Thorpe season ending bone spur surgery in elbow

fathom

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Did they say they never found a bone spur? They're just announcing the surgery today. That doesn't mean they didn't know about it already. 

Never give this stupid organization the benefit of the doubt.  You can almost always assume they fucked up.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How does this even get missed with how X-rays, MRI’s, and CT scans are done for almost anything and everything, even for high school athletes?  This is a major league team (well, not really).  Amazing.

Again, not the first time they missed an obvious injury from what I’ve been told.

Didn't the Padres have Darvish pitching with a spur? I think there are a few non surgical treatments before getting cut. Some pitchers believe the surgery may leave their elbow "loose".

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Missing injuries and saving money on callups by not sending guys to the IL.  What an absolute joke of a team.

if it was a store, it would need to go out of business.  It’s totally broken in every aspect 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How does this even get missed with how X-rays, MRI’s, and CT scans are done for almost anything and everything, even for high school athletes?  This is a major league team (well, not really).  Amazing.

Thorpe said it showed up on the original MRI so the Sox knew about it, but based on his comments a week or so ago to the media, where he said things were progressing and the strain seemed to be on the mend, tells me that he was indeed throwing with the spur being known.

Why all of a sudden now it was decided to shave it down (which by the way doesn't guarantee the issue won't return) I have no idea. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Didn't the Padres have Darvish pitching with a spur? I think there are a few non surgical treatments before getting cut. Some pitchers believe the surgery may leave their elbow "loose".

Yu Darvish, another Padres starter who landed on the IL last week, was shut down in September with a bone spur in his right elbow and opted for rest over arthroscopic surgery.Jun 6, 2024

Padres' Joe Musgrove has bone spur, bone bruise in right elbow

An MRI revealed a bone spur in Musgrove's right elbow, and he received a PRP injection -- in addition to the cortisone shot he previously received.Jun 6, 2024

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Never give this stupid organization the benefit of the doubt.  You can almost always assume they fucked up.

The Sox are obviously a bad organization, but I'm still going to trust the judgement of a medical staff more than a group of 6 terminally online Soxtalk posters who aren't bored by posting the shame s%*# over and over everyday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

The Sox are obviously a bad organization, but I'm still going to trust the judgement of a medical staff more than a group of 6 terminally online Soxtalk posters who aren't bored by posting the shame s%*# over and over everyday.

Well, it sure appears that you put your trust in the wrong staff, sorry to say.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This is a major league team (well, not really).

😆

I love how every single post has now become a mini-roast of the White Sox. 

They fucking deserve it.

• Like 3

There was a time when we trusted White Sox doctors and heavily criticized a player for ignoring their advice and went out of the country for a surgery not available in the US. 

Years of losing on the field and injuries had taught us to distrust the team doctors whose goal is to destroy careers and franchise value. 

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, JR running his team like Circuit City while all the other teams are Best Buy’s.

Ran more like Electric Avenue (monkey wards). This org does everything on the cheap, probably waited for a 2 for 1 special or a Groupon to perform the surgery.

Season ticket holders need to picket in front of the stadium. This sucks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

You are going to trust the organization who has put up the worst season in 125 years of modern mlb.  That's a heck of a statement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have zero faith in the Sox medical staff and would absolutely trust any random person on the street that doesn’t appear to be on crystal meth more than the training staff.  The amount of soft tissue injuries this team has from simple things like running the bases or chasing a fly ball in the outfield, the weird situation like just having Baldwin not play for a week with a wrist injury instead of putting him on the 10 day IL, basically telling Yoan Moncada to come back when you’re ready.  As recently as 2 seasons ago 5 players in the active lineup were told to not go “too hard” on the base paths for fear of injury.  None of these things are normal in a professional sports organization.  Hell they aren’t normal in a semi-serious amateur sports organization.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Don't know if this is related to the dreaded "forearm soreness" or not. 

If it is, this is actually good news, because it means TJS isn't in the short term forecast.

But it is interesting that the MRI's they did, and the Sox publicly stated there was nothing wrong with the UCL, how could they not see a bone spur?

And why did it take them weeks to find it?

Perhaps the trainers/doctors on the site can explain this. 

There can be inflammationin the elbow around the bone spur, not knowing if the bone spir is the cause of the inflammation. They let the inflammationgo down and work them back up to pitching. If the inflammation returns, then they determined that the bone spur is the issue and not something else. This is when surgery is indicated.

Similar to bone spurs in the heel for many people. Many people have them but only some are actually symptomatic. Too many people get surgery to remove the bone spur only to find out that it wasn't the cause of the issue.

Just because something shows up on Imaging doesn'tmean it it causing the issue.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It wasn't missed. Just because something shows on Imaging doesn't mean it is the cause of an issue.

Studies have been done on people with no history of back pain and up to 30% are diagnosed with herniated discs.

I say MRI stands for More Radiographic Income. They can help prove the clinical diagnoses but should not be used on their own. They need to be interpreted based on the clinical findings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

CC Sabathia pitched with a bone spur for 4 years and dominated. 

I would bet 50% of all MLB pitchers have a bone spur to some extent in their elbow. The size and placement makes a big difference in the symptoms.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ptatc said:

It wasn't missed. Just because something shows on Imaging doesn't mean it is the cause of an issue.

Studies have been done on people with no history of back pain and up to 30% are diagnosed with herniated discs.

I say MRI stands for More Radiographic Income. They can help prove the clinical diagnoses but should not be used on their own. They need to be interpreted based on the clinical findings.

Just for the record, what are you a doctor of? Because, no offense meant, but my physical therapists for sports related injuries always left s%*# like this to the experts. Like, orthopedic surgeons and such.