Thorpe update...

Lip Man 1

From Merkin's newsletter. Why do I have the feeling after six months of trying to rehab he'll undergo TJS like so many other Sox pitchers who tried this routine without success:

Thorpe began a throwing program this past Thursday, as he told MLB.com on Sunday in Houston. The rookie starter has been on the 15-day injured list, retroactive to Aug. 1, with a right flexor strain.  

Any decision to have TJ surgery or any surgery is and will always be between a physician and their client. 
WSox cannot force a player to have surgery, even when they might feel it is in their best interests.  They can suggest it and even request a second opinion from team doctors, but that is about how far that goes. Give the player some space to make his own decision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Any decision to have TJ surgery or any surgery is and will always be between a physician and their client. 
WSox cannot force a player to have surgery, even when they might feel it is in their best interests.  They can suggest it and even request a second opinion from team doctors, but that is about how far that goes. Give the player some space to make his own decision.

He'd be an idiot not to get TJS. He needs the extra velocity that can come from it. 

• Like 2

True Ron, but as you know, velocity was never a big part of his game and who knows if TJ surgery will make him a flame thrower. Agree though that he should probably have it sooner rather than later.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

Sad that even soft throwers need TJS ultimately. Baseball training needs an overhaul. I have no idea what's going on but I'd suspect the way our young pitchers with talent go through the different levels of baseball has to be screwed up. Curve balls thrown too early? Arm overused at LL, Babe Ruth, Legion, HS levels? something up with minor league development? Baseball needs to figure something out. There already are dozens of amazingly lousy relievers in baseball with tons of mediocre starters. Sad. Something must be done in development changes.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sad that even soft throwers need TJS ultimately. Baseball training needs an overhaul. I have no idea what's going on but I'd suspect the way our young pitchers with talent go through the different levels of baseball has to be screwed up. Curve balls thrown too early? Arm overused at LL, Babe Ruth, Legion, HS levels? something up with minor league development? Baseball needs to figure something out. There already are dozens of amazingly lousy relievers in baseball with tons of mediocre starters. Sad. Something must be done in development changes.

There are dozens of theories out there as to why pitchers are breaking down like they are.

You touch on some of them. Another being discussed is that kids are specializing at an early age (i.e. just play baseball, just play tennis et al) and they are not developing an overall muscular structure, wearing things out to soon. Trainers are suggesting let kids play all sports, different sports to gain overall strength and lateral motion and quickness. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There are dozens of theories out there as to why pitchers are breaking down like they are.

Trainers are suggesting let kids play all sports, different sports to gain overall strength and lateral motion and quickness. 

Makes sense but no way the mommies and daddies who want scholarships will allow their kids to play more than one sport. Traveling teams make me want to puke. They go to Florida and win the 10 and under World Series at Disney. World Series? LOL. There are probably 1000 World Series around the country in the summer for traveling teams to play in with mommies and daddies monitoring every step of the way. Back in the day parents stayed out of their kids business and kids were happy playing Little League at the 115th and Homan fields. Now ... travel teams baby. We'll teach your kids how to be stars if they play just one sport and we'll get em a schollie for sure if you pay the big travel team fees.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Makes sense but no way the mommies and daddies who want scholarships will allow their kids to play more than one sport. Traveling teams make me want to puke. They go to Florida and win the 10 and under World Series at Disney. World Series? LOL. There are probably 1000 World Series around the country in the summer for traveling teams to play in with mommies and daddies monitoring every step of the way. Back in the day parents stayed out of their kids business and kids were happy playing Little League at the 115th and Homan fields. Now ... travel teams baby. We'll teach your kids how to be stars if they play just one sport and we'll get em a schollie for sure if you pay the big travel team fees.

I didn't know it was that severe.

45 minutes ago, fathom said:

My boys play on very high level travel teams, and about 80 pct of their teammates play other sports.

How old?

Early specialization is a huge problem, or at least it was up through like 5 years ago when I was still paying close attention to youth sports. I know USA Hockey and the USOC are actively trying to address it.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

My boys play on very high level travel teams, and about 80 pct of their teammates play other sports.

When I was a kid it was pervasive and totally Wild West, kids were pitching every game start to finish parents were the “agents” .  Kids nowadays are playing a lot of sports, and fortunately attention has started to fall on arm health so they have done things like pitch counts for the league and stuff like that, and the overbearing parents have been called out a lot.  

it’s not nearly as bad as the Greg mommy daddy scenario

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JoeC said:

How old?

Early specialization is a huge problem, or at least it was up through like 5 years ago when I was still paying close attention to youth sports. I know USA Hockey and the USOC are actively trying to address it.

10-14 range 

36 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

When I was a kid it was pervasive and totally Wild West, kids were pitching every game start to finish parents were the “agents” .  Kids nowadays are playing a lot of sports, and fortunately attention has started to fall on arm health so they have done things like pitch counts for the league and stuff like that, and the overbearing parents have been called out a lot.  

it’s not nearly as bad as the Greg mommy daddy scenario

The biggest problem for arm health isn’t the innings, it’s the velocity training every program does now.  It’s unbelievable how hard these kids throw now at an early age.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

The biggest problem for arm health isn’t the innings, it’s the velocity training every program does now.  It’s unbelievable how hard these kids throw now at an early age.

Well if you remember, when me and you were kids curves were bad!  Only throw fastballs, curves come later.  Maybe changeups as kids but no curves.

now we are at the other side of the pendulum.  And I get it that it’s hard to “grow” a kid as an athlete and keep him both at an upward strength trajectory and safe.  People grow and develop at different rates.  We see kids in little league WS that look like seniors in Hs playing with and against kids that look younger than 10.  I just don’t see it as considerably worse than the glory years Greg is pining for.  Kids back then blew out their arms and were never heard from again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well if you remember, when me and you were kids curves were bad!  Only throw fastballs, curves come later.  Maybe changeups as kids but no curves.

now we are at the other side of the pendulum.  And I get it that it’s hard to “grow” a kid as an athlete and keep him both at an upward strength trajectory and safe.  People grow and develop at different rates.  We see kids in little league WS that look like seniors in Hs playing with and against kids that look younger than 10.  I just don’t see it as considerably worse than the glory years Greg is pining for.  Kids back then blew out their arms and were never heard from again

Lots of research out there that agrees with you that curves are less dangerous than max velocity 

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

Lots of research out there that agrees with you that curves are less dangerous than max velocity 

I don’t even know what is considered absolute correct.  I know that there are definitely coaches out there that have no skin in the game except for notoriety, and they are out there coaching kids like they are in game 7, and that stuff sucks

• Like 1