Thorpe update...

Lip Man 1

On 8/21/2024 at 4:24 PM, greg775 said:

It all drives me insane. Not sure what happened to adults the past few decades in relation to their kids. Glad you have a brain that functions in that regard. I know it's hard to imagine but when I was a kid playing 3 years of Little League and one of Babe Ruth my dad came to one game and no practices. When I played basketball at Queen of Martyrs and we played 30 or so games my parents and sibs came to zero games. They wouldn't be caught dead at one of my cross country or track events in high school. ... Not cause they hated greg. That's the way it was. Parents didn't go to games just made sure you had a plan to get to and from the games/practices. Usually they didn't even ask me if we won or lost or how I did, lol. Compare that to now ... WOW.

This is not even remotely normal, and that's not just "the way it was". There's a gaping chasm between parents living their sports dreams through their kids, and parents being completely absent from their children's sporting events... You go to their sporting events to show your support for them and that you care. Hopefully you don't have kids, if you think never attending their games is acceptable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

This is not even remotely normal, and that's not just "the way it was". There's a gaping chasm between parents living their sports dreams through their kids, and parents being completely absent from their children's sporting events... You go to their sporting events to show your support for them and that you care. Hopefully you don't have kids, if you think never attending their games is acceptable.

It was totally normal back in the day in Mt. Greenwood. Parents NEVER attended their kids games or practices and NEVER attended their kids games in grade school and high school. ... As one tiny caveat, the southside is pretty compact and yes the kid could ride his bike to most stuff and lock up the bike. I forget how we got home from our road games in grade school. Actually I think we met at the school took a van or two and they dropped us back off at school even in the dark to ride our bikes home. But I repeat NO parental involvement back in the day and our parents didn't hate us, they were just busy with life and trusted the coaches. We never had any child abuse scandals and we all turned out OK thank goodness. But when my dad came to that one game in our postseason playoff I remember being a little nervous about it. I do remember him driving me there that one day and on the ride home said, 'You kids played a good game.'

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

It was totally normal back in the day in Mt. Greenwood. Parents NEVER attended their kids games or practices and NEVER attended their kids games in grade school and high school. ... As one tiny caveat, the southside is pretty compact and yes the kid could ride his bike to most stuff and lock up the bike. I forget how we got home from our road games in grade school. Actually I think we met at the school took a van or two and they dropped us back off at school even in the dark to ride our bikes home. But I repeat NO parental involvement back in the day and our parents didn't hate us, they were just busy with life and trusted the coaches. We never had any child abuse scandals and we all turned out OK thank goodness. But when my dad came to that one game in our postseason playoff I remember being a little nervous about it. I do remember him driving me there that one day and on the ride home said, 'You kids played a good game.'

How old are you? Because growing up on the south side, that was not my experience AT ALL. What are you, 70?

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This seems relevant to where this thread went.

Well of course, those coaches don’t give a s%*# about those kids it’s all about winning that LLWS

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

That game was so much fun 

I felt bad for the last pitcher in, that lost the game.  3rd option in little league is generally not the dominant arm.  Poor kid looked nervous

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I felt bad for the last pitcher in, that lost the game.  3rd option in little league is generally not the dominant arm.  Poor kid looked nervous

It’s so much more entertaining to watch when the pitcher isn’t dominant and baseballs are getting hit all over.  That main Texas kid is going to be a big time prospect.

On 8/24/2024 at 10:12 PM, Balta1701 said:

Look its a failure as an adult but did keeping him actually hurt his arm more? Who knows.

It reminds me of the the dude who was chatting running around his caboose and ran over the woman who dropped her cell phone in Chicago. Like he wholly unprofessional but most experts said he wouldn't have been able to see her in-time to stop regardless.

My point in this guy was an idiot who has no business coaching but noone knows if his idiocy actually hurt the kid so I assume twitter is doing the responsible thing and not assuming he got him hurt. Who am I kidding.

51 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Look its a failure as an adult but did keeping him actually hurt his arm more? Who knows.

It reminds me of the the dude who was chatting running around his caboose and ran over the woman who dropped her cell phone in Chicago. Like he wholly unprofessional but most experts said he wouldn't have been able to see her in-time to stop regardless.

My point in this guy was an idiot who has no business coaching but noone knows if his idiocy actually hurt the kid so I assume twitter is doing the responsible thing and not assuming he got him hurt. Who am I kidding.

That’s a whole lot of assumptions.  The kid said his arm hurt and the guy kept him in and he got lit up and now they are reporting elbow and arm.  I’d say getting the kid out when he said his arm hurt was the most important part and everything that came after doesn’t matter anymore because he already failed.

• Thanks 2

On 8/23/2024 at 3:19 PM, Paulie4Pres said:

You're probably misinterpreting the situation. A lot of boomers came from just the father working homes with big families ,one car, 3 or 4 brothers and sisters and that was middle or younger lower middle class in Chicago. While you play sports there are 3 or 4 more kids at home that need both parents attention. You want to play sports ,fine ,your grades better not suffer , you still have chores to do because with that many kids mom's exhausted.

I know its not ideal but showing support is not easy with big families  when the sibling are usually very close  in age and you got a mortgage to pay ,backs to clothe, and got to put food on the table . Couldn't play favorites. Kids were mainly meant to be seen but not heard, old school discipline . Go to church every Sunday. Get out of the house and come back when the street lights go on. We aren't coddled in any way.If you want to do this ,fine,, it's on you to take the responsibility and know you wont won't get out of anything you are currently required to do to make this household run smoother. You will not be prioritized over your siblings. Maybe they didn't go to a lot of games but they developed your interest in sports to begin with by going to the park or out in the street and actually playing with you and your siblings whether it was playing catch with a football, baseball or a Clincher.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, RegionSox said:

Sounds like extremely lazy, uninvolved parenting.   My parents had 4 boys and still were very involved in watching us play all the time.

