Baseball is dying, a history

28 minutes ago, nrockway said:

In terms of its place in American society and culture, they weren't exactly wrong. Major League Baseball is alive and well but I don't think you could call the sport "America's pastime" anymore. 

Very true that moniker belongs to the juggernaut called the NFL.

I still think it is our Pastime because it’s played almost everyday for at least 6 months and with spring training and the post season it’s 8+ months long.

Football is probably now more popular but a game that is only played once a week is not a pastime.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I still think it is our Pastime because it’s played almost everyday for at least 6 months and with spring training and the post season it’s 8+ months long.

Football is probably now more popular but a game that is only played once a week is not a pastime.

But it is basically now played every night of the week, holidays like Christmas included.

Back when I was a kid it was blasphemous to even think about playing on Christmas Day.  

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But it is basically now played every night of the week, holidays like Christmas included.

Back when I was a kid it was blasphemous to even think about playing on Christmas Day.  

I was thinking more in the line of individual teams, they play basically 1 game a week, maybe 2 if they are the Thursday game.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I wonder how many people are interested in the game vs. interested in gambling.

• Like 2