Comparing 1970 to today...

Lip Man 1

This is what worries me.  There is near zero visibility of any success on the horizon.  The Sox could easily be worse next season.  Getz has already stated that payroll will be cut.  Personally I expect a figure around $80m.  Robert has been disappointing but at least he’s an MLB level player and is their highest WAR position player.  If they deal him, they are immediately worse.  Almost the exact same with Moncada when they decline his option.  If they deal Crochet, Davis Martin is about the only guy that mildly resembles an MLB starting pitcher in the entire rotation.  Many of the prospects have regressed so that isn’t much help in the near term.  Next year could be very painful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

This is what worries me.  There is near zero visibility of any success on the horizon.  The Sox could easily be worse next season.  Getz has already stated that payroll will be cut.  Personally I expect a figure around $80m.  Robert has been disappointing but at least he’s an MLB level player and is their highest WAR position player.  If they deal him, they are immediately worse.  Almost the exact same with Moncada when they decline his option.  If they deal Crochet, Davis Martin is about the only guy that mildly resembles an MLB starting pitcher in the entire rotation.  Many of the prospects have regressed so that isn’t much help in the near term.  Next year could be very painful.

80 seems pretty generous if they manage to move Benintendi Robert and Crochet in the offseason 

1970 was my first year being a Sox fan. I remembered the excitement in 1971 with new players and new uniforms. Then in 1972 we finished 2nd behind the Athletics. But even the players in 1970 were better than this team. This year has been a total gut wrench.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Melton1972 said:

1970 was my first year being a Sox fan. I remembered the excitement in 1971 with new players and new uniforms. Then in 1972 we finished 2nd behind the Athletics. But even the players in 1970 were better than this team. This year has been a total gut wrench.

That team had Major League players like Aparicio, Melton, May, Herrmann, Knoop, Berry, Horlen, John and Wood just to name some.  
The pitching was pretty bad with Horlen and John who had off years. Gary Peters was traded away and they were counting on Bart Johnson but he wasn’t ready. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

That team had Major League players like Aparicio, Melton, May, Herrmann, Knoop, Berry, Horlen, John and Wood just to name some.  
The pitching was pretty bad with Horlen and John who had off years. Gary Peters was traded away and they were counting on Bart Johnson but he wasn’t ready. If that team played the 2024 Sox for 162 games, the record would be reversed with the 1970 team going 106-56.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

My fandom started in ‘72.  Who were the 3/4ths of the up-the-middle Hemond changed.  Who was the #2 starter he acquired.  What starter became the closer and vice versa?  I’m guessing Wilbur Wood is an answer to one of those questions. 

Edited by JTB
Clarity

54 minutes ago, JTB said:

My fandom started in ‘72.  Who were the 3/4ths of the up-the-middle Hemond changed.  Who was the #2 starter he acquired.  What starter became the closer and vice versa?  I’m guessing Wilbur Wood is an answer to one of those questions. 

At the winter meetings before the 1971 season started Hemond acquired players like second baseman Mike Andrews, shortstop Luis Alvarado, catcher Tom Egan, outfielders Pat Kelly, Jay Johnstone, Ed Stroud and Rick Reichardt and pitchers Tom Bradley and Vicente Romo.

Then at the winter meetings before the 1972 season he acquired first baseman Dick Allen and pitcher Stan Bahnsen. Manager Chuck Tanner then took north on the big league roster young pitchers Terry Forster and Rick "Goose" Gossage to go along with another young flame thrower in Bart Johnson.

He already had quality players on the roster like Carlos May, Ed Herrmann and Wilbur Wood.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

This.  They might win 25 games next year.  And get Lou Brown from Major League or Jake from State Farm to be the manager.

21 hours ago, Rusty said:

I see no hope for any offense for a long while. Getz can’t develop it. That has been proven. They probably will have to trade pitching depth for it, but the early returns on that is pretty lame. Deloache and Fletcher and Vargas.None seem like it would move the needle.

Edited by Dick Allen

20 hours ago, Melton1972 said:

I didn’t see the ‘70 team, but just looking at the baseball reference page I think its safe to say they’d wipe the floor with this team

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Jake out of JR's preferred salary range.

Maybe the original (actual) Jake from State Farm.

Hell - as an outsider (not in baseball at all), he’d be open to input from reputable sources, and not just JR’s “brain” “trust” (I feel like the two separate set of quotes is necessary here)