8/28 Games

BamaDoc

Teams split. Kanny and Birmingham each win, W-S and Charlotte both lose. Charlotte had a bullpen game and got crushed. AHT is up from AA and got hit hard. At Birmingham Gowens had another good start. Pallette continued his domination in relief. 2IP, 4K. Gladney continued his torrid start to AA with 2 HR.

11 hours ago, mac9001 said:

You have to believe Pallette gets another shot at starting, probably at AA to start the year next year.

Unless the Sox know something we all don't about Pallette and starting, you absolutely give him another shot at it next year.  You can always move him back to the pen.  But knowing how hard up the Sox are for relievers, they probably won't.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless the Sox know something we all don't about Pallette and starting, you absolutely give him another shot at it next year.  You can always move him back to the pen.  But knowing how hard up the Sox are for relievers, they probably won't.

Wait, is Rick Hahn back?

Pallette was better as a reliever in college than he was as a starter. It's possible the routine fits his body better. That is not an unknown phenomenon.  Plus, Pallette is possible the most valuable member of a solid top group of relievers along with Adler, Coffey, AHT, and maybe Cousin. As a starter, he's behind at least Thorpe, Cannon, Adams, Davis Martin, Nastrini, Bush, Schultz, Smith, and Taylor. You could argue Carela, Batiste, Schweitzer, and Gowens are ahead of him as well.  Point is, maybe he's better off as a multi-inning reliever who could make the majors at some point next year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Pallette was better as a reliever in college than he was as a starter. It's possible the routine fits his body better. That is not an unknown phenomenon.  Plus, Pallette is possible the most valuable member of a solid top group of relievers along with Adler, Coffey, AHT, and maybe Cousin. As a starter, he's behind at least Thorpe, Cannon, Adams, Davis Martin, Nastrini, Bush, Schultz, Smith, and Taylor. You could argue Carela, Batiste, Schweitzer, and Gowens are ahead of him as well.  Point is, maybe he's better off as a multi-inning reliever who could make the majors at some point next year.

I think this is where I'm at. He could probably start, but the MIRP routine is clearly working for him and being a top 3 RP in the system is probably more valuable than being a top...12? SP right now.

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Let's wait before we start calling anything in the Sox possession a top group of relievers until they can prove it at the highest level.

6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

In terms of nothing else but raw value, you should always want your best pitchers to go through the system as starters until they absolutely prove they cannot do so.  I don't care about how many starters we think we have, I promise you we don't.  If he fails again, cool, move him back to the pen.  But they absolutely should be trying to do everything they can for his value by starting him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

In terms of nothing else but raw value, you should always want your best pitchers to go through the system as starters until they absolutely prove they cannot do so.  I don't care about how many starters we think we have, I promise you we don't.  If he fails again, cool, move him back to the pen.  But they absolutely should be trying to do everything they can for his value by starting him.

I just did a deep dive on Sox pitching and there just aren't a lot of starting jobs available. Next year, I see the Sox rotation as (Crochet traded) 1. Martin 2. Thorpe 3. Cannon 4. Nastrini 5 ????/Flexen That would make Charlotte 1. Burke 2. Bush 3. Eder 4. Adams 5. Iriarte. Birmingham is 1. Schultz (with no innings limit) 2. Smith 3. Carela 4. Schweitzer 5. ???/Riley Gowens. W-S is really crowded with 1. Grant Taylor 2. Aldrin Batista 3. Seth Keener 4. Lucas Gordon 5. Tanner McDougal 6. Shane Murphy 7. Tommy Vail.  Who do you bump to give Pallette a starting spot? I could see Gowens, but Pallette did not get it done in A+, hard to bump him to AA as a starter. Plus, Gowens is an older guy who has had a great year. I guess someone like Bush or Burke could win a job in spring training, opening up a AAA slot for Schultz, but I doubt they want to up his innings and move him to the AAA bandbox simultaneously. I suppose you could bump 3 of Gordon, McDougal, Murphy, and Vail to the bullpen. Both Murphy and Vail have been swingmen in the past. I think to find innings to make Pallette a starter again, they'd have to do another trade like Mena for Fletcher, only this time they should get someone who may have a prayer of hitting in the majors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I just did a deep dive on Sox pitching and there just aren't a lot of starting jobs available. Next year, I see the Sox rotation as (Crochet traded) 1. Martin 2. Thorpe 3. Cannon 4. Nastrini 5 ????/Flexen That would make Charlotte 1. Burke 2. Bush 3. Eder 4. Adams 5. Iriarte. Birmingham is 1. Schultz (with no innings limit) 2. Smith 3. Carela 4. Schweitzer 5. ???/Riley Gowens. W-S is really crowded with 1. Grant Taylor 2. Aldrin Batista 3. Seth Keener 4. Lucas Gordon 5. Tanner McDougal 6. Shane Murphy 7. Tommy Vail.  Who do you bump to give Pallette a starting spot? I could see Gowens, but Pallette did not get it done in A+, hard to bump him to AA as a starter. Plus, Gowens is an older guy who has had a great year. I guess someone like Bush or Burke could win a job in spring training, opening up a AAA slot for Schultz, but I doubt they want to up his innings and move him to the AAA bandbox simultaneously. I suppose you could bump 3 of Gordon, McDougal, Murphy, and Vail to the bullpen. Both Murphy and Vail have been swingmen in the past. I think to find innings to make Pallette a starter again, they'd have to do another trade like Mena for Fletcher, only this time they should get someone who may have a prayer of hitting in the majors.

For my two cents, Pallette has a higher ceiling and floor than almost all of those guys.  Find a spot for him.  Hell there is a real chance by the time we break spring training, a spot will have opened up anyway.  Injuries happen, as do trades and failures.  He should spent the winter ramping up as if he is starting, and then get to spring and figure it out.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

For my two cents, Pallette has a higher ceiling and floor than almost all of those guys.  Find a spot for him.  Hell there is a real chance by the time we break spring training, a spot will have opened up anyway.  Injuries happen, as do trades and failures.  He should spent the winter ramping up as if he is starting, and then get to spring and figure it out.

Well, clearly he doesn’t have a higher floor as a starter because they all stuck in rotations, and he didn’t. As far as pure ceiling, he’s probably somewhere in the middle. Schultz, Smith, Taylor, and Iriarte all have way higher ceilings than him. Batista, Carela, Eder, Bush, and McDougal probably have similar ceilings. I think at this point, you have your view and I have mine. Either way, I hope he has a long career in the majors.

• Like 1