Thorpe season ending bone spur surgery in elbow

fathom

8 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

No, I trust medical professionals more than you.

There are medical professionals that legitimately thought Ivermectin should be used to treat COVID. There are medical professionals who pushed the vaccines causing autism bullshit for decades. I had a "medical professional" I went to see once, who didn't understand that 16 Oz. of coffee per day was not 16 cups....

These are the kinds of medical professionals the White Sox employ. Medical professionals can be imbeciles just like any other profession. 

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Texsox said:

There was a time when we trusted White Sox doctors and heavily criticized a player for ignoring their advice and went out of the country for a surgery not available in the US. 

Years of losing on the field and injuries had taught us to distrust the team doctors whose goal is to destroy careers and franchise value. 

Magglio Ordonez hernia surgery...for example.

9 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

There are medical professionals that legitimately thought Ivermectin should be used to treat COVID. There are medical professionals who pushed the vaccines causing autism bullshit for decades. I had a "medical professional" I went to see once, who didn't understand that 16 Oz. of coffee per day was not 16 cups....

These are the kinds of medical professionals the White Sox employ. Medical professionals can be imbeciles just like any other profession. 

With Northwestern Medical and so many other shining lights, it's really a shame that the standard of care for Sox players has gone downhill so much in the last decade.

• Like 1

Submitted for discussion (and the above posters make some valid points):

This was told to me for my November 2022 story, I have no idea if he is still employed by the Sox but just the fact that he was hired and given a position of responsibility says a lot doesn't it? 

“You know about Mike Reinold right? (Author’s Note: Reinold is the White Sox Senior Medical Advisor) He was fired by the Red Sox because he was injecting players with Toradol.” (Author’s Note: Bleacher Report had a story on this situation published in February 2013. Here is the link to that story: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530943-ex-red-sox-trainer-mike-reinold-injected-players-with-controversial-substance) 

15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Submitted for discussion (and the above posters make some valid points):

This was told to me for my November 2022 story, I have no idea if he is still employed by the Sox but just the fact that he was hired and given a position of responsibility says a lot doesn't it? 

“You know about Mike Reinold right? (Author’s Note: Reinold is the White Sox Senior Medical Advisor) He was fired by the Red Sox because he was injecting players with Toradol.” (Author’s Note: Bleacher Report had a story on this situation published in February 2013. Here is the link to that story: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530943-ex-red-sox-trainer-mike-reinold-injected-players-with-controversial-substance) 

Exactly my point. The White Sox can't even hire competent baseball people. What the f*** makes people believe any other department is different? Especially when you're not willing to pay market value for any employees??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And a JR hired medical professional almost killed Luol Deng.

Anyone who has paid attention to the history of the medical/training staff of the Bulls and Sox over the last twenty years knows they can't be trusted.

Imagine a medical staff that orders a spinal tap before....a fucking flu test.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Just for the record, what are you a doctor of? Because, no offense meant, but my physical therapists for sports related injuries always left s%*# like this to the experts. Like, orthopedic surgeons and such.

Depends on how closely you work with the docs and if you have worked for the professional sports teams. If you work with the professional sports team you work closely with the docs. Your PT at the corner clinic may not. 

As for the answer to your first question, I am a doctor of education.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Anyone who has paid attention to the history of the medical/training staff of the Bulls and Sox over the last twenty years knows they can't be trusted.

Imagine a medical staff that orders a spinal tap before....a fucking flu test.

You do understand that the spinal tap was ordered and done at a hospital after he was admitted to the ER and had nothing to do with the Bulls medical staff.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You do understand that the spinal tap was ordered and done at a hospital after he was admitted to the ER and had nothing to do with the Bulls medical staff.

THEIR medical staff diagnosed him with meningitis. They didn't even bother to test him for flu. Which is why he was given a spinal tap. The story has been told a hundred times already, and this detail is always the same.

5 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

THEIR medical staff diagnosed him with meningitis. They didn't even bother to test him for flu. Which is why he was given a spinal tap. The story has been told a hundred times already, and this detail is always the same.

They did think he may have it. Sent him to the hospital where they have the capabilities to do the tests. They agreed based on the symptoms. The anesthesiologist did the spinal tap and didn't calculate the fluid properly. 

Back then no one had the ability to do the testing for flu or anything else except the medical facilities.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They did think he may have it. Sent him to the hospital where they have the capabilities to do the tests. They agreed based on the symptoms. The anesthesiologist did the spinal tap and didn't calculate the fluid properly. 

Back then no one had the ability to do the testing for flu or anything else except the medical facilities.

