8/30/24 Gamethread Miracle Mets at Miracle Max' White Sox 7:10 Central

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How this guy is still getting playing time is beyond me.  How much more do the Sox need to see from Sheets to realize he’s bad?

The sad thing is he is leading the team in batting average this season!

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Boy that was a bad game. Pathetic again. That record is beyond belief. I know we've said it before but loss after loss. It's just unbelievable. Reinsdorf is lucky the media is dead. If this were the era with real columnists at the papers he'd be blasted daily. Like the Mariotti era. I bet even Royko woulda went after JR even tho he loves the Cubs.

No doubt that the Sox won’t come close to the 1962 Mets, these bums might not win another game, there should be no way in hell that Getz should keep his job after this abomination of a season, JR needs to admit his mistakes and apologize to the fans which I know is a stretch but if the man has just a small iota of a conscience he would do it and regardless of his tax situation the greedy bastard needs to sell the club.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How this guy is still getting playing time is beyond me.  How much more do the Sox need to see from Sheets to realize he’s bad?

It’s maddening. There’s zero reason for him to be in their future plans, so there’s zero reason for him to be playing (other than the reason of “White Sox”).

32 minutes ago, Snopek said:

It’s maddening. There’s zero reason for him to be in their future plans, so there’s zero reason for him to be playing (other than the reason of “White Sox”).

You know for a fact the Sox have themselves convinced Sheets is a decent player since he leads the team in BA.  The recent “hot streak“ talk is hilarious, he’s a DH with one home run in 2 months.  He’s a complete liability in the field, has 8 HR and 39 RBI on the season.  A .240 avg and .681 OPS isn’t even remotely acceptable for a guy that can’t play the field.  That being said, someone mentioned the broadcast talking about how well Sheets has handled RF this season so…guess who is probably your 2025 starting RF…

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/chicago-white-sox-mlb-losses-1962-mets-0ee63124

Not long after the New York Mets set the modern record for losses in a single season in 1962, Craig Anderson was given a packet recapping the carnage day by day, game by miserable game. A pitcher on that historic squad, Anderson has held on to that collection of paper for 62 years as a twisted reminder of the summer the Mets finished 40-120. He even made copies. 

Anderson unearthed his keepsake from his files recently, after learning that the Mets’ mark of futility that has stood for more than six decades could soon fall. The Chicago White Sox, who begin a series against the Mets on Friday, are 31-104. That puts them on a pace to finish a disastrous 37-125. 

For the past week or so, Anderson has been checking every day to see how the current White Sox compare to his Mets. He could tell you that on the morning of Aug. 30, the Mets were 34-100. He never imagined another team could be even worse.

It’s going to happen most likely sometime,” said Anderson, now 86. “I just didn’t expect it’d happen in my lifetime.”

Edited by joejoesox

and just for the record, there have been more poorly assembled teams than this who weren't this bad

everyone with a jersey number, outside of Crochet, is a miserable failure and will have to wear this as a badge of shame for the rest of their lives

I can't imagine being part of the Sheets family though, yikes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

and just for the record, there have been more poorly assembled teams than this who weren't this bad

everyone with a jersey number, outside of Crochet, is a miserable failure and will have to wear this as a badge of shame for the rest of their lives

They both have big league pensions.

Pretty pretty good I'd say.

33 minutes ago, Rusty said:

You know for a fact the Sox have themselves convinced Sheets is a decent player since he leads the team in BA.  The recent “hot streak“ talk is hilarious, he’s a DH with one home run in 2 months.  He’s a complete liability in the field, has 8 HR and 39 RBI on the season.  A .240 avg and .681 OPS isn’t even remotely acceptable for a guy that can’t play the field.  That being said, someone mentioned the broadcast talking about how well Sheets has handled RF this season so…guess who is probably your 2025 starting RF…

Fully expecting them to go into next year continuing to deploy their Kmart brand “Bash Brothers” duo of Sheets and Vaughn at 1B/DH.

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I find this hard to believe but numbers are numbers:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/08/30/gavin-sheets-not-letting-sox-season-drag-him-down

In 18 games since Aug. 7, he was hitting .385 (25-for-65) with five doubles and a home run for a .902 OPS. Only the Yankees’ Aaron Judge (.397) and the Astros’ Yordan Alvarez (.397) had higher batting averages in that span.

7 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

No doubt that the Sox won’t come close to the 1962 Mets, these bums might not win another game, there should be no way in hell that Getz should keep his job after this abomination of a season, JR needs to admit his mistakes and apologize to the fans which I know is a stretch but if the man has just a small iota of a conscience he would do it and regardless of his tax situation the greedy bastard needs to sell the club.

JR's arrogance doesn't allow him to apologize.

In fact I can only recall him doing it one time, that was before Game #2 of the 1993 ALCS when he apologized to the team because of the Michael Jordan retirement situation which took away from Game #1.

I know it doesn't matter cause of tv contracts and all that, but how in the hell can they sell even 1000 season tickets for next season? And how could any corporations waste time advertising for Jerry's clowns. It just makes no sense that this team makes billions of dollars.

Edited by greg775

3 hours ago, joejoesox said:

How about the guys like Brebbia who were released....how does it feel to not be good enough to play for the worst team EVER??

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I know it doesn't matter cause of tv contracts and all that, but how in the hell can they sell even 1000 season tickets for next season? And how could any corporations waste time advertising for Jerry's clowns. It just makes no sense that this team makes billions of dollars.

It still does matter but significantly not as much. This isn't 1959, 1964 or 1977 anymore. Attendance doesn't drive the car anymore, it is the TV deals and the domestic and international revenue streams. 

4 hours ago, joejoesox said:

How many have been on the team all year, off the top of my head, Vaughn, Sheets, Lopez, Benintendi, Robert, Lee, Crochet, Flexen, I know the bullpen has gone through a complete change since opening day so no one there. I probably missed someone but does it matter.
So really the eight I mentioned are the poor guys that have to live with the infamy of the worst team in MLB history in the modern age but they aren’t poor so when you come down to it, it’s the die hard fans that have to live with this abomination of a season.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It still does matter but significantly not as much. This isn't 1959, 1964 or 1977 anymore. Attendance doesn't drive the car anymore, it is the TV deals and the domestic and international revenue streams. 

yeah but there's also revenue sharing, and the sox being bad is bad for a lot of other teams right?

10 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

yeah but there's also revenue sharing, and the sox being bad is bad for a lot of other teams right?

Depends on how you look at it, there have been other terrible franchises recently aka Kansas City, for years Tampa Bay immediately come to mind.

I never heard or read anyone crying about how their ineptitude was impacting other teams financially.

MLB is now a 10 billion dollar a year business, that from Manfred himself. I think the sport will survive with the Sox being atrocious and embarrassing. (I wish they were a top flight operation myself though...)

• Quin locked this topic