9/1 GT - Mets at Sox (1:10pm CT)

41 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The latest entry for the This Day In White Sox History folder:

September 1, 2024 – It was a record setting day for the White Sox and not in a good way.

The Mets shut out the Sox 2-0 at Guaranteed Rate Field and handed the South Siders their 107th loss of the season breaking the franchise record of 106 losses set in 1970.

In addition the loss was the 10th straight marking three times the team produced double-digit losing streaks that year. They lost 14 in a row from May 22 through June 6 and they lost 21 straight from July 10 through August 5.

They also went 0-10 on the homestand, the first time in franchise history that ever happened.

I have book somewhere, I think my aunt got it for me early 90s about the Sox seasons. It goes up to 1988 if not mistaken. Did you write it? 

32 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

A few more facts. 4-40 last 44 games. Worst 44 game stretch since 1916 when the As went 3-41. Sox 3 10 plus losing streaks. Had 13 total before this season. And since 2013, only the Marlins have a worse cumulative record.

The Marlins stat is telling. This was a long time coming. This organization has been on the down slide since winning the division in 2008. Look at the rosters during 1990s and early 2000s. Even when they were not going to the playoffs, they had some talented players on the team. For so long, they have had so few. It gives fans a helpless feeling because there is nothing we can do. This franchise is an absolute disgrace.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think when the 26 is so talentless and the ability to spend is so low this is kind of season il you get. Go ahead fire Getz the other GMs wont treat his successor any better in trades . They know JR only cares about the money.

You're talking about firing him on principle because of a bad record and miniscule bad moves . When you're working with under $5M for anyone you sign you're not going to be making significant moves. The reality is it would be a cosmetic move designed to make you think someone more qualified might provide slightly more hope. At least you still think it might make a difference. I don't. One puppet replaced by another.

I’m for firing Getz because he might be the worst evaluator of talent ever.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I have book somewhere, I think my aunt got it for me early 90s about the Sox seasons. It goes up to 1988 if not mistaken. Did you write it? 

No sir, I've contributed to books on the Sox but have never written one myself. 

15 minutes ago, Highland said:

The Marlins stat is telling. This was a long time coming. This organization has been on the down slide since winning the division in 2008. Look at the rosters during 1990s and early 2000s. Even when they were not going to the playoffs, they had some talented players on the team. For so long, they have had so few. It gives fans a helpless feeling because there is nothing we can do. This franchise is an absolute disgrace.

All you can do as a fan is hope to be around for new ownership. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Ownership that wants to get things right and embrace the fan base. It's gonna take a lot. Hazmat is needed for this org

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s funny is any new owner would immediately fire Getz and bring in an external replacement.

And that’s the problem right now. Obviously Getz took over a bad situation with an awful owner.  However, his terrible, terrible trades just keep setting things back. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Highland said:

McKinney's hit was a bullet. One of the hardest hits I have ever seen. Roland Hemond did a great job as GM to improve that team. We need a topflight GM now.

Hemond and Dombroski knew what they were doing. Definitely top echilon of GMs.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

And that’s the problem right now. Obviously Getz took over a bad situation with an awful owner.  However, his terrible, terrible trades just keep setting things back. 

I just don't know how anyone with a clue about baseball could look at any aspect of Vargas' game and think....that's the guy we need back in a trade. He's a zero tool player.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

14 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I just don't know how anyone with a clue about baseball could look at any aspect of Vargas' game and think....that's the guy we need back in a trade. He's a zero tool player.

Took about five at bats to see his load and swing are absolutely awful 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Seriously. What did they see in him? An awful swing, and he can't defend AT ALL. There's literally nothing there.

Can’t hit velocity, has a bad follow-through as well, and he doesn’t hit the ball hard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Terrible trades and signings.  He basically destroyed the success of his one really good signing (Fedde) with the garbage return he got for him.

Truly amazing that Vargas was their target.  He had already shown nothing in 424 plate appearances with the Dodgers and I have no idea why they would want a guy with a poor glove as well.

What in the hell did Tosar and Getz see in this guy?  That’s his second major failed player acquisition after Fletcher.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s funny is any new owner would immediately fire Getz and bring in an external replacement.

Literally everyone drawing a paycheck in the front office could be fired and no one would notice.  How do you do worse than the worst of all time?

3 hours ago, fathom said:

I’m for firing Getz because he might be the worst evaluator of talent ever.

I know better than to continue this conversation but you do know he doesn't make decisions on his own. He takes info and makes a decision based on whose opinion he trusts the most.

You're also not fully aware of every offer he's had. But telling the fan base they are ignorant and trying to rationalize what's going on means nothing and doesn't go over well. Ok so you know someone recommended Fletcher over Jake McCarthy. He listened allegedly to a guy he hired.

Vargas 1.000 OPS guy in the minors you'd think he could get a .700 OPS automatically. It's not like pitchers don't make mistakes in the big leagues.  So we've establshed he doesn't know talent, great!  Now what ?

What makes you think even if Reinsdorf fired him things would be any different with the next inexperienced guy he can control ?

You do know Reinsdorf is trying to build a sports empire for his kids in Chicago and it may not include the White Sox.

You can hire and fire GMs , managers , scouts , fire em all ,replace them all, but nothing changes until the Sox are sold.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know better than to continue this conversation but you do know he doesn't make decisions on his own. He takes info and makes a decision based on whose opinion he trusts the most.

You're also not fully aware of every offer he's had. But telling the fan base they are ignorant and trying to rationalize what's going on means nothing and doesn't go over well. Ok so you know someone recommended Fletcher over Jake McCarthy. He listened allegedly to a guy he hired.

Vargas 1.000 OPS guy in the minors you'd think he could get a .700 OPS automatically. It's not like pitchers don't make mistakes in the big leagues.  So we've establshed he doesn't know talent, great!  Now what ?

What makes you think even if Reinsdorf fired him things would be any different with the next inexperienced guy he can control ?

You do know Reinsdorf is trying to build a sports empire for his kids in Chicago and it may not include the White Sox.

You can hire and fire GMs , managers , scouts , fire em all ,replace them all, but nothing changes until the Sox are sold.

He’s helped develop and build the worst team in baseball history and has made some horrible acquisitions.  I will take my chances on a different philosophy compared to his “high floor, low ceiling” bullshit.  Getz apparently did an amazing job of convincing people he had no say in the awful acquisitions the past few years, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

A few more facts. 4-40 last 44 games. Worst 44 game stretch since 1916 when the As went 3-41. Sox 3 10 plus losing streaks. Had 13 total before this season. And since 2013, only the Marlins have a worse cumulative record.

I feel like such an idiot. All I had to do was put $1,000 on the line for the Sox to lost every game for the last 44 games and I would have $36,000.

Dumb f*** me says hello to dumb f*** you.

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

All you can do as a fan is hope Reinsdorf moves this team and an expansion team comes in.  

Somebody correctly noted that an expansion team would be easier to build than this disaster a franchise.

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You do know that as GM Getz is responsible for hiring the guys he trusts to give him info.  It’s not like he’s helpless and has to go find guys he trusts at the corner saloon.

• Like 1