8/20 Game Thread: White Sox vs. Giants - 8:45 CT;

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Every time I flip back to the Sox game, I see another guy swinging at pitches nowhere near the zone.

I wish we had a forum member who was a "video guy"

just do a compilation of golf swings/tennis swings/etc.  I might be getting angry enough to do it myself. 

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

The Giants have tried very hard the last two days to give the Sox a win. I’ve noticed that in a few recent series. A lot of these teams aren’t very good. We are really just that bad.

Yep, maybe 5 legit major leaguers on the entire roster.  I feel bad for Sizemore, as they’re going to obliterate the loss record.  Getz really needs to be fired for the finishing touches he put on the death of this franchise.

• Paper Bag 1

I know we've become numb to this impotent offense but honestly I can't ever recall even in the year of the pitcher (1968) the Sox having this horrific of an offense for a season.

These guys are just plain brutal. 13 runs in the last seven games. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Three hits? It's hard to get less than 5 hits in a game. Sheets and Vaughn back in the outhouse. Robert not exactly doing anything before and after that 2 homer game he had. Man we stink.

56 minutes ago, tray said:

Benni and AV 0-8 with 6-8 Ks. Put the damn bat on the ball men.

They are doing what they are supposed to in 2024. Hit a homer or whiff. Exciting product.

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Yep, maybe 5 legit major leaguers on the entire roster.  I feel bad for Sizemore, as they’re going to obliterate the loss record.  Getz really needs to be fired for the finishing touches he put on the death of this franchise.

Kind of a strange statement for a 1st year GM who endured a $55M payroll slash from a notoriously frugal , meddling, no interest in building an infrastructure, unwilling to sell so his heirs aren't hit with higher taxes upon his death, who thinks the Sox are unable to compete at their current location owner who's been doing the same s%*# for his entire tenure of 40+ years .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kind of a strange statement for a 1st year GM who endured a $55M payroll slash from a notoriously frugal , meddling, no interest in building an infrastructure, unwilling to sell so his heirs aren't hit with higher taxes upon his death, who thinks the Sox are unable to compete at their current location owner who's been doing the same s%*# for his entire tenure of 40+ years .

Is your narrative supposed to excuse Getz for his two starting lineup acquisitions in Fletcher and Vargas?  Neither player is earning much money so your narrative doesn’t really apply, and yet they were who Getz still chose to acquire.

We already know that Getz could have traded for Jake McCarthy (.829 OPS / 2.3 WAR) instead of Fletcher (.562 OPS / 0.5 WAR).  And trading a 4+ WAR starter on a cheap contract for Vargas (.583 OPS / -0.1 WAR)?  Brutal.

I understand the narrative you are stating and there is some truth to it, but it doesn’t apply to these two specific awful acquisitions made by Getz.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

if Getz isn't fired before 2025, I just won't watch or support this team next year

if they don't fire his ass, that tells me they aren't serious, it's pretty cut and dry to me

Just give up now, then. There is a less than zero chance of it happening.

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Is your narrative supposed to excuse Getz for his two starting lineup acquisitions in Fletcher and Vargas?  Neither player is earning much money so your narrative doesn’t really apply, and yet they were who Getz still chose to acquire.

We already know that Getz could have traded for Jake McCarthy (.829 OPS / 2.3 WAR) instead of Fletcher (.562 OPS / 0.5 WAR).  And trading a 4+ WAR starter on a cheap contract for Vargas (.583 OPS / -0.1 WAR)?  Brutal.

I understand the narrative you are stating and there is some truth to it, but it doesn’t apply to these two specific awful acquisitions made by Getz.

I never said Getz was any good at his job. Fire him, fine another Reinsdorf lackey takes over. You're not exactly offering any solutions.

It's telling that teams weren't offering higher ranked prospects. It's like they all decided we'll take our chances at winning a Championship with what we have already or just improving our depth.

When you're forced to operate on the fringes you're not going to hit a bunch of HRs trading for unwanted prospects while giving up your own unwanted prospects. He's just been shuffling the pieces on the checkers board. I don't think he's caused a lot of damage because he was never allowed to do much.

I thought the Fedde,Pham, Kopech trade was bad too.

I mean ok keep going on and on about the pawns I guess while the King is still on the throne. My narrative is always about the big picture.

Reinsdorf is just deflecting attention away from himself because most fans are going to do just what he thinks they will do and concentrate their ire on the players, manager and GM.

It's really amazing that as Sox fans we can't point to any part of the organization that has done anything well consistently during JRs reign.

The only thing most people point to is Bannister and a couple handfuls worth of promising pitching depth which has bumped our farm system to 3rd according to Fangraphs ,11th by MLB Pipeline .

It's going to be a long bumpy ride likes it's always been when the only thing JR has put any money into is the 25/26 man payroll without the infrastructure to create sound decision making. Now he won't even be doing that either.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I never said Getz was any good at his job. Fire him, fine another Reinsdorf lackey takes over. You're not exactly offering any solutions.

It's telling that teams weren't offering higher ranked prospects. It's like they all decided we'll take our chances at winning a Championship with what we have already or just improving our depth.

When you're forced to operate on the fringes you're not going to hit a bunch of HRs trading for unwanted prospects while giving up your own unwanted prospects. He's just been shuffling the pieces on the checkers board. I don't think he's caused a lot of damage because he was never allowed to do much.

I thought the Fedde,Pham, Kopech trade was bad too.

I mean ok keep going on and on about the pawns I guess while the King is still on the throne. My narrative is always about the big picture.

Reinsdorf is just deflecting attention away from himself because most fans are going to do just what he thinks they will do and concentrate their ire on the players, manager and GM.

It's really amazing that as Sox fans we can't point to any part of the organization that has done anything well consistently during JRs reign.

The only thing most people point to is Bannister and a couple handfuls worth of promising pitching depth which has bumped our farm system to 3rd according to Fangraphs ,11th by MLB Pipeline .

It's going to be a long bumpy ride likes it's always been when the only thing JR has put any money into is the 25/26 man payroll without the infrastructure to create sound decision making. Now he won't even be doing that either.

We have no idea what was being offered for our guys. Vargas was someone, like Jordan Walker, they seemingly targeted over prospects.

• Thanks 1