Getz’s Hilarious Hypocrisy

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m fine. I’m not living in fantasyland  thinking everyone in the Sox front office should be replaced except for Getz. You’re the one we should be concerned about.

You're living in a fantasy land if you think he's going to be replaced after one year, even if it wasn't Reinsdorf. Sure, he almost definitely wouldn't have been hired (and rightfully so), but in the small chance Getz was hired as the GM of a real team, he would at least have a couple years to put all of his changes into place. You can't turn around any organization in one season, much less a complete disaster like this one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

His teams were never 31-99.

Lipman ... do you agree the Sox would have SEVERAL WS titles if Dombroski never left? Why did the Sox welcome getting rid of Dombroski and not turning the roster over to him for 30 years or so? Sox have done some bizarre things over the years like letting Harry Caray walk. Yeah, yeah I realize everybody hated Harry (behind his back).

1 minute ago, almagest said:

You're living in a fantasy land if you think he's going to be replaced after one year, even if it wasn't Reinsdorf. Sure, he almost definitely wouldn't have been hired (and rightfully so), but in the small chance Getz was hired as the GM of a real team, he would at least have a couple years to put all of his changes into place. You can't turn around any organization in one season, much less a complete disaster like this one.

I know that. But any team whose goal is excellence wouldn’t have a difficult decision.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m fine. I’m not living in fantasyland  thinking everyone in the Sox front office should be replaced except for Getz. You’re the one we should be concerned about.

I'm not living in fantasyland, either. You keep imagining I'm thinking or saying things I'm not. You seem to have a beef with an idealized version of me who is claiming that Getz is doing the best job in all of baseball, and that their w-l record is actually inverted. 

If Getz turns around and trades Crochet this offseason for a package centered around Eloy, or something like that, I might start judging him poorly. He's a new GM who was left a shitshow. He's made a few mistakes, and made some good moves. There's an agenda here where a small bunch of people don't want anyone to develop the idea that Getz might actually be moving the organization in a positive direction. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I know that. But any team whose goal is excellence wouldn’t have a difficult decision.

No, we wouldn't be in this situation if we didn't have Reinsdorf, that's for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Or the lockdown  bullpen you told us Getz has assembled?

Until the Sox prove something, the bullpen should always be considered a disaster area. Except for closer (this year being the exception with a horrible closer) the Sox bullpen has been a trainwreck for years. It's like they try to acquire inefficient pitchers and pay them good $$.

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

W-L records don't matter this year, until they do. While I find it frustrating, I don't take on some deep level of humiliation that you appear to. I hope you get over it. 

You’re right, W-L records don’t matter if you’re rebuilding but Getz thought he was putting at least a .500 team on the field at the beginning of the year, how delusional was that. Just proves that the guy doesn’t have a clue especially after bringing absolutely no one of any consequence at the trading deadline.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not living in fantasyland, either. You keep imagining I'm thinking or saying things I'm not. You seem to have a beef with an idealized version of me who is claiming that Getz is doing the best job in all of baseball, and that their w-l record is actually inverted. 

If Getz turns around and trades Crochet this offseason for a package centered around Eloy, or something like that, I might start judging him poorly. He's a new GM who was left a shitshow. He's made a few mistakes, and made some good moves. There's an agenda here where a small bunch of people don't want anyone to develop the idea that Getz might actually be moving the organization in a positive direction. 

Your “agenda” talk is a sham.  The proof is in the pudding.  Getz’s two trades for guys he thought would be fixtures in the lineup in Fletcher and Vargas have been atrocious.  This isn’t some sort of conspiracy to make Getz look bad.  Getz has made himself look like a bad GM under his own accord with those two trades.  He doesn’t need help from any posters here.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

You’re right, W-L records don’t matter if you’re rebuilding but Getz thought he was putting at least a .500 team on the field at the beginning of the year, how delusional was that. Just proves that the guy doesn’t have a clue especially after bringing absolutely no one of any consequence at the trading deadline.

