Getz’s Hilarious Hypocrisy

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I didn't think it's a small group that's unhappy with Getz for a couple of reasons that go beyond Getz himself and not his fault.

It's just so difficult to be positive about anything with this team. Symbolically Getz embodies almost everything wrong with the franchise. Maybe not him personally, but he's another uninspired hiring from an uninspiring franchise. 

Looking for objective evidence of what he's done I find some hope in the fact that outsiders and other experts look at our minor league system and see major improvements. He's got an opportunity to make his mark with the hiring of the next manager. I believe if he is able to land a "name"guy fans with get behind him. If it's another former player, a Pedro type of coach from a losing organization, he's toast with the fans. 

Name managers won't come without a $2-3 million contract at a minimum and at least 3 if not 4/5 years guaranteed.

Seems highly unlikely anyone would actively desire to take over the worst team in baseball history.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I didn't think it's a small group that's unhappy with Getz for a couple of reasons that go beyond Getz himself and not his fault.

It's just so difficult to be positive about anything with this team. Symbolically Getz embodies almost everything wrong with the franchise. Maybe not him personally, but he's another uninspired hiring from an uninspiring franchise. 

Looking for objective evidence of what he's done I find some hope in the fact that outsiders and other experts look at our minor league system and see major improvements. He's got an opportunity to make his mark with the hiring of the next manager. I believe if he is able to land a "name"guy fans with get behind him. If it's another former player, a Pedro type of coach from a losing organization, he's toast with the fans. 

It is interesting that the Cubs who have had long periods of ineptness themselves have been able to hire good, solid acclaimed  baseball managers like Lou Piniella, "Dusty" Baker, Joe Maddon and Craig Counsell.

The White Sox????????????????????????????

The last time I heard of any 'name' 'accomplished' manager having any interest and the Sox being interested in him was Cito Gaston.

But this shouldn't really be a surprise. JR years ago went on record as saying he didn't think managers (or head coaches) mean that much to a team. So he isn't willing to pay the going rate for successful people. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

DeJong Fedde  that's it

And what did he get in return for either of them?  A 22 year old often injured Single A pitcher, a guy that doesn’t belong in MLB and is worse offensively than Martin Maldonado, and a couple of lottery tickets.

• Like 1

Heard from a source tonight who brought up some interesting comments about the upcoming off-season and what Getz may do. If they are right it sounds like a lot more turnover is coming.

Here is what they wrote for what it is worth:

"He (Getz) can’t go the KC route again. And please, no Brian Anderson in any form. Josh Barfield selected Dominic Fletcher over Jake McCarthy. That hasn’t turned out well. 

They’ve been paying a few scouts not to travel/work for as long as the last three months. I expect a lot of their pro scouts to “retire.” 

Given they don't have a lot of pro scouts to start with according to (If I remember right) Jay Cuda, they have got to replace them with qualified people. How much more can they shortchange this crucial area?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Heard from a source tonight who brought up some interesting comments about the upcoming off-season and what Getz may do. If they are right it sounds like a lot more turnover is coming.

"He (Getz) can’t go the KC route again. And please, no Brian Anderson in any form. Josh Barfield selected Dominic Fletcher over Jake McCarthy. That hasn’t turned out well. 

They’ve been paying a few scouts not to travel/work for as long as the last three months. I expect a lot of their pro scouts to “retire.” 

Given they don't have a lot of pro scouts to start with according to (If I remember right) Jay Cuda, they have got to replace them with qualified people. How much more can they shortchange this crucial area?

Bringing in Brian Anderson - an assistant coach at a local university (I'm not trying to undersell NW, but the proximity comes into play) - would be so hilarious.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rusty said:

Do you remember the owner telling us that they promoted Getz without any real GM search or interviews despite a horrendous track record of player development because he knew the organization and could quickly turn it around?

Anything that involves “the owner telling us” something is completely irrelevant, so it’s probably not something to base an argument around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Gotta love that they are paying a few of the already small number of scouts that they have to sit at home with pay for three months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Gotta love that they are paying a few of the already small number of scouts that they have to sit at home with pay for three months.

Just stupid.

I bet most of those scouts would love to do some advanced work on finding players for the potential Crochet and/or Robert trades if that work wasn't completed in June/July...trying to figure a way to turn the Titanic around if it hasn't already hit the iceberg and filled up 5/8 of the "watertight" compartments.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Just stupid.

I bet most of those scouts would love to do some advanced work on finding players for the potential Crochet and/or Robert trades if that work wasn't completed in June/July...trying to figure a way to turn the Titanic around if it hasn't already hit the iceberg and filled up 5/8 of the "watertight" compartments.

Then again there is no point having scouts if the GM or Barfield just ignore them.

9 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well this explains a lot about our trade deadline deals.  Instead of trusting actual scouts, we were trusting an assistant hitting coach who was on the chopping block just like the scouts we are paying not to work.  

You can't make this stuff up.

