8/29 vs Rangers 1:10

36 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don’t get angry anymore.  I expect failure.

You can name one no doubt successful Getz trade — Robbie Grossman for Anthony Hoopii-Tuionetoa.  I challenge anyone to tell me another no doubt good trade that Getz has made.

And even amongst his two good offseason signings (Fedde and DeJong), he traded one of his best trade assets for possibly the worst hitter and fielder in baseball in Miguel Vargas.

Like I said, a blind, drunk monkey simply throwing darts at pictures of players taped to a wall would be more successful than the players that Getz supposedly scouts and chooses.

The Santos trade was a no doubt successful trade. 100 loss teams have no use for good relievers so getting essentially 3 prospects for him is an easy win. 

40 minutes ago, T R U said:

The Santos trade was a no doubt successful trade. 100 loss teams have no use for good relievers so getting essentially 3 prospects for him is an easy win. 

Are you sure?  The draft pick was nice but the player return look like trash.  DeLoach is an aging outfielder who apparently has no power and Berroa has a 6+ ERA in the minors.  A good GM gets a better return than that for a good flamethrowing reliever with a low ERA, good strikeout rate, and 4 years of control.

Like you said, just because the Sox are terrible and didn’t need a quality closer doesn’t mean we should get back sh1t for him.  Santos had value, and it seems like only the Sox knew about his injury issues.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Snopek said:

I mean, there is a lot of sweeping going on.

4-37? That's really bad. That has to be an all time futility record for a 41 game stretch. I mean it proves (again) this is not a big league team/franchise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Vaughn is struggling again, average down to .240 after a 'fair' month or so.

It says something when the Sox 'best hitter' amongst qualified hitters is Gavin Sheets with .240 average!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Are you sure?  The draft pick was nice but the player return look like trash.  DeLoach is an aging outfielder who apparently has no power and Berroa has a 6+ ERA in the minors.  A good GM gets a better return than that for a good flamethrowing reliever with a low ERA, good strikeout rate, and 4 years of control.

Like you said, just because the Sox are terrible and didn’t need a quality closer doesn’t mean we should get back sh1t for him.  Santos had value, and it seems like only the Sox knew about his injury issues.

Kahnle trade still looking bad all these years later....

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

When you consider how bad our team is, how bad our team will be for a while, and the wasteland of our minor leagues I would say getting 3 prospects for an injured middle reliever with no track record of sustained success was definitely a win for the White Sox.

DeLoach didn't do anything in his very brief stint at the MLB level, but hes 25 and hit .285 with a .777 OPS at the AAA level so at least there's a chance you can get something out of him even if its a 4th OFer.

Berroa is a 24 year old reliever, the results aren't there but if they can get his walks under control you have something. Hes got a big time arm.

And then of course the draft pick, a LHP prep arm who alone I would have rather had than some reliever throwing 50 innings on a 120 loss team.

The other thing to consider here is Santos threw a whole 5 innings for the Mariners this season and who knows if he will ever do anything close to what he did in 2023 again.

25 minutes ago, T R U said:

When you consider how bad our team is, how bad our team will be for a while, and the wasteland of our minor leagues I would say getting 3 prospects for an injured middle reliever with no track record of sustained success was definitely a win for the White Sox.

DeLoach didn't do anything in his very brief stint at the MLB level, but hes 25 and hit .285 with a .777 OPS at the AAA level so at least there's a chance you can get something out of him even if its a 4th OFer.

Berroa is a 24 year old reliever, the results aren't there but if they can get his walks under control you have something. Hes got a big time arm.

And then of course the draft pick, a LHP prep arm who alone I would have rather had than some reliever throwing 50 innings on a 120 loss team.

The other thing to consider here is Santos threw a whole 5 innings for the Mariners this season and who knows if he will ever do anything close to what he did in 2023 again.

DeLoach just turned 26.  He is definitely an aging prospect for what the Sox need.  It’s the same reason Fletcher was a bad acquisition — too damn old for a team that won’t be competitive for years.

And it doesn’t really matter that Santos hasn’t pitched this year.  That’s using hindsight.  He had value last offseason.  If we all knew the future, Getz probably keeps Cease and gets a better return for him than he did last year, because as of right now it looks like he got back a backend starter that may need TJ, a bust outfield prospect, and a decent pitching prospect.

The idea to trade these guys was right, but Getz got back a questionable return as usual.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

DeLoach just turned 26.  He is definitely an aging prospect for what the Sox need.  It’s the same reason Fletcher was a bad acquisition — too damn old for a team that won’t be competitive for years.

And it doesn’t really matter that Santos hasn’t pitched this year.  That’s using hindsight.  He had value last offseason.  If we all knew the future, Getz probably keeps Cease and gets a better return for him than he did last year, because as of right now it looks like he got back a backend starter that may need TJ, a bust outfield prospect, and a decent pitching prospect.

The idea to trade these guys was right, but Getz got back a questionable return as usual.

DeLoach has 9 games under his belt, his minor league performance is encouraging and even if he just becomes a 4th OFer the trade then becomes a slam dunk because as I said previously, 100 loss teams have no use for good relievers. You can make the argument that Santos doesn't even fall under that category as he one good season of 66 IP.

Santos did have value, that's why the Sox got 2 close to MLB ready prospects and a draft pick for him. Its hard for me to not see this one as anything but a win, as I have a hard time believing you were getting anything more valuable than the package we got back.

As far as Cease goes, who knows what kind of performance he would have had on this team this season. Im still happy with the package we got back as I think Thorpe is definitely an MLB pitcher, Iriarte looks promising, and I still believe in Sammy Zavala. Hes a 19 year old in Advanced A ball who had a 17% walk rate, 22% K rate, and has some pop. Not ready to call him a bust just yet.

1 hour ago, T R U said:

DeLoach has 9 games under his belt, his minor league performance is encouraging and even if he just becomes a 4th OFer the trade then becomes a slam dunk because as I said previously, 100 loss teams have no use for good relievers. You can make the argument that Santos doesn't even fall under that category as he one good season of 66 IP.

Santos did have value, that's why the Sox got 2 close to MLB ready prospects and a draft pick for him. Its hard for me to not see this one as anything but a win, as I have a hard time believing you were getting anything more valuable than the package we got back.

As far as Cease goes, who knows what kind of performance he would have had on this team this season. Im still happy with the package we got back as I think Thorpe is definitely an MLB pitcher, Iriarte looks promising, and I still believe in Sammy Zavala. Hes a 19 year old in Advanced A ball who had a 17% walk rate, 22% K rate, and has some pop. Not ready to call him a bust just yet.

We're not particularly good at drafting, getting guys like Berroa and DeLoach back is meaning less if none of them ever become 2-3 fWAR regular...just moving around deck chairs on the Titanic without getting an Adam Eaton or Carlos Quentin somewhere along the line.

Aroldis Chapman turning into Rates has almost single handedly made the Royals a contender these last two seasons.

That's a GREAT trade, period...even going against the odds with two TJs.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We're not particularly good at drafting, getting guys like Berroa and DeLoach back is meaning less if none of them ever become 2-3 fWAR regular...just moving around deck chairs on the Titanic without getting an Adam Eaton or Carlos Quentin somewhere along the line.

Aroldis Chapman turning into Rates has almost single handedly made the Royals a contender these last two seasons.

That's a GREAT trade, period...even going against the odds with two TJs.

That was a great trade for the Royals, but like you said it was way against the odds. Ragans was not a blue chip prospect and he was pretty bad as well at the time of the trade as a 25 year old. The Royals should be thrilled with how that worked out.