I remember Getz saying he didn't like this team over the winter, or at the beginning of spring training. I don't remember him declaring the White Sox would win 81 games. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

This no one expected a playoff team but…it very well may be the worst roster assembled in MLB history.  I don’t care how bad KW and Hahn left the state of the franchise, how horrible of an owner JR is…Getz has missed on almost every single move he has made so far.  The 26 man roster has approximately 3 MLB level players on it.  Korey Lee, Luis Robert, and Garrett Crochet. Even then, Lee wouldn’t get a lot of time on a true contending team.  There are zero MLB players on the field today.  Pham was the only move I can really think of that turned out ok but then he essentially gave him away for nothing.  There’s zero chance JR would actually fire Getz after one year but if there ever was a situation in which an MLB GM absolutely should be fired within 365 days on the job, this is a poor enough performance to justify it.

• Like 3
  • Fire 3

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I remember Getz saying he didn't like this team over the winter, or at the beginning of spring training. I don't remember him declaring the White Sox would win 81 games. 

Do you remember the owner telling us that they promoted Getz without any real GM search or interviews despite a horrendous track record of player development because he knew the organization and could quickly turn it around?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

This no one expected a playoff team but…it very well may be the worst roster assembled in MLB history.  I don’t care how bad KW and Hahn left the state of the franchise, how horrible of an owner JR is…Getz has missed on almost every single move he has made so far.  The 26 man roster has approximately 3 MLB level players on it.  Korey Lee, Luis Robert, and Garrett Crochet. Even then, Lee wouldn’t get a lot of time on a true contending team.  There are zero MLB players on the field today.  Pham was the only move I can really think of that turned out ok but then he essentially gave him away for nothing.  There’s zero chance JR would actually fire Getz after one year but if there ever was a situation in which an MLB GM absolutely should be fired within 365 days on the job, this is a poor enough performance to justify it.

The only teams that would keep him are the loser franchises, of which, the Sox have become.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yes, Getz said that on November 7th, 2023, prior to his mostly awful offseason acquisitions…

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/chris-getz-on-his-white-sox-i-dont-like-our-team

So he didn’t like the team and succeeded in making it even worse right after he made this statement.  🤣

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rusty said:

The hitters on this roster who were here last year and expected to carry the offense combined for -2.4 bWAR so far.

Edited by almagest
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Your “agenda” talk is a sham.  The proof is in the pudding.  Getz’s two trades for guys he thought would be fixtures in the lineup in Fletcher and Vargas have been atrocious.  This isn’t some sort of conspiracy to make Getz look bad.  Getz has made himself look like a bad GM under his own accord with those two trades.  He doesn’t need help from any posters here.

Again, the guy who declares every move a disaster calls the Vargas and Fletcher trades ....... disasters. LOL. I'd hope you're basing this on something more than 68 plate appearances. You know, a small sample size? 

I would hope you're posting the same thing multiple times a day across multiple threads in the service of an agenda. If you honestly can't remember the previous 9 times you pronounced the current Gavin Sheets hot streak over, or that you're crying, laughing so hard at Chris Flexen not being traded, that could be a problem. 

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

I think Getz has done a crap job overall so far, but I fail to see the humor in realizing that they should go outside the org for hiring.

Of all if the things to criticize him for, this shouldn’t be one of them.

Who he hires, or who JR allows him to hire, should be of concern when dealing with the Sox level of ineptitude, be it an outside hire or not. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yes, Getz said that on November 7th, 2023, prior to his mostly awful offseason acquisitions…

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/chris-getz-on-his-white-sox-i-dont-like-our-team

So he didn’t like the team and succeeded in making it even worse right after he made this statement.  🤣

I don't see anywhere in that article where he promised a .500 team. He talked about acquiring players who could eventually be part of a winning team, and they have to make moves to try to get better. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Again, the guy who declares every move a disaster calls the Vargas and Fletcher trades ....... disasters. LOL. I'd hope you're basing this on something more than 68 plate appearances. You know, a small sample size? 

