5-move day: Ramos and Peralta called up, Bush sent down, Senzel jettisoned and Jacob Amaya claimed. Ramos back down, Amaya up.

Quin

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Panic is really setting in about avoiding the all time loss record and how that will doom the marketing department efforts in the off season...since only additional pay roll cuts are forthcoming.

Eh, Guaranteed Rate was able to make a commercial about Giolito being the worst pitcher so think of what they can do if the Sox turn this around next season??

Had to rely on ChatGPT for this, but the 2021 Orioles made the most roster moves in a single season with 63.

I'm trying to figure out how many roster moves the Sox have made but it's genuinely difficult to quantify at this point with all of the moving chairs.

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

Had to rely on ChatGPT for this, but the 2021 Orioles made the most roster moves in a single season with 63.

I'm trying to figure out how many roster moves the Sox have made but it's genuinely difficult to quantify at this point with all of the moving chairs.

Probably would need to go through the page below month-by-month and see if it could be copied and pasted to a spreadsheet, while filtering out any noise.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/roster/transactions

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Same old same old, constant rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. 
Getz is grasping at straws, I have no idea why. 
This might be the most important off-season in White Sox franchise history starting with who will be the new manager. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

This might be the most important off-season in White Sox franchise history starting with who will be the new manager. 

What they do with Crochet and Robert is much more important...since no adding through FA except at the margins and no future Frank Thomas or Robin Ventura to rely upon until the 2026 draft.

Meanwhile another version of Jacob Gonzalez on the way next year at #10.

Yay?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

If Getz whiffs on the Crochet and Robert trades like he did on his trades for Fletcher and Vargas, you may as well close up shop for 5+ years.  That’s probably how long it will take for Getz to build something even close to resembling a major league quality lineup from his existing farm system and the draft, since we know he won’t be a player for any good free agent position players.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

48 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Sox need a core of good hitters that hit a lot of home runs. Robert and Vaughn can't do it alone.

Must add a few guys that can hit 20+ HR. HRs will also bring fans back in the park.  Open the wallet and add some key free agents.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Sox need a core of good hitters that hit a lot of home runs. Robert and Vaughn can't do it alone.

Must add a few guys that can hit 20+ HR. HRs will also bring fans back in the park.  Open the wallet and add some key free agents.

Agree but easier said than done as long as JR controls the purse strings.

10 minutes ago, tray said:

Robert and Vaughn will both be long gone before this is even a .500 team again.

12 minutes ago, tray said:

You mean like Jimenez and Sheets and Burger?

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You mean like Jimenez and Sheets and Burger?

Tray reminded me of the 2000 lineup.  Five 20+ HR hitters, some well above or slightly below 20 HR in that lineup.  Team batting line of .286 / .356 / .470 / .826 on the season.  Beastly lineup but we never had the pitching in those days to win in the playoffs.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oh, you know why…  because he’s bad at his job.

Bryan Ramos is raking at AAA. I'm not sure why bringing him up to the parent club and DFAing Senzel is a bad move. 

They should also drop Bush back to AAA and maybe get another look at Nastrini. Have an extra bullpen arm until Bush's slot comes up again. 

I don't get Jacob Amaya, but maybe it's just to have a body at AAA to replace Ramos. Again, I don't see how parking a warm body at AAA is an example of "being bad at his job". 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Tray reminded me of the 2000 lineup.  Five 20+ HR hitters, some well above or slightly below 20 HR in that lineup.  Team batting line of .286 / .356 / .470 / .826 on the season.  Beastly lineup but we never had the pitching in those days to win in the playoffs.

That team could really hit but all the starters were hurt heading into the playoffs, our top 4 starters, Sirotka, Parque, Baldwin and Eldred were a combined 52-25, not bad.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Bryan Ramos is raking at AAA. I'm not sure why bringing him up to the parent club and DFAing Senzel is a bad move. 

They should also drop Bush back to AAA and maybe get another look at Nastrini. Have an extra bullpen arm until Bush's slot comes up again. 

I don't get Jacob Amaya, but maybe it's just to have a body at AAA to replace Ramos. Again, I don't see how parking a warm body at AAA is an example of "being bad at his job". 

I was referring to the rhyme or reason behind both Senzel and Amaya, not the Ramos move.

Ramos should be up, as well as Colas.  Benintendi can DH, and maybe he keeps hitting.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

That team could really hit but all the starters were hurt heading into the playoffs, our top 4 starters, Sirotka, Parque, Baldwin and Eldred were a combined 52-25, not bad.

All four of those guys suffered serious injuries along with a few bullpen guys like Wunsch and Howry.

I remember reading that somehow if the Sox got by Seattle Jerry Manuel had no idea who'd he be able to pitch in the next round. 

Then that off season you had "Shouldergate" with Wells/Sirotka and Kenny Williams having a press conference to defend the Sox medical/training staffs. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I was referring to the rhyme or reason behind both Senzel and Amaya, not the Ramos move.

Got it. I'm guessing Senzel was in anticipation of more moves at the trade deadline. Senzel couldn't be optioned, and Amaya replaces Ramos at AAA. 

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Got it. I'm guessing Senzel was in anticipation of more moves at the trade deadline. Senzel couldn't be optioned, and Amaya replaces Ramos at AAA. 

I guess that makes sense then.  I read it wrong and thought Amaya was headed to the big league club.  Now add Colas and let Benintendi DH.

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

All four of those guys suffered serious injuries along with a few bullpen guys like Wunsch and Howry.

I remember reading that somehow if the Sox got by Seattle Jerry Manuel had no idea who'd he be able to pitch in the next round. 

Then that off season you had "Shouldergate" with Wells/Sirotka and Kenny Williams having a press conference to defend the Sox medical/training staffs. 

That season also had one of my favorite deadline trades.  Harold Baines was already done by that time but Charles Johnson was awesome when they acquired him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That season also had one of my favorite deadline trades.  Harold Baines was already done by that time but Charles Johnson was awesome when they acquired him.

July 29, 2000 - With the Sox badly in need of pitching at the trade deadline due to injuries to starters Cal Eldred and James Baldwin, G.M. Ron Schueler (a former pitcher with the team in the 1970’s) went off in another direction acquiring catcher Charles Johnson and DH Harold Baines. It was Baines’ third stint with the Sox and while he and Johnson helped offensively, it did nothing to lighten the load on the pitching staff.

That staff, even though they’d go on to win the division, suffered even more arm injuries to starters Jim Parque and Mike Sirotka and relief pitchers Bobby Howry and Kelly Wunsch. The Sox would pay for Schueler’s mistake the following season since the staff was decimated, many coming off surgeries.

It should be noted however, in his defense, that some of the pitchers the Sox were rumored to be interested in like Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling, said they would not accept a trade to Chicago for various reasons.

• Like 1