9/1 GT - Mets at Sox (1:10pm CT)

10 minutes ago, Highland said:

I can remember sitting in Old Comiskey watching the 1970 team lose 106. They weren't nowhere near this bad. At least owner John Allyn had one excuse. He didn't have a lot of money and he did what he could to keep the franchise from collapsing.

And they made an amazing turnaround, improving by 23 games in 1971 and coming close to a Division title in 1972.

10 minutes ago, Highland said:

I can remember sitting in Old Comiskey watching the 1970 team lose 106. They weren't nowhere near this bad. At least owner John Allyn had one excuse. He didn't have a lot of money and he did what he could to keep the franchise from collapsing.

At least fans of that team could discuss why in the world the owner had an astroturf infield and grass outfield. Not so aesthetically beautiful.

21 minutes ago, Highland said:

Not sticking up for Getz, but the Sox went 12 years without winning a division under Williams/Hahn, and that didn't seem to bother JR.

There's about 40 games worth of difference between this season and a typical Hahn season.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There's about 40 games worth of difference between this season and a typical Hahn season.  

When you make every wrong personnel decision possible, you deserve to be fired

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

It was ugly.

Especially when it rained and the turf was wet. So ugly. ... at least the fans could count Melton's homers. And wonder how Luis Alvarado had a job in the bigs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

And they made an amazing turnaround, improving by 23 games in 1971 and coming close to a Division title in 1972.

44,250 attended the opener in 1971. The Sox won 3-2 with a run and Comiskey went nuts. There's nothing like hope. Would like to have hope now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Yeah I don’t want to hear any excuses for Getz, his roster construction is a huge part of why this is about to be record setting bad. 

After the big 4 of Benintendi, Robert, Jimenez and Moncada the highest paid White Sox position players this year is Leury Garcia's $5.5M. After that it's whatever Maldonado and Lopez got paid. Maybe Vaughn and Pham after that.

On the pitching side Fedde made around $5M of his $15M 2 year contract.

If JR attaches Benitendi's contract to Roberts in a trade the payroll may be the lowest in baseball next year.

1 minute ago, Highland said:

44,250 attended the opener in 1971. The Sox won 3-2 with a run and Comiskey went nuts. There's nothing like hope. Would like to have hope now.

Remember it well, they came home after winning a doubleheader opening day in Oakland, they won the home opener on a walk off  hit by Rich McKinney

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Remember it well, they came home after winning a doubleheader opening day in Oakland, they won the home opener on a walk off  hit by Rich McKinney

That had to be the highlight of McKinney's career. He was no JC Martin that's for sure.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

After the big 4 of Benintendi, Robert, Jimenez and Moncada the highest paid White Sox position players this year is Leury Garcia's $5.5M. After that it's whatever Maldonado and Lopez got paid. Maybe Vaughn and Pham after that.

If JR attaches Benitendi's contract to Roberts in a trade the payroll may be the lowest in baseball next year.

It actually was lowest one season of the first "rebuild."

The latest entry for the This Day In White Sox History folder:

September 1, 2024 – It was a record setting day for the White Sox and not in a good way.

The Mets shut out the Sox 2-0 at Guaranteed Rate Field and handed the South Siders their 107th loss of the season breaking the franchise record of 106 losses set in 1970.

In addition the loss was the 10th straight marking three times the team produced double-digit losing streaks that year. They lost 14 in a row from May 22 through June 6 and they lost 21 straight from July 10 through August 5.

They also went 0-10 on the homestand, the first time in franchise history that ever happened.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

McKinney's hit was a bullet. One of the hardest hits I have ever seen. Roland Hemond did a great job as GM to improve that team. We need a topflight GM now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The latest entry for the This Day In White Sox History folder:

September 1, 2024 – It was a record setting day for the White Sox and not in a good way.

The Mets shut out the Sox 2-0 at Guaranteed Rate Field and handed the South Siders their 107th loss of the season breaking the franchise record of 106 losses set in 1970.

In addition the loss was the 10th straight marking three times the team produced double-digit losing streaks that year. They lost 14 in a row from May 22 through June 6 and they lost 21 straight from July 10 through August 5.

They also went 0-10 on the homestand, the first time in franchise history that ever happened.

Please wake me up, this is the worst nightmare ever.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It doesn’t matter how much money he has to spend, he’s done nothing at all to instill confidence that he can make good moves. 

Brett Ballantini of South Side Sox just sent me this factoid:

"I counted up all the 10+ losing streaks ever, I think the total count in MLB history is 102. 98 seasons didn’t even have three 10+ streaks across THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Only one other team, ever, had done what the White Sox did today, the 1962 Mets, with three 10-game+ losing streaks."

• Paper Bag 2

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Brett Ballantini of South Side Sox just sent me this factoid:

"I counted up all the 10+ losing streaks ever, I think the total count in MLB history is 102. 98 seasons didn’t even have three 10+ streaks across THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Only one other team, ever, had done what the White Sox did today, the 1962 Mets, with three 10-game+ losing streaks."

Yeah, this is literally the worst baseball team of all time. In 2024, incredible how that’s even possible. 

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

34 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

A 23 game turn around after this year might not even get them to double digit losses.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, T R U said:

It doesn’t matter how much money he has to spend, he’s done nothing at all to instill confidence that he can make good moves. 

I think when the 26 is so talentless and the ability to spend is so low this is kind of season il you get. Go ahead fire Getz the other GMs wont treat his successor any better in trades . They know JR only cares about the money.

You're talking about firing him on principle because of a bad record and miniscule bad moves . When you're working with under $5M for anyone you sign you're not going to be making significant moves. The reality is it would be a cosmetic move designed to make you think someone more qualified might provide slightly more hope. At least you still think it might make a difference. I don't. One puppet replaced by another.

• Like 1