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Please don't give us hope.

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Which conflicts with Reinsdorf's loyalty program.

27 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Which conflicts with Reinsdorf's loyalty program.

The only thing I can think of - and I should caveat that I don't think this is the right way to do it, but I could see in the world of Jerry this making sense...was him looking at it as - if I have someone in house who knows what is wrong and I'm aligned with in that thinking, I'll let him start to make the necessary changes in time and begin making wholesale changes.

If I were to bring in an outsdier - before I let him just start with, its all broken, I would essentially force him to watch for 1-2 years to really assess it vs. just throwing everyone else out with that assumption. Hence - in JR's mind - him hiring Getz accelerated his own personal comfort in making more radical wholesale changes than if he brought in a big time front office hire (since by nature he just hand the entire keys of the kingdom over to anyone).  

Again - I'm not saying its right and there is plenty Getz has done wrong / less good this year. I don't think he has set the franchise back this season (in the sense of any horrific deals and/or just totally stupid lets go buy some talent to get ourselves away) and it seems like what he has planned at least on paper makes sense. Whether he is capable of actually leading it through and getting the right people etc - there is enough that has went wrong thus far this year to materially question it - but he is getting at least 3 years to get the arrow pointed back (especially knowing JR). Only thing accelerating that would be a change in ownership in my opinion (and / or something non baseball related).  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The only thing I can think of - and I should caveat that I don't think this is the right way to do it, but I could see in the world of Jerry this making sense...was him looking at it as - if I have someone in house who knows what is wrong and I'm aligned with in that thinking, I'll let him start to make the necessary changes in time and begin making wholesale changes.

If I were to bring in an outsdier - before I let him just start with, its all broken, I would essentially force him to watch for 1-2 years to really assess it vs. just throwing everyone else out with that assumption. Hence - in JR's mind - him hiring Getz accelerated his own personal comfort in making more radical wholesale changes than if he brought in a big time front office hire (since by nature he just hand the entire keys of the kingdom over to anyone).  

Again - I'm not saying its right and there is plenty Getz has done wrong / less good this year. I don't think he has set the franchise back this season (in the sense of any horrific deals and/or just totally stupid lets go buy some talent to get ourselves away) and it seems like what he has planned at least on paper makes sense. Whether he is capable of actually leading it through and getting the right people etc - there is enough that has went wrong thus far this year to materially question it - but he is getting at least 3 years to get the arrow pointed back (especially knowing JR). Only thing accelerating that would be a change in ownership in my opinion (and / or something non baseball related).  

Or relentless media attention on a daily basis about how awful the franchise is and JR's outsized role in that...making a new stadium a complete pipe dream.

Edited by caulfield12

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I've been hearing for years that JR doesn't like to pay people to not do anything which is why it takes him so long to let go of people, but now I'm supposed to believe he is willfully paying people to not work? I don't know what to believe anymore when it comes to this organization.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bonerko4Konerko said:

I've been hearing for years that JR doesn't like to pay people to not do anything which is why it takes him so long to let go of people, but now I'm supposed to believe he is willfully paying people to not work? I don't know what to believe anymore when it comes to this organization.

Scouts make McDonalds-like money.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2024 at 10:02 AM, Texsox said:

I'm exactly with you. I do think JR wants to win, but by his rules. 

I do grow tired of people saying this.  

Wouldn’t we all like to be successful by our own rules.  That’s not a feather in our caps. I would like to be UFC champion by my rules, which would involve not getting hit and not working particularly hard.

Screw Reinsdorf and his rules.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Bonerko4Konerko said:

Just look at the results and you will know what to believe.

On 8/25/2024 at 8:02 AM, Texsox said:

I'm exactly with you. I do think JR wants to win, but by his rules. 

4 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I do grow tired of people saying this.  

Wouldn’t we all like to be successful by our own rules.  That’s not a feather in our caps. I would like to be UFC champion by my rules, which would involve not getting hit and not working particularly hard.

Screw Reinsdorf and his rules.

That phrasing has always bothered me because it still gives JR more credit than he deserves.

Instead I think about it this way: JR doesn’t care enough about winning that he’s willing to make any changes to the way he does things.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Snopek said:

That phrasing has always bothered me because it still gives JR more credit than he deserves.

Instead I think about it this way: JR doesn’t care enough about winning that he’s willing to make any changes to the way he does things.

I think it is really what rules and where is he drawing lines. 

Ignoring a coach sexually abusing players to win? I think we're all against that. 

Hiring a player who has legal troubles and questionable moral practices to win? Some will say yes, a lot of fans will say no. 

Not signing pitchers to long contracts and things start to get more against him with fans. 

We used to think he would never pay two managers or fire one mid season. 

At one point many fans thought locking TA into a 12 years contract was the smart thing to do.  But his cheap ass wouldn't. 

While I'm not convinced a new owner, after financing what will be a billion dollar plus acquisition of the Sox, would also double the payroll, I'd really like to find out.