The entire fucking situation was bush league medical care. There was zero reason to believe the guy had fucking spinal meningitis. Defending any aspect of the diagnosis or follow-up is just insane to me. Reinsdorf run organizations have a proven track record of questionable and borderline negligent medical care, and it's pretty undeniable.

The number of incompetent idiots that work in the medical field is honestly just terrifying. Myself and other family members have sought second opinions on a number of "diagnoses" that just made absolutely no sense, and were proven to be abject stupidity upon immediate scrutiny by competent medical professionals. There's actually an entire hospital system that I avoid at this point, because of their track record of incompetence. 

This was 2013, my friend. RIDTs have been available since the fucking 90's. What do you mean "back then no one had the ability to do the testing for flu or anything else except the medical facilities"? ANY doctor had access to these tests. I would assume a billion dollar sports organization would perhaps have one real doctor on their payroll? RIDTs were way, way more readily available after the 2009 influenza pandemic. 

Edited by Paulie4Pres

5 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

The entire fucking situation was bush league medical care. There was zero reason to believe the guy had fucking spinal meningitis. Defending any aspect of the diagnosis or follow-up is just insane to me. Reinsdorf run organizations have a proven track record of questionable and borderline negligent medical care, and it's pretty undeniable.

The number of incompetent idiots that work in the medical field is honestly just terrifying. Myself and other family members have sought second opinions on a number of "diagnoses" that just made absolutely no sense, and were proven to be abject stupidity upon immediate scrutiny by competent medical professionals. There's actually an entire hospital system that I avoid at this point, because of their track record of incompetence. 

This was 2013, my friend. RIDTs have been available since the fucking 90's. What do you mean "back then no one had the ability to do the testing for flu or anything else except the medical facilities"? ANY doctor had access to these tests. I would assume a billion dollar sports organization would perhaps have one real doctor on their payroll? RIDTs were way, way more readily available after the 2009 influenza pandemic. 

His symptoms were severe enough that they thought is could be meningitis. This was why he was sent to the ER and admitted to the hospital. They also thought it was severe enough to do the spinal tap. There wouldn't have been those kind of testing facilities at the stadium.

While he was misdiagnosed it wasn't by one person in the Bulls organization and he did the diagnosis and the spinal tap. Once he was admitted to the ER it wasn't in their hands.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ptatc said:

His symptoms were severe enough that they thought is could be meningitis. This was why he was sent to the ER and admitted to the hospital. They also thought it was severe enough to do the spinal tap. There wouldn't have been those kind of testing facilities at the stadium.

While he was misdiagnosed it wasn't by one person in the Bulls organization and he did the diagnosis and the spinal tap. Once he was admitted to the ER it wasn't in their hands.

Sure man. Whatever you say. It's totally normal for a professional athlete, who wasn't exposed to anyone with meningitis, to be diagnosed with meningitis and given a spinal tap. Especially before ruling out less serious illnesses. Give me a fucking break.

P.S. We had the results of a flu test back in 2013, for my son, in 24 hours. From a pediatric office. You're telling me the Chicago fucking Bulls couldn't administer said test and get the results? lol... Just a further indictment on their staff, if true.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

Summary/conclusion: I"m not expecting to hear anything significant about Drew again. Just another damaged pitcher. Sad. It's not his fault I'm just stating this whole situation reeks. Like the fact it's just getting shaved down and could return, etc.

It's pretty wild when it's more risky to be a baseball pitcher nowadays than a football linebacker. My gosh, all these pitchers wind up hurt significantly. I don't see how any organization could pay a pitcher for multi year contracts. Almost assuredly part of that time will be in a hospital. Sad stuff. Get well, Drew.

2 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Sure man. Whatever you say. It's totally normal for a professional athlete, who wasn't exposed to anyone with meningitis, to be diagnosed with meningitis and given a spinal tap. Especially before ruling out less serious illnesses. Give me a fucking break.

P.S. We had the results of a flu test back in 2013, for my son, in 24 hours. From a pediatric office. You're telling me the Chicago fucking Bulls couldn't administer said test and get the results? lol... Just a further indictment on their staff, if true.

Where is luol Deng from? Meningitis spreads quickly. When someone from my daughters collegiate team was sent the the hospital because they thought she had meningitis, she didn't but had a spinal tap, they quarantined her and separated the entire team from everyone until they got tested.

You don't think they are going to be overly cautious during the NBA playoffs? If others around would get it, it would endanger everyonein the locker room and stadium.

