1982 season. He signed a 10-year deal with Detroit eventually. 

Chet told me when I spoke with him that he regretted some of the things he said and done at the time:

ML: You hit .302 in the strike shortened season and played your usual solid defense but on November 27, 1981 you were shipped to Detroit for Steve Kemp. The reasoning as I remember it was that the Sox wanted more balance in the lineup and Kemp was left handed. (Author’s Note: Harold Baines was basically the only power threat from the left side as opposed to having guys like Fisk, Luzinski and the newly acquired Tom Paciorek who were all right handed hitters.) Were you ever told by the Sox why they let you go?

CL: "That may have been part of it but there was another reason."

"In spring training 1981 I had verbally agreed to a five year contract that would have made me the highest paid player on the team. It was a great negotiation. Eddie Einhorn, Jerry Reinsdorf, Roland Hemond, my agent and I all sat around a table one day and worked everything out including some deferred compensation. For some reason I hadn’t gotten around to actually signing the document though. A few weeks later they signed Carlton Fisk and his numbers came out. When I saw those I told my agent “hmmmm maybe we need to renegotiate.” Everything that I did in five years, I did in Chicago and now I wasn’t going to be the highest paid player anymore? I know it was childish on my part but that’s the way I felt at the time."

"It created some problems. After a period of time I said that I’d just play my next year out (1982) and then see what happens in that off season. I guess the Sox thought that I was automatically going to go the free agent route and that wasn’t necessarily the case. However I did know that other clubs were interested, I knew that Earl Weaver of the Orioles wanted me badly."

I'd take Chet over Robert in all scenarios. Robert must be a headcase with all those K's. He's too young and has too much alleged talent to whiff as much as he does.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

He had two of his best swings in a Sox jersey today 

…that’s either:

a) a positive thing
Or
b) a REALLY bad thing.

• Haha 1

Just now, greg775 said:

I'd take Chet over Robert in all scenarios. Robert must be a headcase with all those K's. He's too young and has too much alleged talent to whiff as much as he does.

Just take him away from the White Sox and we'll see what actual talent he possesses.

At this rate, Moncada coming back at 100% next spring after collecting $29 million in "free JR bucks" wouldn't even surprise me at all.

That said, I can't imagine Yoan getting anything more than $3-5 million or more likely a contract based almost 100% on incentives.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just take him away from the White Sox and we'll see what actual talent he possesses.

At this rate, Moncada coming back at 100% next spring after collecting $29 million in "free JR bucks" wouldn't even surprise me at all.

That said, I can't imagine Yoan getting anything more than $3-5 million or more likely a contract based almost 100% on incentives.

I’m sure he’ll be okay.  Dude gets $5 million just to go away and become a free agent.

59 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Weren't the 62 Mets 40-120-0?  That would be exactly a .250 winning percentage.

41-121 would be a better record by percentage points, so it has to be 40-122 to "win" the worst record ever ignominy.

I think it’s being looked at as purely the most number of losses.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Weren't the 62 Mets 40-120-0?  That would be exactly a .250 winning percentage.

41-121 would be a better record by percentage points, so it has to be 40-122 to "win" the worst record ever ignominy.

The 62 Mets were 40-120-1 officially.  

8 minutes ago, skooch said:

What's the story with regard to the one tie?

There used to be games that got rained out after 5 innings that ended in a tie, but were made up fully later on. The stats counted. That’s why some players have played 163 games in a season.

But baseball reference shows this as an 8 inning game vs. The Houston Colt 45s on September 9th.

New York Mets vs Houston Colt .45s Box Score: September 9, 1962

1962 New York Mets LogoNew York Mets

35-109

1962 Houston Colt .45s LogoHouston Colt .45s

56-87

Sunday, September 9, 1962

Start Time: 4:00 p.m. Local

Attendance: 3,630

Venue: Colt Stadium

Game Duration: 3:07

Day Game, on grass

Logos via Sports Logos.net / About logos

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 R H E

1962 New York Mets Logo New York Mets 0 2 0 0 3 1 1 0        7 10 1

1962 Houston Colt .45s Logo Houston Colt .45s 3 1 0 1 2 0 0 0.    7 10 1

Other Info

Umpires: HP - Ed Vargo, 1B - Shag Crawford, 2B - Doug Harvey, 3B - Al Barlick.
Time of Game: 3:07.
Attendance: 3,630.
Field Condition: Dry.
Start Time Weather: 90° F, Wind 18mph in from Centerfield, Cloudy, No Precipitation.

Edit:

"... the game is halted at the end of eight innings because of curfew (no inning shall start after 7 p.m. on Sunday night). When the game was called each team had seven runs, ten hits and one error. This was the final game scheduled between the two teams in Houston which means next week they will attempt to play six games in three days due to earlier postponements."

Then,  apparently,  one of the three doubleheaders was canceled and never made up. Hence 161 games including one tie.
Edited by skooch