Nicky Lopez placed on waivers

2 hours ago, wegner said:

He really seems to be a guy Soxtalk will bring up in 15 years...."remember when they played Nicky Lopez almost every day that season? Boy did he suck!!!"

It's the Sox MO - TLR always played Leury.

Then there's Gavin Sheets

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

I don't fault Nicky, he is what he is and his value is coming off the bench for baserunning or as a defense replacement.

Right.  Guys here are too tough on him.  He hits .240ish, hustles, decent defense, etc.  If he is slightly overpaid, so what?

34 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

I don't fault Nicky, he is what he is and his value is coming off the bench for baserunning or as a defense replacement.

Yeah, Nicky Lopez has played like...Nicky Lopez this year.  I don't think anyone was really expecting anything different.  It's just sad that the team was constructed so he needed to play every day.  He'd have been fine as a bench piece.

Him being on waivers doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I'd be surprised if he is DFAd.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, Nicky Lopez has played like...Nicky Lopez this year.  I don't think anyone was really expecting anything different.  It's just sad that the team was constructed so he needed to play every day.  He'd have been fine as a bench piece.

Him being on waivers doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I'd be surprised if he is DFAd.

Except Getz acquired Lopez to be the starting 2B from the beginning, not a bench piece.

Also, why would you be surprised if Lopez is DFA?  His $4.3 million salary is a sunk cost already and Baldwin, Sosa, and Amaya should get most of the at bats in the infield over a guy the Sox are going to non-tender anyways.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Except Getz acquired Lopez to be the starting 2B from the beginning, not a bench piece.

Also, why would you be surprised if Lopez is DFA?  His $4.3 million salary is a sunk cost already and Baldwin, Sosa, and Amaya should get most of the at bats in the infield over a guy the Sox are going to non-tender anyways.

With the way they hyped him up in all of the early season promos, he definitely wasn't riding the pine.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Please, no more Sosa, bring up Montgomery and play him every day at SS with Baldwin out there everyday at 2B.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Please, no more Sosa, bring up Montgomery and play him every day at SS with Baldwin out there everyday at 2B.

Nah, I'd rather they played Lopez at 2B or SS with Baldwin playing the other spot before calling up Montgomery for no reason.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I agree.  He shouldn't have been designated as the starting 2B of a major league team.  But, this is the White Sox we're talking about.  And because it's the White Sox is why I'd be surprised if he's DFAd.  They've made few smart decisions this year.

2 hours ago, Johno said:

one thing about Nicky, he at least seemed to care, there are about 10 to 12 guys on that team who have thrown in the towel, including our “superstar” Robert!

I think you overestimate the amount of players who don't just flat out suck on this team.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Montgomery hasn't exactly set the International League on fire and his numbers have only gotten worse as the season has gone on. After hovering around .700 OPS for about a month, he finally dropped below .700 and seems to be trending toward .666 (!!!). Couple that with his mediocre defense, we might wanna pump the brakes on this guy a little bit. What are the odds he ends up as a first baseman who can't hit? We already have a couple guys like that. What are the odds that the player development/hitting staff did this to him? I suspect very high. 

Is he recovering from a back injury and he'll be fine next year? Maybe. But calling up our "best" hitting prospect so that he can go 0 for 100 seems to me like it would be the s%*# cherry on top of a s%*# sundae called the 2024 White Sox. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a bunch of guys eating innings so we don't rush anyone to Chicago before they are ready. Salaries are crazy the one year average is more than most people earn in a lifetime. 

6 minutes ago, Johno said:

There is no reason Nicky should be playing any more this season, ALL at bats should be going to Baldwin!!!

How do you do that?  All at bats to one guy?  ALL in all caps.

Edited by oldsox