You stick with your informed, objective opinion. I'll stick with my 35 years of working in sports medicine and we'll disagree.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Where is luol Deng from? Meningitis spreads quickly. When someone from my daughters collegiate team was sent the the hospital because they thought she had meningitis, she didn't but had a spinal tap, they quarantined her and separated the entire team from everyone until they got tested.

You don't think they are going to be overly cautious during the NBA playoffs? If others around would get it, it would endanger everyonein the locker room and stadium.

You stick with your informed, objective opinion. I'll stick with my 35 years of working in sports medicine and we'll disagree.

I didn't realize that NBA players were returning to their home countries in the middle of the playoffs.... Weird. Why does where he's from matter at all in this conversation? He had been in the country THE ENTIRE SEASON. Lmao.

Also, way to conveniently ignore how easy it was in 2013 to get a fucking flu test. Which the Bulls medical staff failed to do, before RECOMMENDING A SPINAL TAP.

You're out to lunch on this topic, but it's not surprising, with how you have continually defended this medical and training staff over the years.

It wasn't really on the Bulls staff since they didn't perform the procedure. IIRC, they thought that he might have had meningitis so they sent him to an emergency room in a hospital to have a spinal tap (that's the definitive way to check for meningitis), and it didn't seal properly which really fucked him up...

48 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I didn't realize that NBA players were returning to their home countries in the middle of the playoffs.... Weird. Why does where he's from matter at all in this conversation? He had been in the country THE ENTIRE SEASON. Lmao.

Also, way to conveniently ignore how easy it was in 2013 to get a fucking flu test. Which the Bulls medical staff failed to do, before RECOMMENDING A SPINAL TAP.

You're out to lunch on this topic, but it's not surprising, with how you have continually defended this medical and training staff over the years.

It's good to know you are up on tour medical protocols. You know what symptoms he had, when he had them and why not just the Bulls medical staff, but the emergency room staff, infection disease staff and OR staff all agreed it was the right call.

What you don't seem to understand is that even though he didn't have meningitis, making sure he didn't have it was the correct protocol. Just because the anesthesiologist made a mistake doesn't make the decision.

I do not always defend the medical staff. I've pointed out many times where I don't think they did what they should have. However I look at each one objectively and make a decision. I don't have a blanket "of course they are wrong" view of everthing.

edit: forgot to address the where luol Deng is from comment. It os possible to have meningitis, be asymptomatic for awhile then have symptoms especially under physical stress, like a long playoff run where he played an abnormally large number of minutes.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I thought it was his knee

Correct.  Ordonez went to Austria for knee treatment that wasn’t approved in the US at the time.  The entire story was strange with the supposed lack of communication on the surgery between Ordonez and the Sox.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2004/12/10/sox-doctor-pitched-ordonez-on-austria/

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

I know he had microfracture surgery on his knee in Europe before it was approved by the FDA in the US.

Plus it was his walk year and he was done for the season. 

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's good to know you are up on tour medical protocols. You know what symptoms he had, when he had them and why not just the Bulls medical staff, but the emergency room staff, infection disease staff and OR staff all agreed it was the right call.

What you don't seem to understand is that even though he didn't have meningitis, making sure he didn't have it was the correct protocol. Just because the anesthesiologist made a mistake doesn't make the decision.

I do not always defend the medical staff. I've pointed out many times where I don't think they did what they should have. However I look at each one objectively and make a decision. I don't have a blanket "of course they are wrong" view of everthing.

edit: forgot to address the where luol Deng is from comment. It os possible to have meningitis, be asymptomatic for awhile then have symptoms especially under physical stress, like a long playoff run where he played an abnormally large number of minutes.

The hospital staff listened to the recommendations of the Bulls medical staff... That's why they checked for meningitis. You don't just default to a meningitis diagnosis and a spinal tap without reason. It's not like there was a meningitis outbreak happening at the time. You know what there was at the time? A flu outbreak in the Bulls locker room.... 

The Bulls staff is the reason he didn't get a simple fucking flu test. The fact that the anesthesiologist fucked up the spinal tap is a pretty big red flag, as well. That's the hospital system the Bulls choose to work with(Rush).

Yeah, meningitis can lay dormant for a while before being symptomatic. But it being dormant for almost a year? Come on. What an absurd stretch.

The Bulls publicly apologized for the situation. Do you think a sports organization does that if they aren't at least partially to blame for what happened?

Whatever. I'm done rehashing history from a decade ago. Reinsdorf owned teams have a long history of incompetence when it comes to medical and training staff, and deserve absolutely no benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Paulie4Pres