I would hope you're posting the same thing multiple times a day across multiple threads in the service of an agenda. If you honestly can't remember the previous 9 times you pronounced the current Gavin Sheets hot streak over, or that you're crying, laughing so hard at Chris Flexen not being traded, that could be a problem. 

Yes, I remember small sample sizes.  I remember earlier in the season when you tried to use a small sample size of the Sox record over 25 or so games when they went on a short hot streak to say that the team wasn’t historically bad and was better than it appeared to be.

By the way, here is Vargas’s career line in 506 plate appearances:

.186 AVG / .282 OBP / .335 SLG / .617 OPS

As far as Flexen and Sheets go, Flexen has a 5.34 ERA and Sheets has a .686 OPS.  They are both bad players like I stated.  However, we wouldn’t have to see them playing for the Sox if they were both traded at the deadline as you anticipated, since they both had “value.”

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Lipman ... do you agree the Sox would have SEVERAL WS titles if Dombroski never left? Why did the Sox welcome getting rid of Dombroski and not turning the roster over to him for 30 years or so? Sox have done some bizarre things over the years like letting Harry Caray walk. Yeah, yeah I realize everybody hated Harry (behind his back).

It's impossible to say what could have happened had Hawk not fired Dombrowski and LaRussa had remained manager for 20 years.

Simply no way to possibly tell. 

But I did ask TLR about it: 

ML: You’ll go into the Hall of Fame this August as one of the all-time winningest managers.

Have you ever wondered what may have happened if you stayed with the Sox? I know Sox fans wonder how many championships you might have won had you stayed for 20 years or so. 

TLR: “Yes, I do, but more for entertainment, I don’t take a lot of time to look back in a serious manner. I just think you have to move on from the past, learn from it and go forward. I will occasionally tease Jerry (Reinsdorf) about it, though. I honestly think had I stayed with the White Sox for 30 years that the team would have won multiple world championships. I think that because we were so united. Everyone from the owners to the front office to the coaching staff was on the same page. Our minor league system was developing and we had good people in all areas.”

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yes, I remember small sample sizes.  I remember earlier in the season when you tried to use a small sample size of the Sox record over 25 or so games when they went on a short hot streak to say that the team wasn’t historically bad and was better than it appeared to be.

By the way, here is Vargas’s career line in 506 plate appearances

.186 AVG / .282 OBP / .335 SLG / .617 OPS

As far as Flexen and Sheets go, Flexen has a 5.34 ERA and Sheets has a .686 OPS.  They are both bad players like I stated.  However, we wouldn’t have to see them playing for the Sox if they were both traded at the deadline as you anticipated, since they both had “value.”

I'm sorry, did I somehow wreck a Gavin Sheets trade by anticipating it? LOL. He's a lefty bench bat, which is what I've been calling him all year. I'm not sure why calling him a guy who has value makes you angry. 

27 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Well thankfully we have you to tell him he is wrong 10 times if he posts something 9 times.  That's way better.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

DeJong Fedde  that's it

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

He's a new GM who was left a shitshow. He's made a few mistakes, and made some good moves. There's an agenda here where a small bunch of people don't want anyone to develop the idea that Getz might actually be moving the organization in a positive direction. 

I didn't think it's a small group that's unhappy with Getz for a couple of reasons that go beyond Getz himself and not his fault.

It's just so difficult to be positive about anything with this team. Symbolically Getz embodies almost everything wrong with the franchise. Maybe not him personally, but he's another uninspired hiring from an uninspiring franchise. 

Looking for objective evidence of what he's done I find some hope in the fact that outsiders and other experts look at our minor league system and see major improvements. He's got an opportunity to make his mark with the hiring of the next manager. I believe if he is able to land a "name"guy fans with get behind him. If it's another former player, a Pedro type of coach from a losing organization, he's toast with the fans. 

• Like 1