5-move day: Ramos and Peralta called up, Bush sent down, Senzel jettisoned and Jacob Amaya claimed. Ramos back down, Amaya up.

Quin

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

July 29, 2000 - With the Sox badly in need of pitching at the trade deadline due to injuries to starters Cal Eldred and James Baldwin, G.M. Ron Schueler (a former pitcher with the team in the 1970’s) went off in another direction acquiring catcher Charles Johnson and DH Harold Baines. It was Baines’ third stint with the Sox and while he and Johnson helped offensively, it did nothing to lighten the load on the pitching staff.

That staff, even though they’d go on to win the division, suffered even more arm injuries to starters Jim Parque and Mike Sirotka and relief pitchers Bobby Howry and Kelly Wunsch. The Sox would pay for Schueler’s mistake the following season since the staff was decimated, many coming off surgeries.

It should be noted however, in his defense, that some of the pitchers the Sox were rumored to be interested in like Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling, said they would not accept a trade to Chicago for various reasons.

Yep, that team definitely needed pitching more than Charles Johnson, even though it was a good trade.  I do remember the rumors around Mussina when he was with the Orioles.

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What they do with Crochet and Robert is much more important...since no adding through FA except at the margins and no future Frank Thomas or Robin Ventura to rely upon until the 2026 draft.

Meanwhile another version of Jacob Gonzalez on the way next year at #10.

Yay?

The person mostly responsible for Jacob Gonzalez is no longer in the org. I’d bet on the pick having significantly more upside than that. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The person mostly responsible for Jacob Gonzalez is no longer in the org. I’d bet on the pick having significantly more upside than that. 

Edited by oldsox
delete

42 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

What happened to Jacob Gonzalez’s hot streak?  His numbers looked pretty good for awhile, but he must’ve gone back into a massive slump.

AA happened.  His new home stadium happened, as opposed to more hitting friendly A ball environs.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That was also a great day.  

Who is that person?

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Guessing I know who you got your info from on this... but the person responsible for Gonzalez is very much still the scouting director. 

This is insanity.  Say what you will about the lack of spending, horribly inaccurate talent evaluation, inability to develop players, training staff that can’t keep players on the field…this type of move is gross incompetence and completely irresponsible roster management.  They seriously can’t plan more than two days in advance…

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to 5-move day: Ramos and Peralta called up, Bush sent down, Senzel jettisoned and Jacob Amaya claimed. Ramos back down, Amaya up.

Lol, absolutely hilarious.  Let Ramos play an extended stretch and see what he can do.  Amaya can't hit at all.  When a much better organization than you like the Astros decides to DFA someone, and the Dodgers trade them for Miguel Rojas, it is a really safe bet they suck.

• Like 1