Keys to the White Sox future with Paul Janish...

Lip Man 1

On 8/22/2024 at 11:51 AM, Texsox said:

And what happens when we have to pay those better players? They leave. My point is taking money from one area to fix the other just digs another hole. 

Oh, God forbid the Sox have a legitimately good minor league system that can actually develop their own good position players that give the Sox 6 years of control before they hit free agency.  Seems like a better plan than quickly extending busts like Eloy and Moncada from other teams, while also wasting $25 to $30 million each offseason on cheap dumpster diving.

It’s amazing to me that you have apparently watched this team for years and don’t see a problem with the way they do business, and don’t think a change of strategy might be worthwhile.  Their current strategy hasn’t worked since 2005, but let’s keep doing stupid things just because…

Have you heard of teams named the Rays?  The Orioles?  Would you rather be the Sox or the Rays/Orioles?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oh, God forbid the Sox have a legitimately good minor league system that can actually develop their own good position players that give the Sox 6 years of control before they hit free agency.  Seems like a better plan than quickly extending busts like Eloy and Moncada from other teams, while also wasting $25 to $30 million each offseason on cheap dumpster diving.

It’s amazing to me that you have apparently watched this team for years and don’t see a problem with the way they do business, and don’t think a change of strategy might be worthwhile.  Their current strategy hasn’t worked since 2005, but let’s keep doing stupid things just because…

Have you heard of teams named the Rays?  The Orioles?  Would you rather be the Sox or the Rays/Orioles?

When you have an owner that doesn’t pay for stars, locking up your young stars to team friendly extensions is good business. 

• Like 2

Just now, Boopa1219 said:

When you have an owner that doesn’t pay for stars, locking up your young stars to team friendly extensions is good business. 

Worked out great, didn’t it?  You have to question what happens to a young prospect/player that becomes a multi-millionaire without ever proving anything at the MLB level.

8 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Except the only one who would have helped us now is Crochet....which would be and still remains too risky for JR to countenance.

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Worked out great, didn’t it?  You have to question what happens to a young prospect/player that becomes a multi-millionaire without ever proving anything at the MLB level.

I’d say most of them worked out. Sale, Quintana, Danks, Anderson, Robert are the ones that come to mind. 

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I see a huge problem with how the do business. It's one or the other with them. I think they should do both, invest in the minor league and spend at the MLB level. 

Would you rather they be the Dodgers or the Rays?

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I see a huge problem with how the do business. It's one or the other with them. I think they should do both, invest in the minor league and spend at the MLB level. 

They won't be the Dodgers under JR. They could be the Rays or the Guardians if they could develop something. It is a far better model than the one they have used the last 30 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They won't be the Dodgers under JR. They could be the Rays or the Guardians if they could develop something. It is a far better model than the one they have used the last 30 seasons. 

It's the same model for fifty years.  Tear down one thing to fill a hole. Average is the dream. 

10 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

That always sounded great to me until I filled in the names. Which young stars in the past ten years would you have locked up? Which ones would have settled for team friendly extensions? Moncada? TA? Robert? 

A strategy that is based on picking young players to underpay on long term contracts might be an improvement. I'm not certain this front office could pull it off. 

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I mean, I guess you can question it, but I don’t think you’re going to find the answers you’re wanting to find.

Moncada was coming off a really good 2019, so it’s misleading to say he never proved anything. Sucks how it played out but the process made sense at the time for an org that doesn’t pay up for top tier free agents.

Also, Quintana, Sale, TA, Robert all seemed to have worked out.

Acuna, like Moncada, was coming off a first good season when he got his extension. Seems like he hasn’t had any issues being motivated after getting paid.

Jackson Chourio is looking like a future superstar so far.

I think your post is a pretty broad generalization and is heavy on hindsight.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

They will never be the Dodgers, unless a billionaire owner buys the team.  With Jerry as the owner, they have to pick a lane and stick with it.  In this scenario, it would be spending on their farm system to eventually churn out players like both the Rays and the Guardians, rather than futilely trying to dumpster dive each and every offseason and hoping that multiple old bum players can all have magical seasons before putting in their retirement papers.

Would you rather be the White Sox or the Rays / Guardians?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Danks' extension is the reason JR won't give out another 4/5 year deal.

If Jerry won't go longer than 3 years then the Sox going to be signing a lot of Lance Lynn types and those guys come with their own risks of falling off a cliff at any point in their mid 30s. 

• Like 1