8/25 Tigers vs Sox, The Quest for #100

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

100 losses that's a hell of a birthday present! (Sarcasm implied)

Four errors (remember this team was supposed to be better defensively!)

First time the franchise has ever has consecutive seasons with 100 or more losses.

They have a great chance to "three peat" next year too!

…..and maybe four peat and 5 peat, I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

IMHO Shriffren has improved, he has had one difficult job putting lipstick on the uggliest pig ever. 

He’s very unpolpular. There was an unscientific Sun Times poll about best broadcast teams in Chicago. Len and DJ got second. Sox TV took last place by a lot.

11 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

IMHO Shriffren has improved, he has had one difficult job putting lipstick on the uggliest pig ever. 

Schriffen wasn't bad today, but he would have a better time not trying to tell us this was a good team. Should have done some research before takin the job. But, in the long run, the team's performance is much more important. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He’s very unpolpular. There was an unscientific Sun Times poll about best broadcast teams in Chicago. Len and DJ got second. Sox TV took last place by a lot.

They also took last in a national baseball pool.

• Paper Bag 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Now that I think of it, Stoney had an entertaining joke about Cleveland's 120 loss season. The reason the Sox should be most embarrassed is there's no help on the horizon. The team's top minor league prospects aren't going to save the franchise from 100 losses anytime soon. And the Sox won't spend money.

Seriously there should be talk of contracting the team. If Jerry won't sell (even that wouldn't fix things for 5 years or so minimum) they should force it to move to Vegas or Nashville.

3 minutes ago, Highland said:

Schriffen wasn't bad today, but he would have a better time not trying to tell us this was a good team. Should have done some research before takin the job. But, in the long run, the team's performance is much more important. 

I liked that his voice was not Wink Martendale-ish and he was calm and he was not a complete homer during loss number 100. Lot of crews would not have mentioned it.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Now that I think of it, Stoney had an entertaining joke about Cleveland's 120 loss season. The reason the Sox should be most embarrassed is there's no help on the horizon. The team's top minor league prospects aren't going to save the franchise from 100 losses anytime soon. And the Sox won't spend money.

Seriously there should be talk of contracting the team. If Jerry won't sell (even that wouldn't fix things for 5 years or so minimum) they should force it to move to Vegas or Nashville.

I agree with this. This is not a major league team.  And they won't be in the foreseeable future. MLB should not allow this to continue. 

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I saw that over the weekend. The Cubs TV booth did not get a lot of love either. 

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They also took last in a national baseball pool.

That was at Awful Announcing which runs that poll every year.

The previous season Benetti/Stone finished 6th if I remember right. 

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

None of this is happening, not yesterday, not today and not tomorrow. The Sox make money...that's the bottom line for MLB.

And yet again. MLB can get a LOT more money from an expansion fee, than moving the Sox to a smaller market population wise and media size. 

I think we can put this delusion to bed don't you?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

None of this is happening, not yesterday, not today and not tomorrow. The Sox make money...that's the bottom line for MLB.

And yet again. MLB can get a LOT more money from an expansion fee, than moving the Sox to a smaller market population wise and media size. 

Contracting will not happen, but it should. This is not a major league team and won't be for a long time.

1 hour ago, Highland said:

I agree with this. This is not a major league team.  And they won't be in the foreseeable future. MLB should not allow this to continue. 

Agreed. So what rule should MLB put in place to fix it? 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Would the expansion fee be greater for Chicago or Nashville? 

Move the Sox to Nashville and let the bidding begin for a Chicago franchise. Added bonus the expansion team in Chicago would make the playoffs sooner. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If they lose this one, it will be 4-33 their last 37.  Except for WestEddy and Schriffen, everyone would agree that is unacceptably bad,

Is this actually true? OMG I knew they still were losing series but WOW. Again, that has to be as bad a stretch of games in baseball history. Think about that. Four wins, 37 losses. Holy cow. Seriously how come nobody wants to talk about contraction like greg?? Team doesn't deserve to continue on. Give us an expansion club.

52 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

They won’t contract but if this is going to be the norm then MLB should get pushback on scheduling. The unbalanced schedule will put those teams that don’t often play the Sox at a severe disadvantage.

One of the year's best posts. Sox are so bad it can affect the races by whether you play them a lot or not.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Vaughn is now over .700 OPS, one thing about him though he’s not very good, he doesn’t quit.

I agree. I can't hate on him too much. His stats are almost turning him into an MLB caliber player albeit a very mediocre one. Somebody said he's hitting .270 over 30 games. Credit to him. I do think he needs some coaching. He swings too hard and would be a terror if he went oppo more same with Sheets.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Agreed. So what rule should MLB put in place to fix it? 

I know of no such rule. All I know is that I am not buying into this so-called rebuild. It is nothing but a scam on major league scale.

4 minutes ago, Highland said:

I know of no such rule. All I know is that I am not buying into this so-called rebuild. It is nothing but a scam on major league scale.

By all mean, we should have never broke up that 56 win team.  They were so close...

• Haha 1