8/25 Tigers vs Sox, The Quest for #100

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Now that I think of it, Stoney had an entertaining joke about Cleveland's 120 loss season. The reason the Sox should be most embarrassed is there's no help on the horizon. The team's top minor league prospects aren't going to save the franchise from 100 losses anytime soon. And the Sox won't spend money.

Seriously there should be talk of contracting the team. If Jerry won't sell (even that wouldn't fix things for 5 years or so minimum) they should force it to move to Vegas or Nashville.

It’s getting close to the point that League intervention is almost necessary.  They are so bad that they are affecting the competitive balance of the league.  Does anyone honestly think three ALC teams should make the post-season?  No, but they get to play the White Sox so often that it skews the Wild Card standings.

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Would the expansion fee be greater for Chicago or Nashville? 

Move the Sox to Nashville and let the bidding begin for a Chicago franchise. Added bonus the expansion team in Chicago would make the playoffs sooner. 

I'm guessing Nashville (Sports Illustrated estimated it will be around two billion dollars). Chicago is a split market remember, the Cubs are still here and will also demand financial compensation for an expansion team "invading" their territory. 

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

None of this is happening, not yesterday, not today and not tomorrow. The Sox make money...that's the bottom line for MLB.

And yet again. MLB can get a LOT more money from an expansion fee, than moving the Sox to a smaller market population wise and media size. 

I think we can put this delusion to bed don't you?

Yep.  MLB will never let the Sox move.  The market is simply too large and the Cubs, Brewers, and Cardinals are powerful enough that their owners would block any future expansion into Chicago if the Sox ever left.  It’s simply not happening.  

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Vaughn is now over .700 OPS, one thing about him though he’s not very good, he doesn’t quit.

The issue is…as a horrible defensive 1b, you need to hit the cover off the ball to justify your position on a roster.  A .700 OPS isn’t even close.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

It’s getting close to the point that League intervention is almost necessary.  They are so bad that they are affecting the competitive balance of the league.  Does anyone honestly 3 three ALC teams should make the post-season?  No, but they get to play the White Sox so often that it skews the Wild Card standings.

It's ludicrous to think Manfred and the league is going to "step in" and do something. 

What do you expect them to do? Force JR out?

He'll have MLB in court faster than you can sneeze.

As long as the Sox are making money and they are, MLB could care less.

So like I've told others, keep yourself in shape, eat right, see your doctor and hope to outlive current ownership. 

1 hour ago, Highland said:

I know of no such rule. All I know is that I am not buying into this so-called rebuild. It is nothing but a scam on major league scale.

So which option are you going with? 

1- follow another team 

2- give up baseball

3- keep following the team while expecting a decade of 1,000 losses?

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm guessing Nashville (Sports Illustrated estimated it will be around two billion dollars). Chicago is a split market remember, the Cubs are still here and will also demand financial compensation for an expansion team "invading" their territory. 

Good points. 

Just now, Texsox said:

1- follow another team 

2- give up baseball

Option #4

Outlive current ownership and hope for better days 

• Like 1

From Steve Greenberg's post game story in the Sun-Times:

"The Sox are the equivalent of a winless NFL team. So bad, so inept, so embarrassing, the 2024 season will be etched into baseball lore forevermore.

The 2003 Tigers fell to 34-100 on Aug. 30. The 1962 Mets, a first-year expansion team, fell to 34-100 on Aug. 29 en route to a record 120 losses. The Sox will break their own loss record (106 in 1970) before tangling with the Big 1-2-0. What a pathetic scene that will be as it plays out.

With a winning percentage of .237, the Sox are in range of going lower than the 1916 Philadelphia A’s, who went 36-117 for a percentage of .235 — the worst of the modern era. Yes, that’s really a measuring stick now. It’s amateur hour at Guaranteed Rate Field.

As pitcher Jonathan Cannon spoke in hushed tones with the media after the game, All-Star lefty Garrett Crochet slumped in a chair two stalls over, staring bullets into his phone screen and shaking his head in clear disgust. It said a mouthful, indeed."

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As pitcher Jonathan Cannon spoke in hushed tones with the media after the game, All-Star lefty Garrett Crochet slumped in a chair two stalls over, staring bullets into his phone screen and shaking his head in clear disgust. It said a mouthful, indeed."

The Sox are going to have to trade Crochet for sure this offseason.  It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t want to be here.

40 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's ludicrous to think Manfred and the league is going to "step in" and do something. 

So like I've told others, keep yourself in shape, eat right, see your doctor and hope to outlive current ownership. 

At least they care!

IMG_1337.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I wish they'd get embarassed, examined more nationally. We're in a new era of media that won't 'go there' on many topics. One apparently is going after rich baseball owners cause the Sox should really be mocked, criticized, laughed at nationally pretty much non stop. This badness is almost unprecedented. Remember that one year the Sixers won only 9 games? This reminds me of that and that was pre-tank.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox are going to have to trade Crochet for sure this offseason.  It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t want to be here.

Yeah but who can blame him? Nobody. I can only imagine how bad it is for them to come to work everyday. here's yet another series they've already dropped 3 and may lose all 4 to a team. It's happening over and over. Unprecedented. Those players have to be numb.

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I do, it's called new ownership. 

aren't the Sox owned by a Reinsdorf Ownership Group though? Even if he sells his shares or passes, wouldn't the group still own the team?

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Even if he did want to be here he needs to be swapped for multiple players. 

If a middle of the road franchise somewhere offered you $4,000,000 a year as a free agent how much more would it take to get you to come to the Sox? 

That's what Getz has to deal with. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JTB said:

At least they care!

IMG_1337.png

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wish they'd get embarassed, examined more nationally. We're in a new era of media that won't 'go there' on many topics. One apparently is going after rich baseball owners cause the Sox should really be mocked, criticized, laughed at nationally pretty much non stop. This badness is almost unprecedented. Remember that one year the Sixers won only 9 games? This reminds me of that and that was pre-tank.

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

NBA has done it.  NFL, too.

10 hours ago, Rusty said:

It’s getting close to the point that League intervention is almost necessary.  They are so bad that they are affecting the competitive balance of the league.  Does anyone honestly think three ALC teams should make the post-season?  No, but they get to play the White Sox so often that it skews the Wild Card standings.

The entire league plays a balanced schedule now so I guess it evens out lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rusty said:

The AL is actually pretty terrible this year, so I do think all three ALC teams deserve to make it over other fringe contenders.

But yeah, to your point, what a gift that must be to play the Sox so many times.

11 hours ago, Texsox said:

1- follow another team 

2- give up baseball

Maybe number three with deep reservations. I do not have any expectations of this franchise and won't invest emotions in it.  I won't invest money either as 2004 will be the first time since 1981 when I will not have attended a game. Not worth it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oldsox said:

How about Ted Sepian. This is a direct parallel.

Perfect parallel to Snyder and Sterling?  Sure, totally agreed.  Again, let me know when Jerry has a racist or sexual assault accusation that levels the team.

Stepian sucked and was intensely disliked by everyone and was bounced for many reasons that Jerry isn’t really in the realm of

IMG_4405.png

Look, I wish Jerry did something worse than run this operation the way he does, but embarrassing on the field results aren’t going to force the other teams to oust him

• Like 1