Yeah sure teaching us to be responsible, having to do chores to help out with everything it takes to run a household and making sure our grades didn't suffer while paying Catholic school tuitions in grammar school and HS on a 1 income household is the epitomy of lazy and uninvolved .

• Fire 1

On 8/24/2024 at 9:12 PM, Balta1701 said:

That coach is probably going to be punched out by the pitcher's dad. Sad story here but very common I'm sure. As far as parents never going to our games or practices back in the day, I thought it was great. And the above mentioned scenario described our household perfectly. Four kids close in age, only dad worked, he never came home or rarely came home, just like the person explained in this thread. None of my teammates' parents ever came to games either. I do remember however when my team made the Mt. Greenwood world series my dad came to Game One as I recall and that was it. And when my grade school played for the city title I think he might have come. But I swear parents didn't ever ask how I did at the plate or on the court. They never asked if we won or lost, etc. Same with my teammates. Nobody cared as we were parent-less which was fine with us. Looking back now you'd think they'd at least wonder if we won or lost and if their kid was doing ok or was an abject failure at sports.

Edited by greg775

22 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're probably misinterpreting the situation. A lot of boomers came from just the father working homes with big families ,one car, 3 or 4 brothers and sisters and that was middle or younger lower middle class in Chicago. While you play sports there are 3 or 4 more kids at home that need both parents attention. You want to play sports ,fine ,your grades better not suffer , you still have chores to do because with that many kids mom's exhausted.

I know its not ideal but showing support is not easy with big families  when the sibling are usually very close  in age and you got a mortgage to pay ,backs to clothe, and got to put food on the table . Couldn't play favorites. Kids were mainly meant to be seen but not heard, old school discipline . Go to church every Sunday. Get out of the house and come back when the street lights go on. We aren't coddled in any way.If you want to do this ,fine,, it's on you to take the responsibility and know you wont won't get out of anything you are currently required to do to make this household run smoother. You will not be prioritized over your siblings. Maybe they didn't go to a lot of games but they developed your interest in sports to begin with by going to the park or out in the street and actually playing with you and your siblings whether it was playing catch with a football, baseball or a Clincher.

This is just fucking lol. How about doing all of this(like a lot of parents do today, where BOTH parents are typically working full time?), and also supporting your kids at sports? Weird how parents who have less time/money than any parents at any points in the past (thanks Boomers) can manage to do it, isn't it?

9 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

This is just fucking lol. How about doing all of this(like a lot of parents do today, where BOTH parents are typically working full time?), and also supporting your kids at sports? Weird how parents who have less time/money than any parents at any points in the past (thanks Boomers) can manage to do it, isn't it?

You're an empath aren't you ?

• Like 1

Well, Generation X is more like Greg's typical experience, but I was also a spoiled only child (mother stayed home and then she just worked part-time at a cafeteria, Hardee's, etc.) and my father always got home around 3:30-3:45 as he had a carpool to work at the Rock Island Arsenal at 6:00 a.m. and came back earlier than most dads.

Never missed a single sporting event in my life, except things like cross country that were right after school...and he even made it to the end of the meet when they were close and not "away" meets.

Both parents always (run, _________, run!!!!, my mom) came to Little League through elementary and middle school (soccer/basketball)...then in high school until I got a girlfriend that I dated 3-4 years and eventually decided I'd rather be with her than play, haha.  We had actually met in a Catholic church's gym when I hit her with a spike accidentally and asked if he she was okay.

No we don't blame my parents' generation (born in 1929 and 1936) for all of the problems of the modern world...or the "Greatest Generation" that fought and survived WWII and Korea.

On 8/26/2024 at 8:55 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yeah sure teaching us to be responsible, having to do chores to help out with everything it takes to run a household and making sure our grades didn't suffer while paying Catholic school tuitions in grammar school and HS on a 1 income household is the epitomy of lazy and uninvolved .

It's almost like u lived in my house CaliSoxFan. Everything u say was my childhood. crazy. Don't forget we had a dog, too, til the parents sent poor Spot "to the farm where he can lead a better life" for running amok too much.

Edited by greg775

10 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Well it was the boomers' parents who decided to raise their kids this way. And so they did. What's the name for boomers' parents generation? That generation really liked to drink, too. My dad got pulled over a lot and never got called into court (connections on the south side).

Edited by greg775

44 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, Generation X is more like Greg's typical experience, but I was also a spoiled only child (mother stayed home and then she just worked part-time at a cafeteria, Hardee's, etc.) and my father always got home around 3:30-3:45 as he had a carpool to work at the Rock Island Arsenal at 6:00 a.m. and came back earlier than most dads.

Never missed a single sporting event in my life, except things like cross country that were right after school...and he even made it to the end of the meet when they were close and not "away" meets.

Both parents always (run, _________, run!!!!, my mom) came to Little League through elementary and middle school (soccer/basketball)...then in high school until I got a girlfriend that I dated 3-4 years and eventually decided I'd rather be with her than play, haha.  We had actually met in a Catholic church's gym when I hit her with a spike accidentally and asked if he she was okay.

No we don't blame my parents' generation (born in 1929 and 1936) for all of the problems of the modern world...or the "Greatest Generation" that fought and survived WWII and Korea.

Two things: Caulfield, geez, how could you give up sports for a girl? At that age? I'd have killed (not really killed) to continue on in sports and not get cut (back then there were too many kids; above average talent got cut regularly). I had to run track and cross country in h.s. cause I got cut from baseball and basketball at Br. Rice which had over 2000 boys I think compared to 500ish now. Cross country was not fun ... case closed.