Sirotka

Jim Fainter

I realize that on any kind of a realistic scale, Mike Sirotka doesn't rank in the top 500, but I still wonder what the deal is here. He became a free agent and signed a minor league contract with the Cubs with no guarantee, but why wouldn't he and the Sox at least look at each other. What does he have to be pissed off at? Just that we traded him for Wells? He was treated fairly by the Sox, given the necessary opportunities, etc. Why couldn't we offer him the same deal that the Cubs did? Did Marti Contrary f*** up his arm?

Did Marti Contrary f*** up his arm?

Contreras f***ed up a lot of arms. Most notably, Sirotka, Biddle, Rauch, Butter, and Wunsch just to name a few. Lou Pinella didn't call Contreras "the worst" pitching coach for nothing.

How can anyone say he screwed up Rauch's arm. Rauch was in the minors when he was hurt, far away from Nardi. But Nardi did screw up many an arm.

As far as Sirotka, the Cubs offered him a pretty good contract as he'll make good money if he makes the roster. Basically, the Sox are sitting here waiting to sign a 500k pitcher, so if they went after Sirotka, that would be the only acquisition. It stinks to say that, but its the likely scenario.

Sirotka will probably never pitch for the Sox again; and that's assuming he even pitches in the Majors again (though, with the Cubs, you never know!).

And Contreras can be blamed for a lot of arm problems (you missed Baldwin and maybe Eldred), but not Rauch, like Jason said, Jon had never tasted the MLB by the time he went down.

But didn't Rauch tear his labrum early on in 2001..... after Nardi and company "worked" with him in ST? I vaguely remember Rauch being batted around early on for the 2001 season as the 5th starter after his success in the Olympics and the arm problems that effected Eldred.

Yeah, but I highly doubt that you can develop an injury so serious that it requires a year to heal in Spring Training alone. My guess would be that he hurt himself during the Olympics, as a result of throwing more than he'd been used to, and maybe aggravated that more in Spring Training and in the early 2001 season. I think, at most, Nardi can be blamed only minorly for Rauch.

But didn't Rauch tear his labrum early on in 2001..... after Nardi and company "worked" with him in ST? I vaguely remember Rauch being batted around early on for the 2001 season as the 5th starter after his success in the Olympics and the arm problems that effected Eldred.

They used him during spring training. I think I watched him pitch that year, but if I recall the Sox were cautios with him from the get go. I'm not going to blame nardi for that, then again I hate knowing that he even touched the guy.

Sirotka doesn't like Williams.

He feels Kenny knew he was hurt when he dealt him, and Williams thinks Sirotka was a whinning b****.

I think that just about covers the prevailing mutual opinions here. :)

Neither one will be the guest speaker at the tribute gala to the other.